Every time I go into a darker room the screen dims and gets bright again when I leave to a brighter area. I'm thinking it's a battery saving feature, which is cool. Is there a way to turn this light sensor off so my screen will stay bright no matter what the light environment? Thank you!!
    07-15-08 12:07 PM
    Yup Go to options -> screen/keyboard -> automatically dim backlight
    07-15-08 12:14 PM
    07-15-08 12:17 PM
    The above post definitely points you in the correct direction to change the settings of your backlight.

However, it has been my experience, and the experience of several others, that no matter what setting you have your backlight on, the ambient light sensor will take over and do what it wants. So good luck with that.
    07-15-08 12:22 PM
    The above post definitely points you in the correct direction to change the settings of your backlight.

However, it has been my experience, and the experience of several others, that no matter what setting you have your backlight on, the ambient light sensor will take over and do what it wants. So good luck with that.
    ^^what she said^^
    07-15-08 12:25 PM
    Thanks. I wanted to thank the people above, but how do I select all quotes? I see in some peoples replies they have several quotes in a single response. How do I do that? Thanks!!
    07-15-08 12:26 PM
    Use the multi-quote feature. It is the little icon with the quotation marks to the left of the quote button.
    07-15-08 12:27 PM
    Use the multi-quote feature. It is the little icon with the quotation marks to the left of the quote button.
    To the right-->> LOL!
    I have a ? Why does this feature seem to bug so many people? Is it just a distraction or what? It doesn't bother me at all. IDK just curious.
    07-15-08 01:00 PM
    To the right-->> LOL!
    I have a ? Why does this feature seem to bug so many people? Is it just a distraction or what? It doesn't bother me at all. IDK just curious.
    Cool, that worked!! Thanks!!
    07-15-08 01:03 PM
    I just deal with it. It does suck when its not to bright or dark enough. Sometimes its just my finger over the sensor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 01:04 PM
    Has anybody actualy found the light sensor?

I have tried covering the speaker port, trackball assembly and the keypad. So far, I have not been able to fine it.
    07-15-08 03:22 PM
    hmm i was wondering that too...Has anybody been successful?
    07-15-08 03:29 PM
    I am not 100% sure where the ambient light sensor is either... now that I think about it!

Could is possibly be somewhere around the camera? Or maybe near the top of the LCD lense?
    07-15-08 03:33 PM
    no matter what setting you have your backlight on, the ambient light sensor will take over and do what it wants. So good luck with that.
    True and hilarious hahaha
    07-15-08 03:35 PM
    i thought it was near the led indicator light
    07-15-08 03:35 PM
    Form what I can tell, it's actually built into the screen. I've tried covering up different parts of the BB to see what does it, and nothing I've tried effects it. Then Googled for quite a while with no definitive answer, other than several sites mentioning the "screen that has a light sensor".
    07-15-08 03:37 PM
    I also assumed it would be in with the LED lights.
    07-15-08 03:38 PM
    yeah I just did a little testing, it seems to be either in the LED light or somewhere near that.
    If you cover up the LED, you'll notice the screen dims in bright light.

I did this test, right now its about 2pm and the room has normal daylight, no lights no nothing other than the computer screen. So what I did was turned on a light to make the room brighter, and covered up certain parts of the phone, it turns out, its around the LED indicator, I'm guessing in the LED spot. Who knows tho?

Try it out and post your results.
    07-15-08 03:41 PM
    yeah I just did a little testing, it seems to be either in the LED light or somewhere near that.
    If you cover up the LED, you'll notice the screen dims in bright light.

I did this test, right now its about 2pm and the room has normal daylight, no lights no nothing other than the computer screen. So what I did was turned on a light to make the room brighter, and covered up certain parts of the phone, it turns out, its around the LED indicator, I'm guessing in the LED spot. Who knows tho?

Try it out and post your results.
    I have found the same thing through testing... I was going to post and saw you had already!!

The ambient light sensor is built into the LED activity light!

I wonder if the LED light has any ill effects on the sensor if you have a waiting message, etc. hmmm...
    07-15-08 03:47 PM
    Just tested under bright light with an ink pen over the LED indicator and the dimming occured.
    07-15-08 03:48 PM
    Covering the LED light does not do anything on my 8310. Weird.
    07-15-08 03:51 PM
    Thank you for checking that out, mine is definatily associated with the LED.

You have to cover it for 5 seconds.

It makes sense, lenses work in both directions. In addition to the coloured LEDs, there is a photosensitive element in the array.

07-15-08 04:55 PM
    Thank you for checking that out, mine is definatily associated with the LED.

You have to cover it for 5 seconds.

It makes sense, lenses work in both directions. In addition to the coloured LEDs, there is a photosensitive element in the array.

lol

good searching!!!
    07-15-08 06:02 PM
    Covering the LED light does not do anything on my 8310. Weird.
    Maybe its different on the 8310??? Have you tried other areas of the phone other than the LED area??

Does everyone here that confirmed that the method worked have 8320's?? I double checked the method I used earlier and it worked still.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 08:47 PM
    Yeah. the LED is definitely the location for the ambient light sensor on the 20's. Maybe it is different for our 8310 brothers... hmm!
    07-15-08 08:51 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD