Why does the 8900 have 3 ways to lock a phone? There is the button on the top left side. There is the letters A and K that will also lock it. Beside that they took off 2 features that I used for this its also annoying as I'm not a person who likes to have their phone locked.

Does anybody else like this or does it bother them as well?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 02:02 PM
    Doesn't bother me at all... the more you know about your device the better off you are.
    08-03-09 02:12 PM
    The only one I find unnecessary is the letter A b/c I set it to not to dial on the home screen. I just wish I could use the letter A as a speed dial, instead of BlackBerry forcing me to use it as a lock key.
    08-03-09 03:23 PM
    The old long A and K to lock the keyboard was invaluable with previous BlackBerrys such as my old Curve 8320. I'd like the ability to map unused keyboard shortcuts or remap ones such as the K lock to a third-party applications. Of course, it's never going to happen but I can dream, can't I?
    08-03-09 06:54 PM
    Not sure why this is such an issue for you. There are ways of disabling this if it bothers you. When your in the speed dial settings you can just change "A" to a speed dial or nothing if you'd like

08-03-09 07:34 PM
    i love the lock button at the top...use it all the time because i usually keep my phone in my pocket...other ones dont really bother me
    08-03-09 07:37 PM
    Not sure why this is such an issue for you. There are ways of disabling this if it bothers you. When your in the speed dial settings you can just change "A" to a speed dial or nothing if you'd like

One of the reasons it bothers me is that I've tried to change it back to a speed dial and can't. Do you know how to disable it?

Also is it necessary to have these 4 functions, the 3 keys/buttons plus the lock app, for just one thing?

08-03-09 10:13 PM
    Yea there is a lock in the menu and I find it usless because I just use the a

08-03-09 10:15 PM
    Are you guys really complaining about all the convenient and different options that are available to lock your device? Obviously this is a very important feature of the device since there are so many shortcuts for it. Right?
    08-03-09 10:19 PM
    They're not really different options when 3 buttons do the same thing. The top button is great, I can see the K like on my 8320, but the A is just overkill.

08-03-09 10:30 PM
    No offense but they are three "different" options. Maybe you should google the word "differrent". Just kidding-sorta.
    08-03-09 10:53 PM
    Maybe some people prefer it gosh. Personally I use the key at the top but if I accidentally lock another way its not like It takes a half an hour to get it unlocked. Just push it again or type your password. simple. I don't see a problem whatsoever.

08-04-09 12:53 AM
    My issue is twofold. First, there are 4 different ways to lock it including the icon. So why have different shortcuts for the same function? Which brings my second issue is that on the 8820 I had the top left allowed me to make the screen brighter and A could be used as a speed dial. So I've lost 2 functions that I used for 1 function where I already had 2 choices to use and now have 4.

This may seem like a silly complaint to some but I like my shortcuts and using 4 for the same thing makes no sense to me.

08-04-09 02:00 AM
    The fact that I have 4 options to travel (fly, drive, train, walk) doesn't bother me. Similarly, having four options for an entree in a restaurant is fine too. Option, as the name indicate, is an option, not a requirement.
    08-04-09 02:09 AM
    My issue is twofold. First, there are 4 different ways to lock it including the icon. So why have different shortcuts for the same function? Which brings my second issue is that on the 8820 I had the top left allowed me to make the screen brighter and A could be used as a speed dial. So I've lost 2 functions that I used for 1 function where I already had 2 choices to use and now have 4.

This may seem like a silly complaint to some but I like my shortcuts and using 4 for the same thing makes no sense to me.

Actually when you sit down and think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Blackberries are consistent and reliable devices. Because of this the features that were available on older devices are still available on new devices because their users are loyal and like to feel comfortable, even with new devices. At the same time, Blackberries are also intuitive and always improving. With this in mind, new features are added because of requests from users and that is where the multiple features that do the same thing comes into play. RIM really does a great job of pleasing their long-term and their new users. I honestly think it is silly to complain of having too much functionality. It might just be me (I don't think so) but that really is a ridiculous thing to complain about.
    08-04-09 02:13 AM
    Hmmm. I didn't know about the A lock, but not surprised since it is also the * key which is a popular lock button on many phones. But the K thing is new to me. Not that I care, but it doesn't lock for me? By the way, yes I have the 8900, just haven't updated my info yet.

08-04-09 02:14 AM
    Well apparently I was wrong about this seeming to be strange to have so many buttons and icon achieving the same thing. I thought it was overkill but I seemed to be the only person who minds losing a key for speed dial and the other to increase brightness. Since I used these a lot I miss not having them.

Last edited by BuddyL; 08-04-09 at 07:58 PM.
    08-04-09 07:48 PM
    BuddyL - I agree with you. My gf's name starts with A, can no longer use that as her speed dial. IMO, its very redundant to have 4 ways to lock the screen. C'mon, there's a dedicated key for it at the top!

08-05-09 08:00 AM
    I would like to have the option of changing the A key to a speed dial...... the K doesn't lock my phone so I am not sure about that one.
    08-05-09 08:57 AM
    Weird, K locks mine. OS .250

08-05-09 10:06 AM
    when I hit K on mine.... i get a question to assign speed dial..... I have dial from homescreen set... tho
    08-05-09 10:36 AM
    Ah yes, I have dial from homescreen off to use keypad shortcuts.

08-05-09 11:30 AM
    it bothers me as well
    08-05-09 11:47 AM
    when I hit K on mine.... i get a question to assign speed dial..... I have dial from homescreen set... tho
    Yeah, I think the K is only supposed to lock when the dial from homescreen setting is off.
    08-05-09 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD