I recently installed Desktop Manager 5.0 and everything runs smoothly except I cannot tether my Curve 8330 as a laptop modem using USB. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit Intel Pentium. Under device manager both serial ports have a explanation point signaling driver trouble. Under the properties of the device in driver device details it tells me that it is trying to use the RimSerial_AMD64.sys located at the following path- c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ Both serial ports on COM4 and COM5 are having the issue. Why is Vista trying to use an AMD driver when the MOBO is all intel? Is it because my OS is running 64bit? I've tried uninstalling DM5.0 and reinstalled numerous time but can't get windows to find the correct driver online or in the system32 drivers folder. It does recgnize the driver but can't install properly. I have seen this problem in other forums and nobody had a good fix. I can tether my Curve using bluetooth. Please respond.
    Thanks in advance
    BB IT Techie
    08-07-09 12:07 AM
    Same issue here. Did you ever resolve this?
    09-29-09 09:48 AM
    Problems like these are often not that Windows cant find the right device driver, but that Windows and Plug n Pray arent allocated resources correctly.

The suggestions below are provided only if you are reasonably familiar with these things.....if you arent....you could cause more problems!

Uninstall or disable any unused devices in Device Manager, specifically any that you dont need during the install of the RIM serial port drives (if you disable stuff, you can always come back and re-enable them later).

Try msconfig - disable all NONE MS services and disable all the items under startup. Reboot and try installing the RIM serial drivers again. Once you are done, run msconfig, select "Normal Startup" and reboot.
    09-29-09 11:59 AM
    Tried this. No luck. Any other ideas?
    09-30-09 10:00 AM
    Tethering is pretty much out now with Sprint...they found a way to block us from doing it using their SprintView (I cannot even create a DUN and do it that way). Unless you have an older grandfathered plan with them, the new Everything plans state tethering is not included nor do they offer it as a package add on. Seems like Tetherberry app is the way to go now. Not sure why you can still get it to tether via Bluetooth...hopefully that will stay for you.
    09-30-09 08:07 PM
    I have Verizon Wireless. They have escalated my issue to the "real" techies, so I'll post here once issue is resolved.
    10-02-09 10:42 AM
    FYI, I've never resolved this in all this time! BUT.... I can tether over Bluetooth to my phone. Requires that I am plugged in since the battery drain is fast, but fine for when in a car, on a train or when I otherwise have power.

If I can help with any questions related to the BT option, please let me know.

If you know how to pair your phone via BT, here's how to set up a DUN connection for various cell phone providers (towards bottom of page):

Quick and Dirty Windows 7 Blackberry Tether
    11-30-10 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD