I assume there must a trackpad sensitivity menu like the trackball devices have.
    08-02-09 05:54 PM
    The store I work at got 3 of them in on Friday. I bought one and sold another yesterday; we still have one left. It would be funny if we sold out of our stock before the official release date!! I love the thing though; I've had really bad luck with the trackballs in my previous devices.
    08-02-09 06:30 PM
    runs the check walmart.***
    08-02-09 06:53 PM
    Nice wal-mart getting a head start on other stores lol. T-mobile is probably pissed lol.
    08-02-09 07:19 PM
    man i really wish i had a walmart in ym area i would love to pick up one of these i hope they put the trackpad on more devices i really love the trackpad idea
    08-02-09 11:09 PM
    to all of you guys buying it. Did it come with the Mac Desktop Manager or was it pocket mac
    08-03-09 05:54 PM
    I just spoke with a T-Mobile rep on the phone who said the 8520 had GPS built-in. Can anybody confirm?

What about battery contacts, looks like the battery cover doesn't have them so I presume charging cradles won't work?

Trying to decide if I should get this or the 8900 for my wife. Keyboard on the 8520 looks like the 8900 but a preview I read said it was actually closer to the 83xx keyboard. $50 for an 8900-lite is a pretty good deal, and I admit to a bit of jealousy every time it feels like my atomic trackball has gotten stuck on a piece of atomic lint.
    08-03-09 09:23 PM
    to all of you guys buying it. Did it come with the Mac Desktop Manager or was it pocket mac
    The one that I bought did not have Mac Desktop Manager. There is a link when installing that takes you to blackberry.com to install. I did not try it, since I don't have a Mac.
    08-03-09 09:44 PM
    I just spoke with a T-Mobile rep on the phone who said the 8520 had GPS built-in. Can anybody confirm?

What about battery contacts, looks like the battery cover doesn't have them so I presume charging cradles won't work?

Trying to decide if I should get this or the 8900 for my wife. Keyboard on the 8520 looks like the 8900 but a preview I read said it was actually closer to the 83xx keyboard. $50 for an 8900-lite is a pretty good deal, and I admit to a bit of jealousy every time it feels like my atomic trackball has gotten stuck on a piece of atomic lint.
    Mine does not have GPS.

The battery cover does not have the contacts like other devices do, so I assume charging cradles will not work, unless another way, that I have not figured out yet...?
    08-03-09 09:46 PM

No GPS here either. If you look on blackberry.com you will see that the 8520 does not have GPS.

Also, appears that charging cradles will not work with the 8520.
    08-03-09 10:03 PM
    How's the trackpad? Is it a good replacement of the ball?
    08-03-09 10:14 PM
    @jaseneb was the mac dm software included? just itchin to get my hands on it. congrats on the new berry btw
    08-03-09 10:34 PM
    How's the trackpad? Is it a good replacement of the ball?
    IMO I think the trackpad is really responsive and is a much improvement over the trackball. The trackball now fells like a step down so now when ever I play with the 8520 I use my left thumb because my normal right thumb gets upset when going from the trackpad back to the trackball. Trackpad is a home run for RIM.

@jaseneb was the mac dm software included? just itchin to get my hands on it. congrats on the new berry btw
    It's not included in the box and doesn't appear to be included on the BB tools CD. According to the BB site it says "BlackBerry Desktop Software is coming to Mac in September!" So, I am not sure what the 8520 means by "Out of the box Mac compatible". Seems to me once the Mac desktop software comes out most of the newer BlackBerrys will be able to sync with a Mac and be compatible.
    08-03-09 11:22 PM
    IMO I think the trackpad is really responsive and is a much improvement over the trackball. The trackball now fells like a step down so now when ever I play with the 8520 I use my left thumb because my normal right thumb gets upset when going from the trackpad back to the trackball. Trackpad is a home run for RIM.
    I've been so impressed with the 8520 reviews so far.Far more so than with the Tour,in a relative way.If T-Mobile drops the ball with the Driftwood(pray to God,no) then I really think an 85xx series device,either this or the Aries,is my next BlackBerry.
    08-04-09 12:46 AM
    the trackpad looks great....congrats man.
    08-04-09 05:23 AM
    looking for the frost color,
    08-04-09 05:42 AM
    The Wal-Mart by me had the Frost 8520 in stock. Looks much nicer in person,the pictures don't do it justice.I would call it Ice Blue. BTW,are there pouches or holsters for the 8520 yet? The 8520 doesn't ship with any kind of potective cover.Can you use the pouch from the 83xx series?
    08-04-09 04:32 PM
    I've been so impressed with the 8520 reviews so far.Far more so than with the Tour,in a relative way.If T-Mobile drops the ball with the Driftwood(pray to God,no) then I really think an 85xx series device,either this or the Aries,is my next BlackBerry.
    If T-Mobile drops the ball with the Driftwood and I hope that they don't, I will end up using the E71 or E75 I'm planning to pick up a lot longer than I planned (the Nokia is going to be a backup).
    08-04-09 05:34 PM
    If T-Mobile drops the ball with the Driftwood and I hope that they don't, I will end up using the E71 or E75 I'm planning to pick up a lot longer than I planned (the Nokia is going to be a backup).
    The only problem is that on T-Mobile the E71 & E75 will be throttled by being stuck on EDGE(and WiFi).What a shame.
    08-04-09 06:16 PM
    Went into a Walmart and saw the 8520 in the case today (Aug 1st) next to the G1. I told the sales rep I want to get this phone for my daughter. She said sure we can do that. I was eligible for a full upgrade so the 8520 cost me 48.88 + tax. I knew that the phone didn't officially come out until Aug 5th but I guess she didn't know that. Funny thing was when I called T-Mobile today to check on my account I mentioned that I just picked up the 8520 and he told me "How" it doesn't come out until Aug 5th and he kept saying are you sure it's a real 8520 with the T-Mobile markings etc.. So, I guess the lady at Walmart wasn't informed of the release date. Thanks sales rep for not paying attention in your staff meeting

My biggest complaint would be the resolution as it's a real step down from my 8900. You notice the poor resolution right away when looking at the home screen and icons. The 8900 higher resolution really makes a difference. IMO. But, I have to say I really like the optical track pad and the all black bezel. It's running 4.6.1.259. Oh yeah, and it is a lot lighter than my 8900.

Anyway that was my adventure today just wanted to share it with fellow Crackberryers (not sure if that's a word).
    Walmart does not conduct staff meetings with their connection center employees, at least not at my store. Show's how much they want to inform their associates! Ugh....other than playing with the phones there, I really can't stand working there anymore, but that's another story.
    We barely got the 8520 in today. I was the only one who knew the release date for this phone, no one else did and they almost sold one today. I was kinda hoping they would cause I wanted to play with one! lol
    08-05-09 12:19 AM
    The only problem is that on T-Mobile the E71 & E75 will be throttled by being stuck on EDGE(and WiFi).What a shame.
    Yep, that sucks. But the 8520 is also stuck on EDGE and Wi-Fi too so it's not a big deal for me. I hope T-Mobile completes their 3G smartphone lineup with the Driftwood soon. The WM users are being served right now with the TP2 and the Android users have had a good fill with the MyTouch 3G.
    08-05-09 06:44 AM
    Hmmmm i was hoping more for 300 USD or so but 360 in't to bad. Really interested into giving my GF a full keyboard BB that won't frustrate her with being slow yet won't make me break up with her for dropping it. Was thinking pearl flip but a 8520 is looking like the ideal candidate
    I'd say you made a good choice bro... the Pearl Flip's ok at best, this definitely will be more like a watered down 8900, which is much better than a flip... the processor will be better, memory, etc.. just not the screen *but again the 8700, 8800, 8300 screens were good enough*.
    08-05-09 11:02 PM
    it is $299 on tmo. walmart is a bit more expensive if you have to pay the full price.
    08-06-09 02:02 PM
    Again, the track pad works flawless and if I could have a track pad on my 8900 it would be the best BB on the market IMO.
    Truth!
    I have dreams about such a device...
    I admit to a bit of jealousy every time it feels like my atomic trackball has gotten stuck on a piece of atomic lint.
    Double truth!
    I think "this is happening on a $400 blackberry?!"
    08-06-09 08:21 PM
    Went into a Walmart and saw the 8520 in the case today (Aug 1st) next to the G1. I told the sales rep I want to get this phone for my daughter. She said sure we can do that. I was eligible for a full upgrade so the 8520 cost me 48.88 + tax. I knew that the phone didn't officially come out until Aug 5th but I guess she didn't know that. Funny thing was when I called T-Mobile today to check on my account I mentioned that I just picked up the 8520 and he told me "How" it doesn't come out until Aug 5th and he kept saying are you sure it's a real 8520 with the T-Mobile markings etc.. So, I guess the lady at Walmart wasn't informed of the release date. Thanks sales rep for not paying attention in your staff meeting

My biggest complaint would be the resolution as it's a real step down from my 8900. You notice the poor resolution right away when looking at the home screen and icons. The 8900 higher resolution really makes a difference. IMO. But, I have to say I really like the optical track pad and the all black bezel. It's running 4.6.1.259. Oh yeah, and it is a lot lighter than my 8900.

Anyway that was my adventure today just wanted to share it with fellow Crackberryers (not sure if that's a word).
    congrats my contract expire since feb 09 and i didnt know until yesterday LOL , im thinking to get this phone but they offer me this phone for free on a autorized tmobile dealer and 99 dollars for the 8900, idk what to do i currently have a 8330 curve for verizon and a unlocked storm for tmobile btw i hate the storm, im getting rid of it!!
    08-07-09 04:12 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD