is anyone else kinda angry that RIM chose not to put a metal silver finish? The iphone's got it, why can't we? i am considering replacing the bezel with some REAL metal. It looks fake, and feels fake. It's Fake.
    09-07-09 09:40 PM
    is anyone else kinda angry that RIM chose not to put a metal silver finish? The iphone's got it, why can't we? i am considering replacing the bezel with some REAL metal. It looks fake, and feels fake. It's Fake.
    this is something I have looked at and just didn't care too much. I love the phone so much because of what it can do, that I don't care for the RIM of the phone.

Your sig confuses me if you don't like the 8900 because of it.
    09-07-09 10:17 PM
    I like the chrome, I also have it coverd with my otterbox so I dont really notice.
    09-07-09 10:20 PM
    Mines is chipping away
    09-08-09 12:27 AM
    Personally, I could not care less about abtruse (yes, that's a
    real word ) matters such as metal vs painted plastic.

I care about form factor, features and whether the thing works
    or not. I stay amazed at the things people complain about.
    09-08-09 03:04 AM
    Who cares about it being plastic? I mean seriouisly if your buying a phone on looks alone then u can get a pos sony for ~100 and it will look great but won't do half as much as a berry can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 03:11 AM
    It's not the looks alone....these days it's gotta be the right balance of both aesthetics and functionality. I like the design of new blackberries but metallic accents would've made them more solid and stand out more.
    09-08-09 03:18 AM
    I have to agree that function is WAY more important than looks for me.

I am a new BB user and I can't see a time coming that I would be able to cope with anything less than a berry.

I have a 8900 and in my opinion, it's one of the better looking models, but I would still trade it if one came out that didn't look as good but had a function that I really needed or wanted.

All that being said, just after I got my 8900, I dropped it and put a small dent in the chrome on top... GUTTED!

My next one will have a skin and I will use the OEM case.
    09-08-09 03:24 AM
    When your phone is in a case you forget all about the plastic.
    09-08-09 05:59 AM
    I could care less about how it looks fake, but mines chipping in multiple spots, and it has developed a creak in the upper left corner.

09-08-09 08:57 AM
    I don't hate my 8900 because it's enclosed in plastic. I just think that RIM could have done a better job.
    09-08-09 09:07 AM
    I can tell you love your 8900 from your avatar pic
    09-08-09 01:41 PM
    I don't hate my 8900 because it's enclosed in plastic. I just think that RIM could have done a better job.
    Don't expect great build quality in future devices either. It's like the old cliche
    goes: They don't make 'em like they used to.

The iPhone is a whole different animal. They can't get away with a plastic
    bezel surrounding a glass LCD.
    09-08-09 01:43 PM
    This is a lost battle.

Remember the old Motorola V600? Metal. Metal. Metal. Faceplates were metal. You could chrome them. Great feel. Rich. Elegant. Wow. Those were the days.

A bygone era.

Simple reason why actually you'll never see it again.

Manufacturers know that you are going to get bored with your device and demand a newer one with more features after a few months of use. The life of a cellphone today is somewhere between 12 and 18 months. Why build it like you are going to keep it for 10 years?

So everything becomes plastic and disposable.

There's no reason to ratchet up the design and build quality areas when you will get rid of your phone in a matter of months, not years. And while you may not like all that plastic, you'll RUN out and snatch up any new device they throw out there because you want all the new features.

And then there is the reality that a LOT of Americans are just disgusting mooches today. They want, expect and demand everything for nothing. Hard to deliver the cheapest price possible if you are manufacturing with the most expensive materials possible.

Yes I know you said Apple's iPhone has some nice trim. It's their first entry into the cellphone market. They're a design-obsessed company (not a slam, a good thing). Over time as the iPhone becomes more mass produced, Apple will cut every corner they can ... because remember, all those whiny people at the cellphone store will be demanding and screaming about cheap prices. Apple will have no choice but to cut corners. Just like everyone else.

The days of metal in cellphones is dying if it isn't already dead. You can't have a public demanding new revolutionary devices every year and screaming for the cheapest possible price and expect to get the best quality. Simply isn't going to happen.
    09-08-09 02:42 PM
    Function over form....that's all I care about. My blackberrys tend to look like crap after a few months of use anyway. I don't use skins because I always buy the extended life batteries. As long as they're still working then I don't care what they look like.

09-08-09 02:44 PM
    Function over form....that's all I care about. My blackberrys tend to look like crap after a few months of use anyway. I don't use skins because I always buy the extended life batteries. As long as they're still working then I don't care what they look like.

True. True. But why not use the little pouch that came with it? I love that thing to death
    09-08-09 07:19 PM
    My fake chrome is covered by a case and my phone looks very pretty. I get lots of compliments. When I take off the case, I do notice some very slight fake chrome chipping but I keep it hidden. The phone does so much for me so i deal with it. 'm a little too chicken to change out of he bezel.
    09-08-09 08:39 PM
    Metal would just add weight and cost..... I prefer the plastic based on that.

09-08-09 08:46 PM
    Is there a actual metal/chrome bezel out there? Id buy one.
    09-09-09 10:35 PM
    I barely notice when others are using their phones myself, unless I hear them, because the person on the other end is deaf or standing a block away from their phones. With most folks I know using BT headsets, you never see the phones, other than dialing or texting for the most part.

Personally don't know anyone that whips out their cell phones to show it off while talking or texting.
    09-09-09 10:44 PM
    This is a lost battle.

Remember the old Motorola V600? Metal. Metal. Metal. Faceplates were metal. You could chrome them. Great feel. Rich. Elegant. Wow. Those were the days.

A bygone era.

Manufacturers know that you are going to get bored with your device and demand a newer one with more features after a few months of use. The life of a cellphone today is somewhere between 12 and 18 months. Why build it like you are going to keep it for 10 years?

There's no reason to ratchet up the design and build quality areas when you will get rid of your phone in a matter of months, not years. And while you may not like all that plastic, you'll RUN out and snatch up any new device they throw out there because you want all the new features.

And then there is the reality that a LOT of Americans are just disgusting mooches today. They want, expect and demand everything for nothing. Hard to deliver the cheapest price possible if you are manufacturing with the most expensive materials possible.

Yes I know you said Apple's iPhone has some nice trim. It's their first entry into the cellphone market. They're a design-obsessed company (not a slam, a good thing). Over time as the iPhone becomes more mass produced, Apple will cut every corner they can ... because remember, all those whiny people at the cellphone store will be demanding and screaming about cheap prices. Apple will have no choice but to cut corners. Just like everyone else.

The days of metal in cellphones is dying if it isn't already dead. You can't have a public demanding new revolutionary devices every year and screaming for the cheapest possible price and expect to get the best quality. Simply isn't going to happen.
    I could not have reasoned nor stated it any better. You are so right. But I do miss solid!
    Doc
    09-09-09 11:09 PM
    Parkesine was the first plastic to hit the streets in London in the 1800's. DEHA leaks from plastic bottles, so don't reuse water bottles unless your down with DEHA. BPA is leaking out of your plastic phone, diffusing into your epithelial cells that are kicking vacuoles into your blood stream to only meet your kidneys! Gotta love that ol' plastic. If you have a storm, your phone is built of metal and glass, with class. No lead paint was used in the making of this post! HA HA hahahah
    09-09-09 11:13 PM
    Parkesine was the first plastic to hit the streets in London in the 1800's. DEHA leaks from plastic bottles, so don't reuse water bottles unless your down with DEHA. BPA is leaking out of your plastic phone, diffusing into your epithelial cells that are kicking vacuoles into your blood stream to only meet your kidneys! Gotta love that ol' plastic. If you have a storm, your phone is built of metal and glass, with class. No lead paint was used in the making of this post! HA HA hahahah
    I'll take plastic and reliable over metal and buggy.
    09-09-09 11:14 PM
    I'll take plastic and reliable over metal and buggy.
    Please do...lol!
    09-09-09 11:16 PM
    This is a lost battle.

A bygone era.

Plastic is not a renewable resource. It will run out. We mustn't settle into simple mindsets. There is a bigger picture. When oil and natural gas are gone, kiss your plastic good by.
    09-09-09 11:30 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD