I just got the 8520 with fido and am planning on upgrading to OS 5 because I am currently on 4.6, is there a way to back up all the apps I've downloaded off App World and my BBM contacts? Thanks
    06-03-10 05:57 PM
    Yes there is. Desktop manager. You can have all your info safe and waiting the device boot up (3rd party apps backup on my sig).

or you can tell loader.exe to bakcup and restor for you during the update. You will have everything set and ready to go as soon as the device boots from updating.
    06-03-10 06:06 PM
    Follow the steps below:

1. Back up the device data (to be on safe side)
    2. Download and install the preferred os on pc (Remove all other os's from pc)
    3. Delete vendor.xml file
    4. Connect device to pc
    5. Run 'loader.exe'. This will initiate the os loading process. The loader.exe (apploader) will automatically backup and restore your data and application during the process.

The loader.exe and vendor.xml file can be found at c:/program files / common files/ research in motion/ apploader

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 08:54 AM
    If you download an OFFICIAL release of the OS from your carrier, you won't need to delete the vendor file.

I refuse to put any OS on my BB that isn't an official release by my carrier.
    06-04-10 09:27 AM
    If you download an OFFICIAL release of the OS from your carrier, you won't need to delete the vendor file.

I refuse to put any OS on my BB that isn't an official release by my carrier.
    I understand it, I used to be like that with leaks... Then I started doing leaks... then Hybrids. You're missing some nice hybrids with that attitude... Willyboy's work is fantastic.
    06-04-10 09:47 AM
    how do you 'BACKUP' all your info? i'm about to d/l the OSx to my BB 8520.
    06-04-10 10:22 AM
    how do you 'BACKUP' all your info? i'm about to d/l the OSx to my BB 8520.
    Use Desktop Manager. It can back up your data in seconds/minutes. Apps gotta go over a procedure (check my sig for the link).

If you update using loader.exe, at 1st chance, hit Advanced and you'll be able to tell it to backup/restore data/apps.
    06-04-10 10:32 AM
    I understand it, I used to be like that with leaks... Then I started doing leaks... then Hybrids. You're missing some nice hybrids with that attitude... Willyboy's work is fantastic.
    I think carriers release an "official" OS after deciding that you're really not going to upgrade your phone just to get a newer OS, and they'd better get on the ball before you go get a free phone from another carrier.
    And +1 on willyboy's hybrid, they're awesome. My 8530 runs way better than it did with the stock OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 11:52 AM
    Use Desktop Manager. It can back up your data in seconds/minutes. Apps gotta go over a procedure (check my sig for the link).

If you update using loader.exe, at 1st chance, hit Advanced and you'll be able to tell it to backup/restore data/apps.
    If you use apploader (loader.exe), it will automatically backup your device data / 3rd party applications and restore it during the os upgrading process.

But backing up device data periodically or prior to an upgrade is a good practice, to be on the safe side if in case something goes wrong...
    06-04-10 12:11 PM
    If you use apploader (loader.exe), it will automatically backup your device data / 3rd party applications and restore it during the os upgrading process.

But backing up device data periodically or prior to an upgrade is a good practice, to be on the safe side if in case something goes wrong...
    I always had to tell it to backup/restore. Maybe your loader.exe likes you better than mine likes me...

EDIT: @ST79, ah, than that's that! I am indeed on DM 5.0.1...
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-04-10 at 07:15 PM.
    06-04-10 12:20 PM
    I always had to tell it to backup/restore. Maybe your loader.exe likes you better than mine likes me...
    ... May be because i'm still using DM 4.6
    06-04-10 12:22 PM
    ... May be because i'm still using DM 4.6
    I never understood why RIM changed that in DM 5.0 App Loader. It would seem to make more sense to automatically do the backup unless you specifically say not to make the backup.
    06-04-10 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD