Hello My Dear Friends

When I first thought of having a Blackberry as a phone few months ago, my need was simple I wanted to have a phone which can view excel/doc/pdf files and play music for me apart from regular calling. After started reading all your good informative posts/ debates/ addictions/ innovations, I hooked on to this site....and I hooked on to BB !!

Today I can say Im a proud owner of Curve 8520 !!! Thanks to you my dear friends !!!

I was really confused between 9700 and 8520 as my first BB but due to very tight budget I opted for 8520 over 3G capabilities, higher resolution LCD, big fat battery, and many good things of Bold 2no doubt 9700 is a great device

But hey I can say Im not regretting at al. As a first BB, this phone is great and solid !!

My few thoughts on two days use

I love it !! I couldnt keep it down !! Trackpad Amazing, Keyboard Fantastic. Im in love with it. I have not done any mistakes while typing smss and its really fast. I really dont feel cheap or plasticky. I can live without 3G for a while and I dont use my phone for watching videos or heavy internet browsing so Im o.k. with the resolution 8520 has. I want my phone majorly for calling, push mails, viewing attachments and music. Im on pre-installed 4.6.1.314 now and I want to see what battery life it could give me over a period of time after upgrading to OS 5. In couple of days I would activate BB push mail plan on it.

Just Thought I would share.

Thanks CrackBerry for making me a part of your site !!!
    07-04-10 12:57 PM
    Wow, I'm so glad to hear those good things from you.
    07-04-10 01:02 PM
    Awesome! Great to hear you are having a wonderful time with it and that you've found something that covers your needs! That's what matters the most
    Welcome to the forums!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 02:23 PM
    Welcome on board the world of BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 02:42 PM
    Thank you everybody !! right now I'm listening my favorite rock bands on it. Its good. I need to search for better headphones though. I took some pictures yesterday and its really smooth. Not missing flash. ( for photography, I have my Canon 10.2 mega pixel camera)

After using dumb phones from Nokia’s and Samsung’s….. I’m amazed how much interactive a “phone” could be… now I really understand why it is called “smart”

Through Vodafone wap services, I browsed internet. It’s fairly really good for a phone.... definitely way better than my friend's Nokia E 71. I was surfing this site to view some posts on it and it did really well.

Is it true that it eats battery when you don’t have a BB plan on it ?? I will get my plan activated after 3-4 days cause I’m on a business tour but I would be getting only push mail plan. No internet service available in this plan. Its only around 6-7 USD. Is it o.k. ?
    Last edited by nfsw; 07-04-10 at 11:06 PM.
    07-04-10 10:45 PM
    Battery usually take a couple days to get going well (for me, a week untill I can tell it's stable. Happens every OS update it seems). About battery and data, the phone will try to stablish connections whenever something in it asks it to, so be mindful of what apps you install untill BIS (or BES) go active.

Oh I see now you'll only get the email plan. That means the phone will have an actve BIS connection nevertheless so you won't (or at least shouldn't) have problems with battery drains because of the connection. Notice thou that the signal strenght has strong impacts on how long the battery lasts.

On a side not: The E71 (and the E72) is a phone to be respected. They can do some things that I wouldn't mind my 8520 doing. I've almost bought one on impulse... Luckly I managed to refrain and keep on doing my homework on smartphones (which ofc, led me to decide for BlackBerry).

Welcome to the 8500 boat. It's not the flagship, it's not 3G, it will hardly get any 6.0 love, but it's one **** of a device and it's been keeping us happy and addicted for a long time.
    07-04-10 11:20 PM
    Hello My Dear Friends

When I first thought of having a Blackberry as a phone few months ago, my need was simple… I wanted to have a phone which can view excel/doc/pdf files and play music for me apart from regular calling. After started reading all your good informative posts/ debates/ addictions/ innovations, I hooked on to this site....and I hooked on to BB !!
    Today I can say I’m a proud owner of Curve 8520 !!! Thanks to you my dear friends !!!

I was really confused between 9700 and 8520 as my first BB but due to very tight budget I opted for 8520 over 3G capabilities, higher resolution LCD, big fat battery, and many good things of Bold 2…no doubt 9700 is a great device …

But hey I can say I’m not regretting at al. As a first BB, this phone is great and solid !!

My few thoughts on two days use…

I love it !! I couldn’t keep it down !! Trackpad – Amazing, Keyboard – Fantastic. I’m in love with it. I have not done any mistakes while typing sms’s and its really fast. I really don’t feel “cheap” or “ plasticky”. I can live without 3G for a while and I don’t use my phone for watching video’s or heavy internet browsing so I’m o.k. with the resolution 8520 has. I want my phone majorly for calling, push mails, viewing attachments and music. I’m on pre-installed 4.6.1.314 now and I want to see what battery life it could give me over a period of time after upgrading to OS 5. In couple of days I would activate BB push mail plan on it.

Just Thought I would share.

Thanks CrackBerry for making me a part of your site !!!
    You realize now that we have you hooked you can't leave right? No seriously congrats on the berry and welcome to the site. If you haven't already I highly advise you check out the bb 101 lecture series linked in my signature. There is tons of valuable info there...
    07-04-10 11:41 PM
    Thanks deigonei and Iceman for the inputs. those tips from you are the real help.

I never noticed BB 101 before but.... my god !!

Seriously Deigonei, Iceman, Kevin.... you people are so amazing... it needs a true passion for things you love most... compliments !!

looking forward to be a true BB genious like you guys...

Starting my lectures with Master Kevin.... thanks
    07-05-10 01:26 AM
    Thanks deigonei and Iceman for the inputs. those tips from you are the real help.

I never noticed BB 101 before but.... my god !!

Seriously Deigonei, Iceman, Kevin.... you people are so amazing... it needs a true passion for things you love most... compliments !!

looking forward to be a true BB genious like you guys...

Starting my lectures with Master Kevin.... thanks
    Wow, I am so impressed. Someone actually going through the 101's and reporting back to let us know. If all the users would take the time and read the FAQ's and How To's we would be very lonely here and just chit chatting amongst ourselves

Seriously, thanks for the excellent feedback. You are certainly a diamond in the rough, and by reading the forums, FAQ's, and How To's you will be a polished diamond in no time!!!
    07-05-10 02:41 PM
    Wow, I am so impressed. Someone actually going through the 101's and reporting back to let us know. If all the users would take the time and read the FAQ's and How To's we would be very lonely here and just chit chatting amongst ourselves

Seriously, thanks for the excellent feedback. You are certainly a diamond in the rough, and by reading the forums, FAQ's, and How To's you will be a polished diamond in no time!!!
    I agree!

Next thing you know, nfsw, you'll be addicted to your BB, like us!
    07-05-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD