I spilled coffee on my bb 8330 and claimed it on insurance, got my new phone and now am stuck on how the heck I get my stuff off the old phone and onto the new one. I switched my memory card (8G) and only my pics, ringtones and videos show up. I cannot locate my contacts list, tasks, or calendar events. I do have it backed up on my computer but when I click on my computer backup of the old phone it tells me it's not a Win32 application and I have no idea how to open it or what to open it with.
    I went thru the manager and checked off what to transfer but I see nothing on my new phone--where'd it go?
    Please, I just want my contacts and old apps back so I can send this darn old phone back b4 I get charged $300. OH--and the old phone's keyboard does not work at all, think i shorted it out when the coffee spilled on it. That makes it more difficult. It turns on but nothing else is navigable.
    please please please help me.
    08-06-09 01:07 PM
    I don't think you're supposed to use Backup to transfer old info to a new device. That's why BBM has the Device Switcher option for.

Can you still plug the old BB into the computer and get the stuff off of it? If so, you should use Device Switcher to do that.
    08-06-09 01:12 PM
    If Device Switch is not an option, use Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager. Connect your new BB to the usb port, open Desktop Manager, click on Backup/Restore. Browse to your backup file, it's usually in your Documents folder. It has a date.ipd file name, use the one with the latest date.

The Restore function does not restore your 3rd party apps and themes though. Device switcher does, so use that if it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 01:38 PM
    I don't think you're supposed to use Backup to transfer old info to a new device. That's why BBM has the Device Switcher option for.

Can you still plug the old BB into the computer and get the stuff off of it? If so, you should use Device Switcher to do that.

Yup-can plug it in and it connects to desktop manager still. I guess I thought I could get my contacts off of the backup file somehow. Wasnt aware that I could use a device switch--kinda new to all of this so am just poking and hoping, so to speak.
    So once in desktop mgr where would i go from there for device switch? How does it work? Lost in the dark here. Should I have new or old phone plugged into 'puter??
    08-06-09 01:59 PM
    If Device Switch is not an option, use Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager. Connect your new BB to the usb port, open Desktop Manager, click on Backup/Restore. Browse to your backup file, it's usually in your Documents folder. It has a date.ipd file name, use the one with the latest date.

The Restore function does not restore your 3rd party apps and themes though. Device switcher does, so use that if it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Aha! I found the device switcher, am trying it now-thank you. I'll post when complete, hopefully all goes well. Thank you.
    08-06-09 02:04 PM
    Kudos to you for having a backup file!

The vast majority of people who come on here looking for help have never made a backup.
    08-06-09 02:11 PM
    Kudos to you for having a backup file!

The vast majority of people who come on here looking for help have never made a backup.
    I got eeverything transferred but apparently forgot my browser, eek!! I have no internet browser or even icon. When I try to reconnect it in bbmanager it will not sense either old or new phone now. OMG! I did some synchronization thingy cuz i heard everyone else doing it, did that screw things up? Oh geez, I'm sorry I'm stupid--help!!!
    08-06-09 03:25 PM
    I got eeverything transferred but apparently forgot my browser, eek!! I have no internet browser or even icon. When I try to reconnect it in bbmanager it will not sense either old or new phone now. OMG! I did some synchronization thingy cuz i heard everyone else doing it, did that screw things up? Oh geez, I'm sorry I'm stupid--help!!!
    LOL, nevermind I'm good now--it just had to reset itself I guess.
    Thank you for your help, see ya next time.
    08-06-09 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD