Hey guys, I've had the 8900 for about 3 months now and as like the rest I now have a new addiction. I recently had a sidekick and upgraded and what a difference lol. I use the internet alot and look at videos on youtube almost all the time. I have 2 questions as of now. I'm not the smart guy when it comes to computers and such. I'm seeing alot of talk about updating the OS. Just wondering in "stupid people talk", what are some advantages and disadvantages of updating the OS and which OS (link to download if possible) would I best benefit from? Last but not least I had a question on maintaining a healthy blackberry the best I could. Like I said I use the internet alot and want to make habits from the start to make it perform he best it can for as long as it can. So are there any routine checkups you guys do that could help me out? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. Im kind of new to the whole forums gig so take it easy on me!!!! Thanks in advance.
    09-04-09 06:04 PM
    First, you did not let us know what OS you are using???

RIM is busy working on OS 5.0 release for the 8900, Bold and a few other devices... so we are not seeing any new OS releases for the 8900 right now... T-Mobile's official OS 4.6.1.231 is a very good OS version for you... please do not consider upgrade or trying an OS 5.0 until is become official with a few carriers... you can find .231 on T-Mobile's Blackberry Software site.

Read the BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS), also check out the Upgrade/Downgrade Procedures link in my signature below... additionally, check out the http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...nguage-245615/ first post to see how most will recommend to install an OS version.
    09-04-09 06:37 PM
    Sorry about that. The same one that came on the phone. I'm not sure if there all the same but mine reads v4.6.1.114. I don't plan on upgrading the system enless there is a big difference. I've read a lot of threads and I don't know if im just to new to this but I never see real advantages. All i ever see is numbers ahah. Thanks for the fast reply btw
    09-04-09 06:53 PM
    Sorry about that. The same one that came on the phone. I'm not sure if there all the same but mine reads v4.6.1.114. I don't plan on upgrading the system enless there is a big difference. I've read a lot of threads and I don't know if im just to new to this but I never see real advantages. All i ever see is numbers ahah. Thanks for the fast reply btw
    You don't plan on upgrading... even though T-Mobile officially released .231... I should just say stay there if you really want to... stay with an unsupported OS... I really have not seen a big difference is battery life, even though a number of people claim on every OS upgrade how much better their battery life is... but I have seen a much better ringtone volume and vibrate intensity... and personally I just wanted to learn more about how the upgrade process works... after doing several I must say it easy... as long as you back up your personal data and your 3rd party apps.

But all said and done... I don't care if you upgrade or you don't... so I'm not really sure why you started this thread unless you wanted a bunch of people to tell you how to do it... the decision is totally yours... that's all I have to say on this.
    09-04-09 07:19 PM
    I'm kinda scared to post now caz I feel pressured that fatboy is gonna yell at me for keeping this thread going but honestly I think You should upgrade to tmobiles official OS because if something happens and you try to claim the warranty they will ask if you're on it and if not you anything until you've done it and the problem still exists. its really easy and idk my biggest thing is I hated the stupid word wrap problem and I think it wasn't already mentioned but that is also fixed after you update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 07:44 PM
    I recommend you wait to upgrade your OS until you are comfortable with your device and using desktop manager. As for your question about maintenance, I do recommend that you install Desktop Manager and back-up your device. Back-up regularly. This way if you ever have problems and lose your settings or personal information, you will be able to restore them. A copy of Desktop Manager is on the CD that came with your device. Install it on your PC, plug your device in to your PC and launch DM. Select backup restore and select backup.

Next, read the BlackBerry 101 guide - there's a link to it in the FAQ forum. It will tell you how to do most everything you need to keep your device running well. Perhaps the most important thing you can do is properly close your open application when you're done with them - press the menu key, scroll down and select close. That's about it, every once in a while do a battery pull to keep it running well and release tied up file free memory.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by exelant; 09-04-09 at 07:54 PM.
    09-04-09 07:48 PM
    If he's not comfortable with his phone after 3 months I really don't know what to tell the guy...

09-04-09 07:50 PM
    He seemed to not have a lot of confidence, G. Not everyone is comfortable with technology.

09-04-09 07:59 PM
    I'll give him some confidence: You're beautiful and you can do it!!!!! Lol jk jk

09-04-09 08:20 PM
    Hahaha.... Yeah the only reason to upgrade the phone is if you are having issues..... Until 5.0 I'd official, so if you are happy with everything, just stay on you current OS.

It is still a Tmobile supported OS (.114) so no worries there. And if you call with an issue I am sure the Tmo BB support will talk you thru an update if needed.

And as exelant pointed out back up your phone often, I back up daily. a battery pull weekly or when you are having issues will keep things running smooth!

Check out the 101 lectures!!!!!
    09-04-09 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD