Hello, I want to but a new blackberry curve 8900, as you know it has no 3g but he has wifi. At the buying point they told me that i wont be able to full web browsing because it hasnt 3g, they told also the with no wifi i will be able to browse only wap sites. as long as i know from the reviews, it is possible to browse full sites with no wifi but it will slower than 3g device.
    what is true between those?

thanks!
    10-03-09 05:56 AM
    The 8900 has EDGE which is kind of 2.5G. Web browsing is actualy quite fast using this technology. What is slow however is the interpretation od JavaScripts. This is due to processor speed rather than network speed.

As to only being able to view WAP stes, this is not true. What is true, is that some WAP sites (such as m.crackberry.com) work better on the 8900 than the native site. That said, the 8900 browser is capable of delivering quite a decent web browsing experience with most sites. Once thing it cannot do is to play Flash.

Flash is used by many sites, including YouTube and for this, there is a specific application to display videos. There is likewise a dedicated application for Facebook.

In addition to the native browser there are currently two 3rd party browsers Opera-Mini and BOLT. Both these are free to download and use and both use an external server to boost performance. Both these browsers are quite good at displaying native websites.

Soon (dunno exctly when) a third browser called SkyFire will be released that is rumored to be even better than Opera-Min and BOLT. It is further rumored to support Flash.

RIM have said that they will also support native Flash in the next couple of years. I include this only for completeness since it will probably never be of use on the 8900 as we will all have moved on by the time it is released.
    10-03-09 06:53 AM
    Got it, thanks.
    All you mentioned here is only about data browsing?
    with wifi browsing ill be able to play flash, facebook and more things like that?
    10-03-09 07:29 AM
    Nope....wifi browsing is exactly the same as browsing on EDGE except for the fact that its faster on the wifi. That being said, no you won't be able to use flash on wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 10:19 AM
    So for example it will be able to browse the full site of facebook with the chat and everything but with no the apps?
    10-03-09 12:52 PM
    FaceBook is actually better served with the dedicated, free FaceBook app for BlackBery that is available for download from the FaceBook site.

It is actually quite a good app too and really is the best way to access FaceBook on your Blackberry.

You CAN use the fulll Welcome to Facebook | Facebook site or the mobile site m.facebook.com but the app is far better.
    10-03-09 01:07 PM
    The app has no chat right? is there acess to the facebook chat by browsing the full site?
    10-03-09 01:42 PM
    The app has no chat right? is there acess to the facebook chat by browsing the full site?
    The FaceBook app keeps gettig better. FaceBook keep updating. There is a new version every few weeks. Where will it all end ?
    10-04-09 08:17 AM
    The 8900 has EDGE which is kind of 2.5G. Web browsing is actualy quite fast using this technology. What is slow however is the interpretation od JavaScripts. This is due to processor speed rather than network speed.

As to only being able to view WAP stes, this is not true. What is true, is that some WAP sites (such as m.crackberry.com) work better on the 8900 than the native site. That said, the 8900 browser is capable of delivering quite a decent web browsing experience with most sites. Once thing it cannot do is to play Flash.

Flash is used by many sites, including YouTube and for this, there is a specific application to display videos. There is likewise a dedicated application for Facebook.

In addition to the native browser there are currently two 3rd party browsers Opera-Mini and BOLT. Both these are free to download and use and both use an external server to boost performance. Both these browsers are quite good at displaying native websites.

Soon (dunno exctly when) a third browser called SkyFire will be released that is rumored to be even better than Opera-Min and BOLT. It is further rumored to support Flash.

RIM have said that they will also support native Flash in the next couple of years. I include this only for completeness since it will probably never be of use on the 8900 as we will all have moved on by the time it is released.
    Great write out Pete.

And im sure Facebook will be releasing an update soon to support that chat. Facebook is one of those sites that listen to what we have to say and design as needed.
    10-04-09 08:34 AM
    Agree with Pete6 and avi44x.

10-04-09 11:25 AM
    And as an fyi, here are browser settings you might like, but experiment - and I think you'll like the view better if you press the menu key and select column view. Good luck - I do 90% of my browsing with my 8900.
    Browser Settings: Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

10-04-09 11:39 AM
    And as an fyi, here are browser settings you might like, but experiment - and I think you'll like the view better if you press the menu key and select column view. Good luck - I do 90% of my browsing with my 8900.
    Browser Settings: Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

Good tips. Especially column mode. That is vital.
    10-04-09 12:49 PM
    If you want every the 8900 but with 3g. Wait for 9700 in couple of months

10-04-09 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD