1. CathyCocaine's Avatar

    Long story short, I finally have enough money to purchase a new phone (currently using an outdated sidekick, womp womp!), and the most suitable phone for me would be a blackberry. I have no means of getting a phone under a 2 year contract, so as far as prepaid options go, it will either be with Boost -- the 8330 with unlimited everything for $60 a month, the phone for $250 OR T-Mobile -- the 8520, who's plans include unlimited everything for $80, or 500 anytime mins with unlimited web/text for $60 a month for $250-300 for the phone. I won't be making too many calls throughout the day, so I can live without unlimited minutes. My whole thing was, I didn't want to spend $250 on an older model phone, when I can spend the same price a newer one. I've done some research, but I'd highly value any opinions coming from current blackberry users..

    So far, I'm split down the middle. I like the 8520's sleeker design and optical trackpad, but I've read that it lacks 3G support, I'm worried that it's a bit over-rated and won't perform the way I'm expecting it to. I'm also not too hot on it not having flash, but that's the least of my concerns.

    With the 8330 with Boost, I'm just worried that I won't get the best service. I've dealt with Boost Mobile years ago, and their service wasn't too great. Call quality was kind of bad, and service wasn't good. But my understanding is that it will be working on Sprint's network, so that shouldn't be an issue, right? :/

    I'm planning on purchasing the phone next week, and I'll mostly be using it for the internet, texting, and things of the sort. Any opinions will help!! Thanks. (:
    02-05-10 06:06 PM
  2. dwaynewilliams#WN's Avatar
    Personally, I think that the Boost mobile unlimited package with the 8330 is the best deal around. Using Sprints network and $60 unlimited everything, that's an amazing buy. I loved the 8330 when I had it and now it is running 5.0 OS, it is going to be even better than before. That's my advice, the 8330 all the way.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 07:39 PM
  3. Blackberry Buddha's Avatar
    Wow, I had no idea about the 8250 from tmobile. =P

    I have the 8330 with boost, and I have to say it is fantastic. The service is lightyears over the old iden network and it was a breeze to activate. Two things you should know however..

    The first is that roaming is not included in this plan. Meaning you can't use verizons network, so check out the website and make sure you get service where you need it.

    Secondly is that the new os is a real memory hog. This bb comes with onlly twenty five mb of app space out of the box. You really have to manage things to keep it from eating itself.

    Hope this helps.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 01:17 AM
  4. darkmanx2g's Avatar
    Get the tmobile 8520. By now it should be free on contract and you will be happy with the extra memory and trackpad.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 06:59 AM
  5. redhot95's Avatar
    The 8520 is awesome.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 09:24 PM
  6. amazinglygraceless's Avatar
    I could not see paying $250.00 for what is basically an outdated phone so
    T-Mobile would be my choice.
    02-08-10 09:31 PM
  7. ilovemileyyy's Avatar
    Paying that much for an "outdated" phone would be ridiculous! For sure go for the 8520, even if it lacks some features, it makes up for them in the newer features it has.
    02-08-10 09:34 PM
  8. CathyCocaine's Avatar
    Thanks so much for the input, everyone. I should have did a little more research before I posted this, but I'm glad to have received different opinions.

    I was leaning towards the 8330 in the beginning, but I've been reading different threads in the 8520/8530 section, and a lot of people who have went from the 8330 to the 8520 have done so and never looked back. Many have said that it was the best choice for them. I've been reading through the different posts, and the only thing that scares me about the 8520 are the few people who have a bunch of issues w| theirs. It seems like 95% love it, and the other 5% have some weird problem with it. I'm thinking I'll go with my chances and just pray that I'm not in the 5%.

    @darkmanx2g -- I'm an 18 year old college student with no credit and parents with bad credit, so sadly, I'm gonna have to pay almost $300 for the phone. Despite it being free now. :|
    02-08-10 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD