i have a 8330 with telus mobility, ive had the phone since the middle of december so not long and the past 2/3 weeks my phones been slowing down, freezing, and when i txt it will type 3 letters pause and freeze (as im still typing) and then continue with 3 more letters etc. so i went to telus and they wouldnt touch my phone because the battery sticker and the sticker in the battery holder part on the phone has smudged red so i apparently have water damage, and the only thing my phone has came into contact with some water is by using a cloth to wipe the dust out of the phone and the cloth barely had water on it, and having ur phone in the bathroom while taking a shower can casue that too? so i called a telus rep, and they suggested reinstalling the newest version after wiping the handheld, and it worked for a bit, and now im back to having problems, is there anything i can do? or possibly even somehow buy a parts one off ebay and swap the stickers and then bring it back to telus? sorry for the long write up, and thanks in advance for any input
    03-13-09 02:18 PM
    Yes the moisture from the steam can cause it. Why take it in there? you can talk while in the shower LOL
    03-13-09 02:27 PM
    phone wasnt physically in the shower.
    03-13-09 02:37 PM
    Apparently, but anyways, seems like water damage, use your insurance and get it replaced, no use trying to get the stickers and defraud the cell company, its your own fault.
    03-13-09 02:41 PM
    what do u mean use my insurance? when i bring it to telus they dont even touch it. and it may be my fault but no one ever said that air moisture would change the stickers and make it as it was water damaged
    03-13-09 02:45 PM
    Air moisture? as in steam? as in water vapor?

Do you pay for insurance on your bill each month?
    03-13-09 02:47 PM
    i have a 8330 with telus mobility, ive had the phone since the middle of december so not long and the past 2/3 weeks my phones been slowing down, freezing, and when i txt it will type 3 letters pause and freeze (as im still typing) and then continue with 3 more letters etc. ....so i called a telus rep, and they suggested reinstalling the newest version after wiping the handheld, and it worked for a bit, and now im back to having problems....
    It sounds as if you have a lot of 3rd party applications open. If so, you're consuming all of the Curve's memory. Programs do not close by pressing escape, (back button). To close them properly, you'll need to press the Menu button each time and click Close, or Exit. You can also free up memory by clearing your browser's cache occasionally. Clearing the log file can also free up memory. You can access the log file by pressing and holding the alt key and then type LGLG. Press Menu and click Clear Log.

Bryan
    Last edited by carbide50; 03-13-09 at 02:59 PM.
    03-13-09 02:50 PM
    Yes, steam can cause moisture infiltration, if anything, just as easy as spilling water on your Berry. If you really need to take it in the BR, I recommend a nice ziploc bag, which if you need to answer it while wet, allows you to still push buttons or talk without removing it from the bag. Call it your Cell Condom.
    Protection, protection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 02:55 PM
    no, just air moisture, having ur phone on a counter in a bathroom while taking a shower with the bathroom door open is pretty stupid to change the stickers, thats the same as being outside with ur phone in your hand and the humidity is 100% yet it isnt raining same idea its pretty stupid. uhm no i pay for my voice,data,taxes, and then service fees or something.
    03-13-09 02:56 PM
    You are in denial.
    03-13-09 02:57 PM
    bryan, when i called telus they mentioned that too, and since ive been using the menu button to close apps. and i have a 2gb memory card, and its still 1.7 free.
    03-13-09 02:58 PM
    device memory is seperate from the media card.
    03-13-09 02:59 PM
    ok i just looked at my device memory, i have 52 million bytes free.
    03-13-09 03:01 PM
    There is a substantial difference in relative humidity and being in a shower room, where the vapor density is high enough to condense on regular surfaces, so yes, there is a danger here.

03-13-09 03:01 PM
    Rachel's right. To have the best BlackBerry experience, you"ll still need to perform some device memory maintenance from time to time, especially if you do run several apps. Deleting old messages/e-mails can also free up system memory.

Bryan
    03-13-09 03:09 PM
    I agree with you, Rachel. The phone has obviously been exposed to moisture of some type. There is only one that is, made by Ericsson for the US military.

Kyle should tell Telus what happened, and they MAY give him a refurb at a discount, otherwise his Curve will become an expensive paperweight.

Also, I wasn't aware the Nile was in Canada!
    03-13-09 03:10 PM
    52mb is huge, its not a memory issue, its water damage. I guarantee it. All indications AND the water damage sticker, points to this.
    03-13-09 03:13 PM
    Reed McLay has already written an excellent post titled How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory It's a must read for any BlackBerry owner.

Bryan
    03-13-09 03:15 PM
    52mb is huge, its not a memory issue, its water damage. I guarantee it. All indications AND the water damage sticker, points to this.
    That's what I get for not refreshing, I missed the 52MB post In this case it's a no brainer about the water damage. Sorry to hear it happened though. I would be physically sick.

Bryan
    03-13-09 03:18 PM
    I've run across a few folks that've had the same issues after being in shower room. Since I shower in truckstops and they often get very steamy, I keep a textured Ziploc in my kit just for this purpose. I take no unnecessary chances, learn from the mistakes of others and you have fewer headaches.

Red stickers=moisture infiltration. Wishing it wasn't doesn't change what is.

03-13-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD