Crap! I upgraded my OS to .168 perfectly. As it was in the process of restoring old data, DM froze. So, I was forced to cancel the restore process. Now, I am trying to restore from the backup I made however, DM is stuck at "Updating device database list" right after I select the backup file/restore option. I've tried unplugging/plugging it back in several times. What do I do!?
    03-14-09 12:07 AM
    03-14-09 12:17 AM
    I think you should try to format your Blackberry again and then restore that backup just to be safe.

If your Blackberry is bricked then search for how to restore a bricked blackberry ... but I don't think it is bricked at this point.
    03-14-09 12:20 AM
    HA! Thanks uncheels23!

Yes, please do not double post. The members here are VERY helpful, there is no need for that.
    03-14-09 12:22 AM
    I think you should try to format your Blackberry again and then restore that backup just to be safe.

If your Blackberry is bricked then search for how to restore a bricked blackberry ... but I don't think it is bricked at this point.
    My BB is not bricked, it works fine. It's just I cannot restore. I apologize for posting twice, it's just I flipped out and I wanted to show as many people as possible.
    03-14-09 12:24 AM
    My BB is not bricked, it works fine. It's just I cannot restore. I apologize for posting twice, it's just I flipped out and I wanted to show as many people as possible.
    Yea, it not necessary to do that here at Crackberry. In fact, if anything it will get you less help.
    03-14-09 12:29 AM
    Yea, it not necessary to do that here at Crackberry. In fact, if anything it will get you less help.
    I apologize it won't happen again... Jeez.

Anyways, can someone please shed some light?
    After the upgrade (which went perfectly), the restore process was interupted. My phone works fine, howver, I have been unable to restore completely from backup... it keeps getting stuck at essentially 1%. I cannot succesfully pair the phone with DM via USB. Also, DocumentsToGo deleted itself from the upgrade from .114 to .168. How can I get it back?

I appreciate all the help.
    03-14-09 12:41 AM
    Additionally, BlackBerry Media Sync was unable to connect to my BB... It seems as if I need to re-upload the OS?

Please help!
    03-14-09 12:45 AM
    Re-read my post #2, I did give you some advice already.
    03-14-09 12:45 AM

What exactly do you mean by format my BB and then restore?
    03-14-09 12:47 AM
    By the way, not sure if this is relevant but I did the simple upgrade process which didn't involve a wipe... Was that the problem? Again, the question remains how can I format my BB?
    03-14-09 12:51 AM
    By the way, not sure if this is relevant but I did the simple upgrade process which didn't involve a wipe... Was that the problem? Again, the question remains how can I format my BB?
    Hi Gibbs. No, it's is not necessary to wipe before doing an OS upgrade. Some people suggest that it be done; it's a matter of choice/preference.
    03-14-09 12:53 AM
    The procedure is in my signature. Take your time and follow it exactly. I suggest you follow the Advanced procedure.
    03-14-09 12:58 AM
    The procedure is in my signature. Take your time and follow it exactly. I suggest you follow the Advanced procedure.
    Those are the original instructions that i followed... The thing is why would I make up a backup of the current state of my 8900 (it's not fully restored with all of the previous settings because I had to cancel it half way through the original restore process)... What I want to do is reload the backup a took a few hours ago prior to my upgrade.

Should I uninstall the .168 firmware and then reinstall it? I'm so confused!

Basically, how can I put the backup that I created around 8 PM yesterday evening back onto my Javelin? The upgrade portion of the process was successful, however the restore was not.

Also, I'm having a problem correctly pairing my BB with my computer. It recognizes the pin however when I tried to use both DM and Media Sync I got error messages.

And how about the Documents To Go Problem?

Last time I try upgrading.

Again I'm so grateful to anyone that can help...
    Last edited by gibbs0828; 03-14-09 at 01:04 AM. Reason: clarification
    03-14-09 01:02 AM
    do a master reset on your device...of course back up first....then do the upgrade if that doesnt work re-install your desktop manager and it should work......
    03-14-09 01:09 AM
    Dood ... cmon.

Follow the procedure. Since nothing changed from the last back you took then skip those steps and just use the backups you made previously. Restore the same OS you have now so that you can start from scratch and then re-load those same backups.
    03-14-09 01:15 AM
    Dood ... cmon.

Follow the procedure. Since nothing changed from the last back you took then skip those steps and just use the backups you made previously. Restore the same OS you have now so that you can start from scratch and then re-load those same backups.

The thing is my DM does not want to use the backups I previously took. As I said, when I click restore the program essentially freezes. I don't know how I restore the same OS if there's no upgrading involved. I'm going to be on a trip all day but I need to fix this problem. Can I contact you tommorrow aristile?
    03-14-09 06:05 AM
    Your best bet is low level install and then reboot the computer and try the restore. I am SO sorry... that is such a DTM FAIL!
    03-14-09 06:46 AM
    oh.. OR, move your latest backup to a diff folder... reinstall DTM and see if that resolves. hmmm...
    might be that the whole sitch corrupted the backup file too... might not be bueno anymore!
    03-14-09 06:46 AM
    what version of dm are you using
    03-14-09 06:56 AM
    Okay so your phone works fine but you cannot restore your Backup data from an ipd file.

Is this any/all Backup/ipd files or just one particular file?

It could be that the ipd file has an error. This is very rare but it does happen. To check this, download and install Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor ipd file converter $19.95. This software is a Blackberry Backup file reader and manipulator. It has a demo mode so that you will at least be able to view your file and maybe delete parts of it that look broken.

I do not thnk that you need brick or re-format your phone just yet. At least not until the Backup file is verified ither good or bad.

As a further test, please try doing a Backup and then a Restore from the phone in its current state just to verify that this procedure is, in fact, working.
    03-14-09 07:32 AM
    I agree try other backup files if you followed the instructions as you say you should have at least 2 backup file in your documents,. one manual one automatic try restoring them both,. and be sure you are using Desktop Manager ver 4.6 as anytime i have heard of this problem the main reson was DM 4.7
    03-14-09 07:38 AM
    I agree try other backup files if you followed the instructions as you say you should have at least 2 backup file in your documents,. one manual one automatic try restoring them both,. and be sure you are using Desktop Manager ver 4.6 as anytime i have heard of this problem the main reson was DM 4.7
    I am using DM 4.6... I made several backups ( 2 or 3) however all of them get stuck at the transfering in progress/ updating list stage.

How should I try restoring them if everytime I select the restore option it gets stuck?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 10:37 AM
    Okay so your phone works fine but you cannot restore your Backup data from an ipd file.

Is this any/all Backup/ipd files or just one particular file?

It could be that the ipd file has an error. This is very rare but it does happen. To check this, download and install Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor ipd file converter $19.95. This software is a Blackberry Backup file reader and manipulator. It has a demo mode so that you will at least be able to view your file and maybe delete parts of it that look broken.

I do not thnk that you need brick or re-format your phone just yet. At least not until the Backup file is verified ither good or bad.

As a further test, please try doing a Backup and then a Restore from the phone in its current state just to verify that this procedure is, in fact, working.
    Yes, that's correct the phone works fine... I doubt all 3 backup fies have an issue. I feel like it has to be a DM issue.

Should I reinstall DM, then reinstall the OS? The thing is I don't understand how to restore from backup/reinstall OS.

If I reinstall the OS.exe file, how do I reinstall and get the backup back on my phone?

03-14-09 10:43 AM
    Yes, that's correct the phone works fine... I doubt all 3 backup fies have an issue. I feel like it has to be a DM issue.

Should I reinstall DM, then reinstall the OS? The thing is I don't understand how to restore from backup/reinstall OS.

If I reinstall the OS.exe file, how do I reinstall and get the backup back on my phone?

Almost certainly one of the databases is corrupt in one or more BAckup files.

Did you follow my instructions for downloading the AMC Amber tool?

Did you also try doing a new Backup / restore to see if it works?

I need to know precisely what is and is not working. You are the only one who can tell me that. Once we identify the corrupt database then we can zero it via DM (Backup / Restore, Advanced) when the phone is connected.

You can only identyfy the correct database by carefully watching the Restore process a few times and noting the database that stops the restore.

Please do the above tests and get back here. We can fix this if you will please just do the tests exactly as asked and report the findings.
    03-14-09 11:02 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD