I'm new here. Currently with VZW but my contract is ending. Thinking about this mobile so I'm here doing my homework. I tried to find out by searching but still not sure I understand... Does the 8350i use the nextel iden network for VOICE calls or is it just for data and direct connect?

I gather the data is slower but Is there any difference in coverage or reliability for the voice phone calls?

And when someone calls you does the caller sometimes get a recording that says "please hold while the nextel subscriber you are calling is located?"
    If so, I won't be able to use this phone.

Thanks in advance. I'm not sure I trust customer service for accurate answers.
    06-10-10 03:44 PM
    The Nextel 8350i uses the Nextel IDEN network for everything. Yes, when the phone is out of range, the caller gets the locating message, and then is transferred to voicemail.
    06-10-10 07:50 PM
    I know with my phone if I'm Out of range or I'm using a lot of data calls will go the message then to my voice mail. It happens fairly often. I have to change my voice mail to let people know to leave a message or won't know they called. The reason I went with the 8350i is I use ptt for work. If you don't really need the ptt then I would probably go with the CDMA. IDEN can be pretty sluggish at times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 08:23 PM
    Ok thanks. It's back to the drawing board then.
    06-10-10 08:32 PM
    Yeah I 've said it before, I was not educated enough at the time to know I was buying a 8350i and not a boost8330, that was until I tried to switch my number over(it wasn't even flashed lol) once I found this out I attempted to resell the brand new in the box 8350 with zero luck.

So I bit the bullet, and flashed it myself, educated myself immensely about the 8350(most information from CB).

All that being said, I love the phone, it utterly amazes me how much I use it, and how I went so long without ever becoming hip to what the blackberry is all about. Luckily, I haven't had a horror story to mention, or relate to, the phone has worked basically flawlessly. After much reading though my experience with the 8350i is definitely in the minority. For what it's worth, even with everything I have done to the phone and dropping the price to the point where I might as well just roll it till the wheels fall off, I still can't sell it.

Overall it's been a great phone, but if I had the chance, and as soon as I do have a chance, I will be going to the cdma boostberry.
    06-11-10 01:48 AM
    ^ still8350,
    I'm have been considering boost as well.
    The all inclusive $60 per month is very appealing because the taxes and fees tack on a significant amount on other providers. The biggest problem with boost (for me), is there's no roaming on Boost. So I guess if you're getting coverage where you normally use the phone, you're golden. If you're on the road a lot or in rural areas there is going to be a lot of downtime. Also if you buy the phone through Boost, you are going to end up making up the difference in taxes and extra monthly service charges by paying more for the phone in advance. And unlike providers that use contracts, there isn't as much incentive to help you should you encounter problems with the phone on boost because you've already paid full price on it. You can't threaten to stop paying your bill if they don't fix the problem. They're targeting the urban youth market and not the amex-wielding small business users.
    Last edited by Buttonball; 06-11-10 at 07:28 AM.
    06-11-10 07:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD