We are permanently moving to Mexico in January.
    I have an 8350i.
    Is there anyway to change over to the Nextel service in Mexico with out buying a new phone when I get there?
    Also can anyone give me an idea of the plans Nextel Mexico has?
    Do you have to sign a contract?
    If so how long are they?
    Can you add Direct Connect to the US (Chicago)?
    Like the unlimited $10 plan they have here to Mexico?
    I tried calling Nextel US but they don't know anything and don't have any phone numbers for Nextel Mexico.

Thanks in advance
    07-21-09 04:48 AM
    Hi, congratulations, I guess... on coming to Mexico.
    In response to some of your questions, yes you HAVE to sign a new contract with Nextel Mexico, of which you can decide if you want it for 12 or 18 months.

The plans depend on the region of Mexico you are going to live in, so if you live in the northern part of the country you would have a specific plan which includes unlimited DC to the US, called "Sin Frontera". On the other hand, if you live on the central or southern part of Mexico, the unlimited DC to the States is considered an additional to your plan.

Also, plans are categorized depending on the minutes of talk time you want, and then you get to choose any sort of "modules" you want to add to your plan. Like unlimited local DC, Free incoming calls, unlimited national long distance, unlimited international long distance, or unlimited DC to other countries. So the least expensive plan has 100 Anytime Minutes at a monthly rate of $380 pesos. And the most expensive plan ($1,140 pesos), is a sort of washed down Simply Everything Plan, that includes unlimited talk time with unlimited anytime minutes, nationwide long distance, as well as unlimited DC with-in Mexico. The only "module" you can add to this plan, is the unlimited DC to other countries. Now BIS and BES are considered add-ons as well. BIS has a monthly rate of $320 pesos, plus the monthly rate of your chosen plan, and BES takes $490 pesos off your wallet per month, (or the company's wallet I should say).

Regarding the buying a new phone here in Mexico. I do think you have to buy a new 8350i here, because Nextel Mexico only provides service to phones that have a specific IMEI and Sim ID registered on their system, all the unknown phones with swapped Sim cards, tend to have issues with very late texts and DC calls never getting through as well as some phone calls. Maybe if you take the original invoice of your Sprint 8350i to a service center here in Mexico, they can add your IMEI number to their data base, so you don't have to buy another one, but don't trust me on that one!

Sorry for the long reply, hope this helps!
    Last edited by Art_Vandelay; 07-21-09 at 02:04 PM.
    07-21-09 01:50 PM
    Thank you Thank you Thank you! You have been a huge help. We are going to be moving to Manzanillo, Colima. So I guess that would be Central?

So if you have a BB in Mexico do you have to have the Mexico "Simply Everything" plan like you do here?

Would you happen to have the phone number for Nextel Mexico? I know it will be a Mexico number.

Thanks Again,
    Juanita
    07-21-09 02:19 PM
    About the new phone: I believe you don't have to buy a new one because I am currently in jalisco with US Nextel service and I let my cousin borrow my phone for one day and he used it with his mexican sim and it worked perfectly, no problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 02:50 PM
    Thanks Helofast!
    I think I read something similar on other posts about using their Verizon BB in Mexico by changing the sim card.
    Juanita
    07-21-09 03:13 PM
    Thank you Thank you Thank you! You have been a huge help. We are going to be moving to Manzanillo, Colima. So I guess that would be Central?

So if you have a BB in Mexico do you have to have the Mexico "Simply Everything" plan like you do here?

Would you happen to have the phone number for Nextel Mexico? I know it will be a Mexico number.

Thanks Again,
    Juanita
    Juanita, no you don't need the Mexico "Simply Everything Plan". As I said before, you can choose any plan you'd like and just add the BIS or BES module to it.

I only have the number for Customer Service here in Mexico. I don't know if they offer assistance in english though... From the US dial: 011 52 55 1018-3333. or visit nextel.com.mx

Thanks Helofast!
    I think I read something similar on other posts about using their Verizon BB in Mexico by changing the sim card.
    Isn't Verizon a CDMA network? I thought CDMA phones didn't have Sim cards...
    Last edited by Art_Vandelay; 07-21-09 at 05:36 PM.
    07-21-09 04:56 PM
    Oh, ok. This is my first BB so I didn't know what BIS or BES meant. Sorry.

Thanks for the number. My brother is fluent in spanish so i will make him call.

As for the Verizon network... I am not sure. Now that I think about it may have been in one of the forums talking about Telcel users switching "chips".

Thanks again, Juanita
    07-21-09 05:31 PM
    Juanita, no you don't need the Mexico "Simply Everything Plan". As I said before, you can choose any plan you'd like and just add the BIS or BES module to it.

I only have the number for Customer Service here in Mexico. I don't know if they offer assistance in english though... From the US dial: 011 52 55 1018-3333. or visit nextel.com.mx

Isn't Verizon a CDMA network? I thought CDMA phones didn't have Sim cards...
    yes you are right verizon its a cdma network but the storm hast the ability to switch to GSM to CDMA....

hey bro you are from mexico city.arent you ??
    cause i will leave california to move back to DF and I have a storm from verizon just wondering the same question as this dude the problem is the esn is with verizon I called iusacell and they said they can add my esn into their network but i will have only voice and text no data what do you know about it and what carrier has a bb data plan sim card
    08-11-09 03:55 PM
    hey bro you are from mexico city.arent you ??
    cause i will leave california to move back to DF and I have a storm from verizon just wondering the same question as this dude the problem is the esn is with verizon I called iusacell and they said they can add my esn into their network but i will have only voice and text no data what do you know about it and what carrier has a bb data plan sim card
    The only "Official" carriers that sell the Storm here in M�xico are Telcel (GSM) which has the 9500, and as you said Iusacell (CDMA) that offers the 9530. I really don't know what's the situation with the device activations and registrations on Iusacell, but I don't see why you couldn't get BIS or BES on your Storm since your ESN and IMEI would be added to their database, as you mention.

The only carriers that offer BB data plans are Nextel, Telcel, Iusacell and Movistar, but I guess you would have to get your Storm unlocked for a sim card from Telcel or Movistar to work.

Hope this helps somehow!
    08-11-09 11:37 PM
    Mexico? Good luck!

08-12-09 01:18 AM
    Mexico? Good luck!

why you said that Mexico its awesome!!!

Don't forget those nasty weekends in tijuana
    08-12-09 02:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD