Greetings,

I recently upgraded my 8330 to v4.5.0.77, and it has ceased playing videos of any kind. Previously converted videos that played before the upgrade will not play, nor will new movies recorded with the phone's own video camera.

The media player is saying the file is an unsupported format. I find it odd that the phone itself would record video in a format it doesn't understand, so I'm guessing there's a problem here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    05-12-09 01:04 PM
    I had the same problem when I downgraded my 8330 from a more recent (unstable) BB OS upgrade to 4.5.0.77. For me, all it required was to re-visit the same web page or open the same media file again and the device was able to read it.

I also believe I did a battery pull and resent all of my service books to my device once again (I always do that after an OS upgrade, though, so I'm not 100% certain it had anything to do with it working for me).
    05-12-09 01:30 PM
    I don't know why it changed but VZW is weird about the codecs it will play compared to other carriers. If you just want a method to convert videos that should work with your device right now (without downgrading or anything), try the instructions in my signature.
    05-12-09 01:42 PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys. It's not so much a problem that it won't play converted videos, but that it won't even play the videos it recorded itself! It seems to stream Flash movies off the web well enough.

As for it being a VZW problem... it's possible, but I'm not too sure. The problems with video playback started when I upgraded the OS.

I'll keep fiddling around with it and try your suggestions.

Thanks!
    05-12-09 04:00 PM
    It's not just a verizon problem. I have Sprint and the same frustrating thing is happening. And I haven't upgraded or downgraded my OS (unless it did it by itself, automatically, without my knowledge). Result: phone doesn't have a working video cam. It's ridiculous that my Curve has a video cam feature which worked for the first three months and now doesn't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 08:01 AM
    Here's a pic of the folder when the BlackBerry is connected to my computer. Not sure if it will provide some insight into the problem. The first three files were from when the cam worked. The rest are from now. As you can see, some of the non-working files are "LOCK3" files and others are REM files.
    08-20-09 08:42 AM
    No video playback issues here and I've had the .77 VZW OS and never upgraded/downgraded. Some video formats won't play, you will have to get a different media player for other video formats.

08-20-09 08:50 AM
    Here's a pic of the folder when the BlackBerry is connected to my computer. Not sure if it will provide some insight into the problem. The first three files were from when the cam worked. The rest are from now. As you can see, some of the non-working files are "LOCK3" files and others are REM files.
    Wow looking at your screen shot, I noticed one thing. The 3 original .3gp files look like regular files and should be able to be played. They are all 300k to 1.5 meg files.

The .REM files are only 1 byte each while the .lock3 files are 0 bytes. That is mainly the reason they won't play as there is no DATA in them.

Why, I have no idea, but just wanted to point that out to you. So I guess from looking at this, your video camera is not recording data when being used. And that is the reason for the 0 to 1 bytes.

Again, sorry I couldn't be more help but I am trying to learn all this information also. Very new to the BB Curve.

Hope you find the answer.
    08-20-09 09:03 AM
    Wow looking at your screen shot, I noticed one thing. The 3 original .3gp files look like regular files and should be able to be played. They are all 300k to 1.5 meg files.

The .REM files are only 1 byte each while the .lock3 files are 0 bytes. That is mainly the reason they won't play as there is no DATA in them.

Why, I have no idea, but just wanted to point that out to you. So I guess from looking at this, your video camera is not recording data when being used. And that is the reason for the 0 to 1 bytes.

Again, sorry I couldn't be more help but I am trying to learn all this information also. Very new to the BB Curve.

Hope you find the answer.
    Yes, the first three files do play. The others don't. I also noticed that the files were zero or one mb each, but I had not considered the possibility that the video cam itself might not be saving data, so thanks for pointing that out. But I do still think it's operating system or software related, because the cam still works for jpegs.
    08-20-09 01:02 PM
    Solution found in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/rec...0/#post3388574

08-20-09 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD