I bought a T-Mobile 8900 and unlocked it for ATT. I only have the basic data package with ATT (no BB plan). All I want to do is use data for my apps such as Gmail. This works but I often loose data access and gain in at a later time.

I set up the APN as follows:

APN: wap.cingular

username: wap{at}cingulargprs.com
    password: CINGULAR1

My browser works fine the majority of the time, but I can't say the same for apps. Gmail and all other google apps loose data connection on a regular basis.

EDIT: I also can't install appworld. I'm assuming this is because I don't have BIS/BES ?
    Another problem is using wi-fi. I can't get a smooth transition between wi-fi and network data. I have to set the device up to use either wifi or network

Does anyone else use their BB without a BB plan? How is your data connection? Any suggestions on fixing this problem?
    Last edited by polakatl; 08-15-09 at 08:03 PM.
    08-15-09 07:54 PM
    Its not what you wanna hear but I say get a bberry data plan! Its worth having less of a headache. But I know that's not what you wanted to hear! Some work around professionals will assist shortly I'm sure! Have you searched the 8900 forum for answers yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 08:03 PM
    Its exactly what I didn't want to hear hehe. I'm still hoping for a work around. Ive searched all over and couldn't find anything that would help me out.
    08-15-09 08:20 PM
    Most Apps for a Blackberry do require a data plan to function - App World is one of those Apps. You can try to re-send the service books to your device but I do not believe the Google Apps are going to work well on the mobile carrier's network without the Blackberry Data Plan specifically. What you can do is configure these apps to work over WiFi and use them only in a WiFi Hotspot.
    08-15-09 09:39 PM
    The thing is that they work over mobile network great, its just not reliable and often times I loose connection (this is all with wifi turned off)
    08-15-09 09:49 PM
    Att has been having issues since june with medianet on prepaid using smartphones. That is why I left att.

08-15-09 09:56 PM
    *bump*

Still looking for a definite answer. Thanks all
    08-16-09 09:42 PM
    idk man.

I just got my 8900 and haven't set up my BB plan yet, and with the same settings as you, all my apps work fine (except the BB AppStore).

Maybe it's coverage in your area?
    08-16-09 09:45 PM
    *bump*

Still looking for a definite answer. Thanks all
    The answer is actually self-explanatory.... You have AT&T (there's your problem)! They may have wide coverage, but their network sux. Plain and simple. I have worked with far too many people on the AT&T network who eventually left because things just never worked right, and when they did it was only temporary. I'd rather have a smaller area of coverage and have things work great all the time than have a huge coverage area with things that only work sometimes.

Last edited by 3CISSBB; 08-16-09 at 10:21 PM.
    08-16-09 09:53 PM
    The answer is actually self-explanatory.... You have AT&T (there's your problem)! They may have wide coverage, but their network sux. Plain and simple. I have worked with far too many people on the AT&T network who eventually left because things just never worked right, and when they did it was only temporary. I'd rather have a smaller area of coverage and have things work great all the time than have a huge coverage area with things that only work sometimes.
    Thats sad on ATTs part. It is believable since my brother has att on an HTC fuse in metro atlanta and he often looses 3g and is not happy with his data service. It just seems that mine does it a LOT more often.

I always get edge, I heard some people speak of EDGE is there a difference?

I would like to call ATT about this, but I fear they will want to stick me with a BB plan instead of the $5 unlimited I'm paying now.
    08-16-09 10:38 PM
    Thats sad on ATTs part. It is believable since my brother has att on an HTC fuse in metro atlanta and he often looses 3g and is not happy with his data service. It just seems that mine does it a LOT more often.

I always get edge, I heard some people speak of EDGE is there a difference?

I would like to call ATT about this, but I fear they will want to stick me with a BB plan instead of the $5 unlimited I'm paying now.
    They will tell you the same thing they told my girlfriend after I got her to get a BB on AT&T (she had them for 10 years). They kept telling her that things would not work properly until she got a data plan. MMS and SMS would work sometimes but the majority of the time had issues. She finally broke down and got the data plan and the problems STILL persisted! LOL.

So, I got her onto T-Mo and things have worked 100% perfectly ever since. She has never been happier.

Yea, it's the network/carrier IMHO.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 08-16-09 at 10:46 PM.
    08-16-09 10:41 PM
    For the OP: Gmail is configured for BlackBerry access, not TCP specifically. Apps that have a TCP should be all good. That is a problem with BlackBerry, up until recently the APN was locked, thus a lack of applications that are on TCP. With the recent surge in developement you should be fine real soon.

I can vouch for that as well. AT&T - Cingular suck, from faulty/shady billing practices, non-existant customer service, to unreliable 3G. I rememeber playing with a Bold a few months back - in the AT&T corp mind you - and the 3G kept going in and out. Embarassing.

08-17-09 09:33 PM
    For the OP: Gmail is configured for BlackBerry access, not TCP specifically. Apps that have a TCP should be all good. That is a problem with BlackBerry, up until recently the APN was locked, thus a lack of applications that are on TCP. With the recent surge in developement you should be fine real soon.

I can vouch for that as well. AT&T - Cingular suck, from faulty/shady billing practices, non-existant customer service, to unreliable 3G. I rememeber playing with a Bold a few months back - in the AT&T corp mind you - and the 3G kept going in and out. Embarassing.

Thanks, that shines some more light on the problem. I'm surprised that the BB doesn't take care of the connections. For example with network vs wifi- the phone should choose the best internet connection and not the settings in the app. Stupid. It could be this whole BIS/BES approach BB uses that makes connections difficult.
    08-18-09 07:36 AM
    Thanks, that shines some more light on the problem. I'm surprised that the BB doesn't take care of the connections. For example with network vs wifi- the phone should choose the best internet connection and not the settings in the app. Stupid. It could be this whole BIS/BES approach BB uses that makes connections difficult.
    Its not stupid at all. Most people would rather have control over what their phone does instead of it doing all kind of crap automatically for you. The feature makes the Blackberry more powerful for the user in that the phone only does what the user wants it to do at any point in time instead of the phone deciding what to do.
    08-18-09 10:26 AM
    Its not stupid at all. Most people would rather have control over what their phone does instead of it doing all kind of crap automatically for you. The feature makes the Blackberry more powerful for the user in that the phone only does what the user wants it to do at any point in time instead of the phone deciding what to do.

I am not experiencing this control that you speak of. For example, if I turn on wifi its almost a given that I want all my apps to connect through wifi. If I have it off then I would like to use network data. This doesn't work smoothly on my phone, or maybe I'm missing something.
    08-19-09 12:06 AM
    I am not experiencing this control that you speak of. For example, if I turn on wifi its almost a given that I want all my apps to connect through wifi. If I have it off then I would like to use network data. This doesn't work smoothly on my phone, or maybe I'm missing something.
    Well, that might be your specific need but that does not mean it is everyone's same need. In fact, if things worked as you like then we all would miss out on some great benefits of having a simultaneous EDGE and WiFi connection such as the ability to make calls and use data simultaneously. This also allows you to maximize the bandwidth available to you at any time by having some apps running on WiFi and other still running on the EDGE connection. These are just a few of the benefits of having this control off the top of my head. Just because you might not realize the benefits that does not mean they should not exist. Try to learn more about your device instead of complaining about its flexibility and you might find out it does so much more than you think.
    08-19-09 12:36 AM
    Those aren't really benefits, but rather bandaid to the problem with a stagnant Operarting System. I liked that post on BGR a lot a few weeks back... It really will have to change a lot in terms of basics even. Adding to contact, editing a forwarded email, the APN issues, etc... For the most part are RIM issues. Google won't change code until RIM makes it easier for them to do so. I love the BlackBerry OS, in terms of email- and serverside rendering, etc. It makes it faster tha a standard WinMo device in certain regards. But there are things that are lacking, and have been patched up for far too long.

08-19-09 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD