so im trying to upgrade from .94 to .199

ive followed the 2 different methods commonly seen on these forums

using desktop manager 4.6 and alos tried using the apploader.exe in the common files folder you delete the vendor file

it never finds the new OS and says no updates, ive tried uninstalling in control panel and re-installing serveral times, ive also tried the unpluging the internet while trying to do the update

any thoughts?

oh yeah and i already tried a wipe handheld

i should also mention i was able to upgrade to .168 didnt like it all that much and i was able to downgrade back to .94
    Last edited by c_is_for_crackberry; 04-03-09 at 09:43 PM.
    04-03-09 09:05 PM
    Hmm... What computer OS are you running on? If vista then that may be the sole reason. If you can't get to .199, why not try .174?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 10:26 PM
    well i thought of that i even tried .168 again which i was able to do once but im wondering if the downgrade back to .94 had anything to do with it
    04-04-09 06:12 AM
    To install or upgrade your OS you should get 3 things downloaded and installed on your PC.

Desktop Manager. Get v4.6 with no media manager from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

CrackMem from the link in my signature. Please download and install it and then read the Help file. It will really help you as it has a step-by-step guide to upgrading.

The OS that you are searching for. To find the OS, look in http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/ or in the Sticky at the top of the relevant device forum on CrackBerry. You can also obtain this from your carrier from here http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support...load_sites.jsp. Remove all other OS installations from your PC.

This link http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/ Procedure will help answer any questions about the upgrade process.

The whole thing takes about half an hour and there is a part where the phone just sits there for a looooong time doing aparently nothing. It is working though, so be patient.

Help will be available here if you hit trouble.
    04-04-09 06:25 AM
    thanks pete i was able to successful upgrade from .94 to .168 and downgrade from .168 back to .94, but now doing the exact same processedure is say no update needed
    04-04-09 07:40 AM
    You did remove the Vendor.xml file I suppose?

I have had this too and sometimes you just need to start over by removing all the OSs and rebooting the OS and the phone and then re-installing the OS.

It is a bit like hitting equipment that has gone on the blonk.
    04-04-09 07:46 AM
    yes deleted vendor file one thing i never tried was battery pull on the phone just prior to attempting the upgrade i will see if that works
    04-04-09 08:19 AM
    The vendor file can be a pain sometimes and will pop back up even though you've deleted it. As Pete mentioned, you might want to try CrackMem to remove the vendor file then go right to apploader and start the install. It does sound as if you might want to delete the OS you have then download, save and then install a new copy to your PC, then delete the vendor file. It's not uncommon for there to be a problem with a download and getting a corrupted OS file.

04-04-09 08:31 AM
    just out of curiousty, assuming vendor had been deleted correctly and crackmem had been used, using DM 4.5/4.6.... will wiping the phone improve chances or is that a bit like using a cruise missle to open a door?
    04-04-09 08:39 AM
    i tired wiping the phone still didnt work, gonna total delete OS from PC redownload OS and try again, will advise
    04-04-09 08:42 AM
    Omega, something not mentioned often is that as part of the OS upgrade, apploader wipes the device. There's two schools of thought, one simply uses apploader to wipe, install the new OS and reload your apps and databases, the other does an additional wipe and then use apploader to wipe and load the OS. They then reload saved apps and databases. The first method is outlined in the 101 upgrade guide and is the method I, and many other experienced users, use. I have never had a problem using this method, and I think it reduces the likelihood of bricking one's device. I understand the argument for doing the additional wipe with JL Commm, and there is some merit to it, I'm just saying I personally prefer to do it the way Rim recommends.

04-04-09 09:16 AM
    thanks everyone for trying but ive tried everything suggested and anything else i could think of, but DM 4.6 and apploader.exe will no find any updates
    04-04-09 09:55 AM
    Does CrackMem find the update? If yes, does it say that it is for an 8900?

Is the Vendor.xml file still present? I know you deleted it and DM 4.6 is not supposed to be able to put it back but....

What OS is on your phone?

Let's work through this slowly and carefully until it works.

I regard phones as inferior life forms to myself and I insist that they do my bidding.

It is 5PM where I live and I have a cold so I am not going out tonight. I have the time if you do.
    04-04-09 10:01 AM
    did you COMPLETELY uninstall the .199 OS from your comp?

did you use crackmem first?

i'm thinking corrupted files in the os download.

and pete, i'm a FIRM believer in the crackmem program.
    04-04-09 10:09 AM
    and the humans win again, thanks pete, deleted the vendor file using crackmem, and then went to the apploader.exe again and it started the upgrade,

thanks for your help
    04-04-09 10:13 AM
    hahaha woot
    04-04-09 10:14 AM
    im just thinking when i was deleting vendor file the manual way, maybe it was still in my recycling bin and that was causing the issue?
    04-04-09 10:15 AM
    im just thinking when i was deleting vendor file the manual way, maybe it was still in my recycling bin and that was causing the issue?
    Yeah, could be.

I am glad that it is now upgrading. You just have to show the phone who is the boss.

CrackMem was written just for this. I am happy that it delivered for you.
    04-04-09 10:22 AM
    Yeah, could be.

I am glad that it is now upgrading. You just have to show the phone who is the boss.

CrackMem was written just for this. I am happy that it delivered for you.
    How true. Run your BB. Don't let BB run you.
    BTW, .199 official seems to be laggy for my. Prolly go back to beta or .174.
    04-04-09 11:32 AM
    well done C, im glad it worked for you...im currently trying completely uninstalling everything and starting from scratch.

pete6, your words are inspirational, i am now ready for battle
    04-04-09 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD