I'm on my second curve. The first one lost all my info and erased some, but not all, of my emails. So I got another.

On this one, when I go to set the password, there's this little tiny red lock icon. When I select Security-General Settings the list for 'password' is only 'disabled.'

I took it into AT&T and they said it's a RIM problem. I emailed RIM and they say it's an AT&T problem. Go figure.

So is there any way to set my password?

I've tried blanking the phone, resetting it, ect with no luck.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    B
    05-01-08 01:19 PM
    Are you talking about when you to options / security / general options?

Weird. Make sure the device does not have some type of I.T Policy on it; unless you are connecting it to a BES server.
    05-01-08 02:05 PM
    Are you talking about when you to options / security / general options?
    yep. The normal 'password' function

Weird. Make sure the device does not have some type of I.T Policy on it; unless you are connecting it to a BES server.
    how would I check, and what's a BES server?

B
    05-01-08 02:11 PM
    any ideas?
    05-03-08 09:54 PM
    ...how would I check, and what's a BES server?

B
    BES servers are found in private corporations that can opperate their own data center. Most business users are connected that way and they have inherited a policy file that may disable features that the company considers in secure or undesirable. I can not imagine why Password protection is disabled.

Consumer devices are usually connected through BIS.

The simplest way to verify, if your BlackBerry email address ends in @carrier.blackberry.net, you have BIS.
    05-03-08 10:07 PM
    I'm on my second curve. The first one lost all my info and erased some, but not all, of my emails. So I got another....

Thanks
    B
    Lost messages, logs and past calender entries are common occurrences with the Curve. When the Free Memory level gets low, a program starts and recovers free memory by cleaning it internal temporary files. Unfortunately, it will also clear your data.

Your best protection is frequents backups of your data.

You can avoid the problem by monitoring your free memory (Options / Status) and pulling the battery when it goes under 10 Mb. That will clean out the temporary files, but leave your data intact.

The real solution is creating more memory space by purging samples, themes and a few other tricks.

The procedure is complex, but you can easily free up 10 Mb of space following these directions.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

A side benifit, the rebuild of your BlackBerry OS will likely solve your password issue too.
    05-03-08 10:15 PM
    Thanks. Now I know what I'm doing on my flight tomorrow!

B
    05-06-08 09:45 PM
    okay, I'll freely admit I couldn't wait. I came home, cracked open a beer, and stepped through the update/edits. Lots of free space, but still that stupid little red lock symbol by the password.

would i be able to re-instal everything from scratch, then restore from a back up?

I'm trying not to take it back and scream at at&t.

B
    05-07-08 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD