Good Afternoon,

I have my BB 8900 for less then a month and beginning today I've began having issues with contact names displaying when SMS Texts & Phone calls come in. I do not have any issue with the security not displaying the name as I am very familiar with BB having a BOLD and Pearl for a long time.

When friends SMS Text me their # shows and not their name, as well with incoming calls. I've tried a battery pull, a quickpull (via software), etc. This all began when I was on a web page and I went to send the link via SMS and chose 3 recipients, one name displayed and the other 2 came up as #s after selecting from the address book.

With the selected few contacts that I am having trouble with the name displaying, now when I goto the physical address book itself and goto edit entry or even just click on it to view, the address book wont go into the process it just stays at the list with the name highlighted.

I've tried googling and searching forums for similiar issues and all I came across were issues with people having security settings to not display address book when phone is locked.

Any word of expertise out there? Thank you in advance for help.
    10-21-09 02:14 PM
    I've tried endlessly to figure out each problem. I've had to remove facebook 1.7 and that has enabled me to now view contact entries. Now on most contacts email address and pin displays as content protection enabled but my issue with phone numbers displaying instead of text/calls hasn't stopped. I even disabled content protection and rebooted and that didn't help the phone book view or the # displaying rather then the name.

My professional technological hypothesis Facebook 1.7 module that links to phone book entries has causing a glitch and now I don't know what to do? Anyone out there have a clue?

I don't want to go thru ATT Warranty and get a refurbished phone after owning this phone less then 30 days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 08:45 AM
    Good Afternoon,

I have my BB 8900 for less then a month and beginning today I've began having issues with contact names displaying when SMS Texts & Phone calls come in. I do not have any issue with the security not displaying the name as I am very familiar with BB having a BOLD and Pearl for a long time.

When friends SMS Text me their # shows and not their name, as well with incoming calls. I've tried a battery pull, a quickpull (via software), etc. This all began when I was on a web page and I went to send the link via SMS and chose 3 recipients, one name displayed and the other 2 came up as #s after selecting from the address book.

With the selected few contacts that I am having trouble with the name displaying, now when I goto the physical address book itself and goto edit entry or even just click on it to view, the address book wont go into the process it just stays at the list with the name highlighted.

I've tried googling and searching forums for similiar issues and all I came across were issues with people having security settings to not display address book when phone is locked.

Any word of expertise out there? Thank you in advance for help.
    Now I find it funny that I also just started having this problem last night and this morning. What made me notice it though was that I could not send emails to those contacts. The name will display, but if I select show address, it just shows "content protection." No other contacts. But since I saw the next comment about facebook, that's the common thread. Each of the contacts I'm having problems with are the contacts that have their FB contacts associated with the contact in BB.

So by removing FB, you were able to edit the contact? Were you able to remove the FB link from that contact?
    10-22-09 08:54 AM
    after the uninstall, it seemed to have removed all facebook links. I am still having the issue with names not displaying, but now that I can edit the address book listing every # that hasn't been showing a name I've been going to it, going into edit and re-saving and it corrects the issue.

My only concern now is that numerous contacts who have e-mail addresses attached or PIN #s are showing as content protection enabled, and is not allowing me to view the actual address/pin. I've downgraded back to FB 1.6 and seems to not have had any affect on the contact list now except for the damage already done!

I'm shocked nobody else but us two have come aware of this, everyone was quick to post about battery life with 1.7 but no technical flaws?!?!?
    10-22-09 01:43 PM
    See my post (Facebook 1.7 vs Content Protection) for a workaround. Thanks.
    10-22-09 02:34 PM
    I'm in the same boat.

I can only view/edit some of the ppl in my contact list.

looking for a solution...
    11-07-09 01:18 AM
    11-07-09 01:38 AM
    Just re-link the contacts that have the problem with the Facebook Application and that should fix the problem.
    11-16-09 08:36 PM
    some my names display in sms messages, some don't. The common denominator between the ones that do display is that mobile number saved for the contact is without the dashes (ie: 7185551212) the contacts with mobile numbers stored in regular format (ie 718-555-1212) for some odd reason does not display the name in sms messages, and when you convert the contact info it works, but when you have well over 300 contacts, it becomes a tedious process, so I'm currently still looking for other solutions. IMO it has nothing to do with FB app because I use it too.
    11-27-09 08:27 PM
    some my names display in sms messages, some don't. The common denominator between the ones that do display is that mobile number saved for the contact is without the dashes (ie: 7185551212) the contacts with mobile numbers stored in regular format (ie 718-555-1212) for some odd reason does not display the name in sms messages, and when you convert the contact info it works, but when you have well over 300 contacts, it becomes a tedious process, so I'm currently still looking for other solutions. IMO it has nothing to do with FB app because I use it too.
    Im having this same problem. I have Skydeck installed and on my 8900 it would automaically add the names to my address book and the name would appear in my SMS list. Now on my 9700, the number of the person and not the name appears. Its frustrating because I dont want to go through all my contacts and edit them. Has anyone found a workaround for this yet?
    05-05-10 07:58 AM
    I have recently started to experience the same thing - names and numbers display in Contacts/Phone Book of my ancient Nokia 5110, but only numbers display for incoming calls and text messages. My mobile has never been connected to a computer/Internet. The only thing that has changed is the battery.

On a different site, I have discovered that it may be the format of the number.

Checking my Phone Book entries, I note that names show up when numbers are entered +44##########. I'm going to have a 'play' and see what happens. I'll get back here, if I solve it. I do know that computers fail to recognise numbers beginning with 0, so maybe this is causing the trouble.
    07-04-10 06:06 AM
    No luck! I've tried various formats for the numbers, but nothing worked. Back to the drawing-board, I think!

Might it be something external? I've had bad/no signal problems recently with O2. Is Big Brother hacking?
    07-04-10 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD