My 8520 originally came with the 4.6 operational system. Now, when I connect it to the Desktop Manager it tells me OS 5.0 is now available. I have quite a few apps installed. Question is: would this upgrade cause me problems, or will everything keep running smoothly? Does anyone have experience with this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 08:05 AM
    Everything should run smoothly afterwards, the process to upgrade does take a while though. I upgraded mine and nothing had changed. Go for it! Only thing I would mention is that it caused me a couple of tiny niggly problems, i.e after installing an app it asks you to reboot, but won't reboot properly unless I do a battery pull, but that could just be a problem with my phone itself!
    06-26-10 10:59 AM
    Updating your phone will make your phone running smooth and fast as long as you do it right. And your apps should still be usable after updating your phone. In fact, some apps (or themes) requires OS 5.0 or higher to be installed.
    06-26-10 11:30 AM
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. Is there any way to roll-back to 4.6 if something goes wrong?
    07-02-10 07:01 PM
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. Is there any way to roll-back to 4.6 if something goes wrong?
    I haven't really tried that, but I'm pretty sure there's a way of doing that. Check out the 101's...

I think, I've read a blog about downgrading your BlackBerry.
    07-02-10 07:56 PM
    All you gotta do is follow the steps here. Downgrading and upgradin follow the same steps really..

I don't like DM's update thou. I'd use Loader.exe (Lecture 36) and make sure Backup and Restore option is checked.

Here is what you gotta now about updates:

Lecture 22: How to Install or Upgrade your BlackBerry Operating System (OS)

Lecture 36: How to Upgrade Your BlackBerry's OS Using App Loader
    07-02-10 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD