Is it safe to assume that if ATT release the 8900, it will be after T-Mobile? My friend on ATT can't wait any longer so he bought the 8320 and doesn't know if he should return it and wait or keep the 8320. Any recent developments since the ATT branded device at CES?
    01-19-09 01:43 PM
    I have not seen anything else since pics of that ATT branded device hit the net. However, I am not sure what ATT is going to do with that particular device. There has been some discussion on CB that ATT may skip this and move on to something else. We shall see. Personally, I would tell your friend to wait if he can.
    01-19-09 01:46 PM
    He could always pick up a device on ebay to help him wait? Att would release after T-mobile......no indication when or if they will. You would think they wold have the Pearl Flip by now also.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 01:55 PM
    I talked to RIM and CES and they stated the 8900 will be exclusive to T-Mo for the release in the US. Now the question is... how long is it exclusive to T-MO?? RIM refused to say.
    01-19-09 01:57 PM
    ATT will release the device after T-Mobile, that's for sure. When, we don't know yet.

There are plenty of unlocked 8900s out there. Your friend could pick up an unlocked 8900 or go to T-Mobile and get one for retail price and then have it unlocked. ATT doesn't have UMA or anything, and so no carrier-specific features would be lost by having an unlocked phone. of course, it's just EDGE, so he couldn't use it with the 3G network.
    01-19-09 02:04 PM
    ATT will release the device after T-Mobile, that's for sure. When, we don't know yet.
    I don't believe that is a sure bet any longer.
    01-19-09 02:10 PM
    I don't believe that is a sure bet any longer.
    You really think so?

I mean, ATT has made no announcement or anything, and nor as RIM. The 8900 page on RIM has T-Mobile all over it. All we know about the possibility of an ATT 8900 release is some fuzzy photos of an ATT 8900.

I mean, they got the Bold not too long ago. I don't think it makes much business sense for them to revert to EDGE and offer a non-3G phone.

And what about 8900's exclusivity to T-Mobile? Is that true?
    01-19-09 02:18 PM

Yes it is. I verified that with RIM at CES last week. The question is... how long is it for?
    01-19-09 02:21 PM
    probably at least 3 months maybe longer. I wonder how long most people are willing to wait And its no guarantee that it will be pcked up by ATT they just released the 8320 with wifi and edge so whats the incentive to crwod out a deviced from about a yesr and half ago but newly released by them? If the 8900 with 3g which would be a different number comes out they might pick it up as a replacement of sorts for the bold. Everyhtings up in the air
    01-19-09 02:35 PM
    Maybe around spring or Q2?
    01-19-09 03:48 PM
    where is BB214 when we need him?!!
    01-19-09 04:41 PM
    at&t has lowered the price of the bold to $249 from $299.....
    that is either to steal customers away from t-mobile or because they want to sell bolds due to a new product. usually they lower prices when they are about to announce a new model....if i am not wrong.
    01-19-09 07:06 PM
    I talked to RIM and CES and they stated the 8900 will be exclusive to T-Mo for the release in the US. Now the question is... how long is it exclusive to T-MO?? RIM refused to say.
    You would think that it would be for a while. However, you never know these days.
    01-19-09 07:11 PM
    Refurbs are $249. New Bolds are still $299 after $100 mail in rebate.

at&t has lowered the price of the bold to $249 from $299.....
    that is either to steal customers away from t-mobile or because they want to sell bolds due to a new product. usually they lower prices when they are about to announce a new model....if i am not wrong.
    01-19-09 07:23 PM
    i went to att today and a worker said they got confirmation that they're getting it but he said that he didn't know when they were getting it but to expect it late february into march.
    01-19-09 07:32 PM
    Yea but if they get it does this mean that they are not going to downgrade their EDGE service?

01-20-09 12:21 AM
    I'm not sure. I suspect that in some areas they have already downgraded EDGE. At least in my experience, areas that I used to get EDGE coverage, I no longer do.
    Last edited by aristile; 01-20-09 at 12:54 AM.
    01-20-09 12:26 AM
    Dammit this sucks. I can't wait for the 3g version.

01-20-09 12:34 AM
    You really think so?

I mean, ATT has made no announcement or anything, and nor as RIM. The 8900 page on RIM has T-Mobile all over it. All we know about the possibility of an ATT 8900 release is some fuzzy photos of an ATT 8900.

I mean, they got the Bold not too long ago. I don't think it makes much business sense for them to revert to EDGE and offer a non-3G phone.

I doubt ATT will release 8900..... Its not a 3G phone and has everyone forgotten ATT is dumping their EDGE network???? Why would they release an edge phone if it won't work in 6 months???? Think about it. No 8900 for ATT. They suck anyway, DESTROY THE DEATH STAR!!!!!

01-20-09 06:16 AM
    Why is everyone so harsh on ATT? There are some issues, but, overall, I do not find those issues to be deal breakers. Just me of course.

01-20-09 07:06 AM
    I doubt ATT will release 8900..... Its not a 3G phone and has everyone forgotten ATT is dumping their EDGE network???? Why would they release an edge phone if it won't work in 6 months???? Think about it. No 8900 for ATT. They suck anyway, DESTROY THE DEATH STAR!!!!!

Do you seriously believe Edge will be unavailable in 6 months time? I sure don't. If you have actual proof of this I would sure like to hear it.
    01-20-09 10:39 AM
    Do you seriously believe Edge will be unavailable in 6 months time? I sure don't. If you have actual proof of this I would sure like to hear it.
    I could be wrong, but I think it was more of an assertion. I am sure that is not the case as of yet.

ATT=Death Star, tsk tsk tsk.
    01-20-09 10:41 AM
    Atleast it has alot of memory for the SMS spam for American Idol AT&T sends you guys. And WiFi to make up for the neutered EDGE services. To bad AT&T doesn't have UMA, it would benefit you guys for AT&T's notorious outages.
    Last edited by dphorgan2; 01-20-09 at 11:00 AM.
    01-20-09 10:58 AM
    Not sure it means anything, but I did speak with a store manager and she said they will be getting them but there's no time line for a release date. I just can't deal with tmobiles shotty coverage area. Worst comes 2 worst, I'll just get a bold!
    01-20-09 02:23 PM
    Yay more good news

01-20-09 06:22 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD