Hi,

I was wondering if 8900 will get the 5.0 OS upgrade and where can I buy the 8900 for cheap? I heard Cartoys.com is good, but I am wondering what is the catch for so cheap Upgrade price? Do we have to get unlimited plans or something? It does not specify. Anyone who have bought their phones from there know?

Thank you for your help.
    08-23-09 01:51 PM
    If you get an 8900 (or any phone for that matter) at the lower "contract" price then you will be required to extend your contract and also keep a data plan for the entire time of that contract extension.

The 8900 will not ship with 5.0, at least not at this time. OS 5.0 is not ready to be release at this time anyway as it is still being tested, developed and improved. Any 5.0 OS currently available is leaked and contains many bugs. Use this only at your own risk. For more information, check the beta OS forum.
    08-23-09 01:55 PM
    But getting the phone for lower price, such as at Walmart, isn't it already required for an 2yr extention on the contract? For example, if I upgrade at TMobile store, it would still require a 2 year contract extension and it will cost me over $150 for the phone itself. But I would like to know what kind of requirements of Cartoys.com have and if it's available in stores. I'm asking this because their hotline is not available on weekends and I would like to see your opinions and anyone else who have had business with them.

Thank you for your help.
    08-23-09 02:10 PM
    I don't know what that specific place requires, you would need to check it out yourself. I can tell you that they generally all are similar with a 2 year contract extension agreement for the US stores. With that said, you can get the phone for $50 in some places and others still for 1 cent - each with a 2 year contract extension agreement. It just depends on where you purchase it, do your homework and shop around.
    08-23-09 02:14 PM
    I don't know what that specific place requires, you would need to check it out yourself. I can tell you that they generally all are similar with a 2 year contract extension agreement for the US stores. With that said, you can get the phone for $50 in some places and others still for 1 cent - each with a 2 year contract extension agreement. It just depends on where you purchase it, do your homework and shop around.
    Thank you so much for your opinion and help! Looks like I found my new BB and an affordable one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 04:11 PM
    But when something goes wrong, you can't take it to any TMO or AT&T store, you have to bring it back to that kiosk. Just a tip.
    08-23-09 06:41 PM
    You can buy them off of ebay.

08-23-09 06:48 PM
    Oh is that so? But I guess it'll be fine

08-23-09 07:11 PM
    scratch that. i see you're on t-mobile.

it's free with at&t
    08-23-09 09:19 PM
    Yes, but don't some places like letstalk tack on a mandatory data package on your account in order for them to sell it to you at that price? Watch out, and read the fine print OP.
    08-23-09 09:36 PM
    Yes, but don't some places like letstalk tack on a mandatory data package on your account in order for them to sell it to you at that price? Watch out, and read the fine print OP.
    Anyone should absolutely read the fine print in the agreements. However, ALL agreements that include a cheap price for a phone, will require a contract agreement that includes a data plan.
    08-23-09 09:43 PM
    Anyone should absolutely read the fine print in the agreements. However, ALL agreements that include a cheap price for a phone, will require a contract agreement that includes a data plan.
    Correct. Also, they will give you the option of removing the feature package after 30 days (I have had this experience with AT&T and T-Mobile)
    08-23-09 09:46 PM
    Correct. Also, they will give you the option of removing the feature package after 30 days (I have had this experience with AT&T and T-Mobile)
    Yes I am aware. And currently I already DO have the unlimited data plan and I'm on a Family Plan of $59.99 (or over I think) so I will be paying the same stuff when I upgrade just...longer.
    08-23-09 10:03 PM
    Well there you go! Have fun with the 8900 (if you do buy) and welcome to our community!
    08-23-09 11:04 PM
    Well there you go! Have fun with the 8900 (if you do buy) and welcome to our community!
    heheeh thank you! I cant wait to get it!!!!
    08-23-09 11:16 PM
    It's free for T-Mob with 2 year contract at Walmart after rebates. Check out walmart they have good deals
    08-23-09 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD