One reason why metal is no longer used in cell phones is to get rid of the stubby antennas and improve reception quality. Take a look at all the metal phones that everyone loves so much, pretty much all of them had an external antenna. Now take a look at phones without an external antenna, most of these are plastic.

Now not all phones follow this, certain metal nokias come to mind, but if i remember correctly at least some of these had pretty poor reception. How many people would trade their internal antenna for a metal case?
    09-09-09 11:57 PM
    ^^^^ ummmm...Nokia E71?
    09-10-09 03:58 AM
    i like it being plastic because it wouldn't be expensive to replace if in case it gets all scratched up. it also makes the 8900 as lightweight as possible, as i've tried holding and comparing it to a nokia e71 and an iphone.

anyways, maybe i just like it the way it is
    09-10-09 05:06 AM
    Everyone talks about phones being lightweight and small and just so nice and functional. Then they go out and innocase them so they don't shatter to pieces the first time they are dropped. Why not just design the extra level of protection into the device to start with? So what if it's 2mm bigger and weighs 3oz more?
    You can roll an 8700 down stairs with confidence it will still work when it reaches the bottom. I think RIM should get back to making devices that are durable as well as functional. If that means using a little metal then so be it.
    09-10-09 05:36 AM
    It is durable, well at least based on my 2 experiences with my 8900. 1st - slipped my hand while walking, no scratch - nothing. 2nd - slipped my hand again while walking down the stairs. It fell and rolled down the stairs, not a scratch. My 8900 does not have any kind of casing, not even an LCD plastic screen protector. Still works great after those 2 "incidents".
    09-10-09 12:42 PM
    I would have loved a leather or rubber back but I do really like this phone.
    09-10-09 12:49 PM
    Everyone talks about phones being lightweight and small and just so nice and functional. Then they go out and innocase them so they don't shatter to pieces the first time they are dropped. Why not just design the extra level of protection into the device to start with? So what if it's 2mm bigger and weighs 3oz more?
    You can roll an 8700 down stairs with confidence it will still work when it reaches the bottom. I think RIM should get back to making devices that are durable as well as functional. If that means using a little metal then so be it.
    The 8900's pretty durable from the over a hundered feedback of people dropping their phones, have a read on the experiences if you haven't
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ok...kberry-285402/
    I'd love something which felt a bit chunky like the E71, but it's a small price to pay for preference. I think its great as it is, but BB can't cater to everyone's preferences although it would be a good marketing gimmick if you ask me. "8900 Curve Titanium Edition" if the pricing was done right, i.e. if a regular 8900 cost $300, then a Titanium Edition would be $450, it would definitely sell IMO, unlike the Nokia versions which are stupidly priced.
    09-10-09 12:58 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD