I was wondering if it's possible to create keyboard shortcuts to applications and customize shortcuts on the curve. Also, for some reason the P shortcut that's supposed to take you directly to the phone log (from what I've been reading and from what I've been told) does not work. I get a prompt that says that the P key is not assigned, would I like to assign a shortcut to the P key.
    03-16-08 04:02 AM
    You have to turn off dialing from the home screen for the shortcuts to work... to do this go into the phone app... hit your options button... click on options... click on General Options.. and change Dial From Home Screen to No...

No you can press P from the home screen and it will take you to the phone app..

Once you do this you can see what the hotkey is for each icon on the home screen by making it the active object and the underlined letter is the corresponding hotkey... note that it is press not a press and hold... press = application hotkey... press & hold = speed dial...
    03-16-08 03:24 PM
    Oh, I'd love to do it ... but to turn off dialing from the home screen would drive me utterly crazy. There's no way you can set it up like the sidekick where you can hit the alt-M for messages or whatever?
    03-16-08 04:57 PM
    Oh, I'd love to do it ... but to turn off dialing from the home screen would drive me utterly crazy. There's no way you can set it up like the sidekick where you can hit the alt-M for messages or whatever?
    I thought the same thing about the dial from home screen. Then i said whatever and lets try this. So i did. the first couple days i always tried to call people from the homescreen. now i just setup a speed dial for those i do call and press the phone key to call those i do not have a SD setup for.

Its not that bad. just try it for a couple days and your good
    03-16-08 06:07 PM
    I thought the same thing about the dial from home screen. Then i said whatever and lets try this. So i did. the first couple days i always tried to call people from the homescreen. now i just setup a speed dial for those i do call and press the phone key to call those i do not have a SD setup for.

Its not that bad. just try it for a couple days and your good
    Yep try it out for a few days.... I like it better also... To dial I just hit the phone button and then you can just start typing the name or number from there... It's better to have a hotkey for all your apps then it is to dial from the home page.. IMO..
    03-16-08 06:52 PM
    You have to turn off dialing from the home screen for the shortcuts to work... to do this go into the phone app... hit your options button... click on options... click on General Options.. and change Dial From Home Screen to No...

Once you do this you can see what the hotkey is for each icon on the home screen by making it the active object and the underlined letter is the corresponding hotkey... note that it is press not a press and hold... press = application hotkey... press & hold = speed dial...

Ok, I tried that but for some reason when I press the P key, nothing happens, my blackberry doesn't go to the phone application, Am I supposed to press or hold another key before I press P? Or is there a way that I can get that shortcut to work again? Is it possible to create my own shortcuts? I have Jivetalk installed on my phone and I would like to add a shortcut to Jivetalk

Sorry for all the questions, Im a newbie to the Blackberry world. This is my first blackberry. I love the phone but it seems complicated. There's so much that we can do with the blackberry.
    03-16-08 09:46 PM
    Are you pressing the P key from the home page? The application hotkeys only work from the home page (ie. you cannot be in the phone app and hit a key to activate the memo application - you have to go back to the home page and hit D for the memo app). I don't think you can make a 3rd party app work with a hotkey but you can make one of your external buttons start up jivetalk. (Go to Settings -> Screen/Keyboard -> Scroll down to either Right Side Convenience Key Opens or Left Side and change one of the buttons to JiveTalk) After that when you hit either the Left or the Right depending on what you set it will open JiveTalk.
    03-17-08 06:12 AM
    Are you pressing the P key from the home page? The application hotkeys only work from the home page (ie. you cannot be in the phone app and hit a key to activate the memo application - you have to go back to the home page and hit D for the memo app). I don't think you can make a 3rd party app work with a hotkey but you can make one of your external buttons start up jivetalk. (Go to Settings -> Screen/Keyboard -> Scroll down to either Right Side Convenience Key Opens or Left Side and change one of the buttons to JiveTalk) After that when you hit either the Left or the Right depending on what you set it will open JiveTalk.

Yeah I tried hitting the P key while I'm on the home page but for some reason nothing happens. I think it was working the first time I tried it but then it stopped working. Any idea how I can get all my hotkeys to start working again?. It's really unfortunate that we can't add our own application shortcuts using the keyboard buttons. Any idea if the new OS will make this possible?

I appreciate all the responses and help I've been getting from y'all.
    03-17-08 09:07 PM
    Can you see the Phone icon on the Home Page? And have you confirmed dial from home page is turned off?
    03-17-08 09:16 PM
    to use P from homescreen you need to be using the ATT theme.
    04-10-08 01:05 AM
    I have been using some form of a BlackBerry for over 6 years now, there is always another way to do something...That being said, why would you want to hit the P button to go to the phone app when you could just hit the green phone key?
    04-10-08 09:48 AM
    On my 8310 if you press the P whilst on home screen all the names in the phone book with a P in the name initial are shown on the screen. Its the same from A to Z - press any letter key and the relevant names with that letter in the personal name initials or company name are displayed. A very useful shortcut.
    04-10-08 11:46 AM
    Just to echo above, I turned off Dial from Home Screen a few weeks ago and never looked back - very useful to use the key shortcuts, and the bes/coolest thing to me is that the same letter can be both a shortcut (brief touch) and a speed dial (press and hold)
    04-10-08 12:13 PM
    reviving an old thread on my first post, ha! i'm having the same situation as yourstrulee. P shortcut stopped working.

ok, i have home screen dialing turned off. all the shortcuts work from the home screen except the P key to pull up the call log. I know you can hit the green send button, but i had gotten used to hitting the upper right key to pull this up. all of a sudden, it just stoped working. i cannot figure out why! does anyone know how i can get it working again?

I've tried turning the home screen dialing on, then back off...i switched themes...i reset...no luck. any ideas? Thanks!
    06-29-08 10:38 PM
    Wow, what a nice feature. It only took me 5 minutes of messing around to already love it better than home screen dialing. Would be nice to have a hotkey for Media, but oh well.
    06-29-08 10:55 PM
    I might have to mess around with it more some time... I like the dialing from the home screen though

Other alternatives for shortcuts are the convenience keys. And... BBSmart Shortcuts app. Just some thoughts if you cannot part without home screen dialing
    06-29-08 10:59 PM

Is something similar possible for Perl 8100?
    I tried the instructions above, but there is no "Dial from home screen" option in the 8100 Phone App/Options/General Options menu.

Thanks
    -Victor
    09-17-08 01:15 PM
    Sorry but I still haven't figured out how to assign a hotkey to an application
    05-15-09 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD