Now I have searched this and did find some stuff on it but not what i'm looking for. Now I know my Curve doens't have any kind of predictive text just auto-text. I've searched here and ppl say that they're are any third party apps either, but I have seen readywords (which i think is stupid) So I was wondering if anyone knew of any app that would duplicate the predicitve like on the Dash for example? (ex: start typing t-o and it gives you several options at the bottom like tomorrow or today...I don't know the names of predictive text excpet for t9 and I know this isn't t9) Anyone know of any apps like this? Or (long shot) when OS 4.5 comes out (if it ever does...lol) will it give a solution to this???
    04-29-08 04:59 PM
    wow curves don't do this.

my 8130 does this or at least i think we're talking about the same feature.

for example if i start to type (fea)ture, it will give me several options such as feather, feat, feather
    04-29-08 05:03 PM
    T9 is a very primitive sort of Auto-text. If you go to Options, AutoText hit Menu, New, you can enter you own shortcut to text. A short cut of 'js' could be:

John Smith
    Tel: 555-1234
    email: [email protected]

You can enter or edit any amont of AutoText shortcuts. Once you get used to t, it is awesome.
    04-29-08 06:37 PM
    wow curves don't do this.

my 8130 does this or at least i think we're talking about the same feature.

for example if i start to type (fea)ture, it will give me several options such as feather, feat, feather

Pearls do it too. Just as I said in my last post.

If, Ma'am I may be so bold, you signature contains a grammatical error. It says 'IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOUR LAST!!'. It should read 'IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST!!'. I hope that you do not mind my pointing this out but your forum handle would indicate that you are a lady of substance and grammatical errors are thus unbecoming.

More correctly, it should really read 'If you ain't first, you are the first of the losers.'.

Please take this the way it is offered, in good heart because apostrophes are a pain in the traditional place if they are not in their traditional places.

Pete
    04-29-08 06:44 PM
    lol thanx pete. no, no offense taken at all! i did not even notice it.

i can't change the wording though, its a quote from a movie, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.
    04-29-08 06:51 PM
    Yeah, I know the movie. The words are right but you've missed out the apostrophe in the second YOUR. It should read YOU'RE. A shortening of YOU ARE but it is written YOU'RE and is pronounced YOUR.

It's my Brit classical skooling I guess. I had this sh!t DRUMMED into me at skool when they still had the legal right to (quite literally) beat it into you in the 1950s and '60s. I guess it stuck.
    04-29-08 06:55 PM
    lol that's good though. I have a young man who works with me, well above me really, and every time he says "I don't have no forms for that. Do you know where they are?", I literally cringe.
    04-29-08 06:58 PM
    Hey, you changed it. Cool.

My quote was from another racing source. It was from Ron Dennis the head of the Mclaren Formula One racing team. I guess these guys all think the same.

IBM had one back in the '70s that meant the same thing.

THINK OR THWIM
    04-29-08 06:58 PM
    lol i don't have any knowledge of true racing. i just love Rick Bobby! he's great.
    04-29-08 07:03 PM
    I wish the Curve had the predictive text that the Windows Mobile devices do. I had a PPC-6700, which was a POS, but it learned your vernacular and would suggest them as you type. It saved a lot of time and it would even learn shorthand.

Other than that, loving my Curve.
    07-03-08 03:11 PM
    I wish the Curve had the predictive text that the Windows Mobile devices do. I had a PPC-6700, which was a POS, but it learned your vernacular and would suggest them as you type. It saved a lot of time and it would even learn shorthand.

Other than that, loving my Curve.
    I too am new to the BBCurve - but have been a windows mobile user for years. I really am missing the predictive text. I tend to stop typing the whole word - just assuming that it is going to finish it when I hit the space bar. Change is good, just something to get used to again.
    07-08-08 10:57 AM
    Please take this the way it is offered, in good heart because apostrophes are a pain in the traditional place if they are not in their traditional places.

Pete
    I love this!
    07-08-08 12:17 PM
    true the pearl has suretype which is AMAZING!

as for the curve, ive heard many times that it has no t9 or suretype like modes, which is kinda depressing. ill be gettin an 8320 in acouple days and im lookin forward to using the keyboard but im gonna miss my suretype.

i dont think 4.5 is gonna help much with this problem either.
    07-08-08 12:27 PM
    Agreed, I am not a big fan of T9 (or T9's offspring)........just my opinion......I loved the pearl but for ME the Curve is a superior fit in form and function. On the flip side, my Son does not like the Curve but loves the Pearl........in the end they are both user friendly marvelous devices.....
    07-08-08 12:50 PM
    Wow...Not even an after market app for predictive text eh? Very much a bummer. I see others at work w/ I-phones and they have the predictive. Oh well....Sit back and wait I guess.

Baja.
    07-20-08 12:15 PM
    I guess i use my keyboard so much through texing and emails that predictive text isn't even a thought. Personaly when i had my XV 6600 and then my XV 6700 I hated the predicive text because it was slowing me down. But then again, there are times when I am texing one person something, and having a conversation with another person at the same time without having to stop and think about what i'm saying...its crazy stuff.
    07-20-08 12:32 PM
    My Curve broke and is in for repair. I have been using my Pearl for week or so and it is driving me NUTS. I have always thought of SureType as a heroic effort the put a true QWERTY keyboard on a tiny phone but after having the full keyboard of the Curve I just stopped sending SMSs for a few days.

SureType + Auto-Text is a lot better than T9 imo. It is just a question of making the mental shift to use it. On the Curve, the combination of the full keyboard + Auto-Text, there is an unbeatable combination.
    07-20-08 01:44 PM
    In an opposing (and clearly minority) view, the predictive text on my Ipod Touch drives me crazy, so I'm not sorry to see it not on the Curve. (The crippled GPS, on the other hand...)
    07-20-08 01:57 PM
    exchanged my htc6800 crap for the curve 8330 and am missing the predictive text. I didn't realize I had become a lazy texter

being a newbie... I'm sure to be lurking all over this site. thanks to all who help in our struggles...
    09-04-08 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD