12-31-08 06:56 PM
35 12
tools
    I have never owned a BB before, but I need a new phone and plan to buy one very soon. I would like to get a Bold, but my carrier (Telus) does not carry it. The next two best choices seem to be the Curve 8330 and the Storm. The Storm seems like it would be a great phone, but the touchscreen keypad seems like it could be an issue. Texting, especially, and the camera rank high on my list.

Any opinions from those who have used both (or either) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    12-28-08 10:29 PM
    Texting and the camera both are very nice on the 8330! Something about having that physical keyboard makes it a breeze.
    12-28-08 10:43 PM
    If you type alot, perhaps you should get the Curve.

If you just want to view pictures on your phone, the Storm's screen is a great display!
    12-28-08 11:13 PM
    If you type alot, perhaps you should get the Curve.

If you just want to view pictures on your phone, the Storm's screen is a great display!
    Yeah, the Storm is only good for viewing pictures...

/sarcasm
    12-28-08 11:16 PM
    I have used both, and currently own a Storm. The touch keyboard does not take long at all to get used to. I type alot, and in about a day I was matching the typing speeds I had on my old phone. While I do like the Curve, I like my Storm better. It is a good phone, and gets better with every OS update. Either way you go, you will end up with a quality phone.

Aaron
    12-28-08 11:19 PM
    I like my curve quite a bit more... Just seems easier to type with. With future updates the storm could get faster with it but I like my actual ketboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 01:01 AM
    I had both phones and reverted back to the curve. The storm is nice, but just couldn't get used to the touch display and the sluggish response of the storm.

12-29-08 01:04 AM
    I think the storm looks cool, but I don't think I could ever own a phone that's constantly covered with greasy fingerprints. I'd make myself crazy trying to keep it clean!
    12-29-08 01:10 AM
    My wife has a Storm I have a Curve. I do like the screen size of the Storm but the touch screen technology is not quite good enough just yet. Additionally, the Storm is much heavier.

12-29-08 09:55 AM
    I have used both. Now, in the Storm's defense I used it for 3 weeks and I have used the Curve for roughly 4 months. Before that I had a old school berry for work. I returned my Storm because of the problems with the software (yes I gave it a chance- os update and replacement Storm). I could not get used to the touch screen typing and I am an avid messenger/email/text person. I know that it is an issue I have with the touchscreen because a friend of mine has the DARE and I played with it a little last week and the touchscreen texting gave me flashbacks- I don't have the patience to deal with it- some people do- not me. The functionality of the Curve for the intended purpose of the blackberry meets my needs- if you are looking for the phone to use mostly for entertainment purposes you may like the Storm better. Either way you can try out one for 30 days and see if you like it or if you have a plan that is 59.99 or higher you can stick it out with one for a year and then upgrade. I got my curve back and will wait until Verizon comes out with their version of the Bold. Either way, good luck!
    12-29-08 10:12 AM
    One of the significant features of the Storm that no one seems to mention is that it's a quad-band GSM and UMTS phone, as well as of course supporting CDMA. If you travel internationally at all, having the Storm will simplify keeping in touch (it even comes with all of the international power adapters needed).

I don't know about Telus, but if you're a VZW subscriber in good standing they'll unlock the Storm for you with minimal hassle. This will allow you to use most any provider's SIM card, including prepaid SIMs.

I upgraded from an 8330 Curve to a Storm, and so far I'm diggin' it.
    12-29-08 11:27 AM
    Thanks to everyone for their opinions. It's a lot more even than I would have thought. I'd say that I'm leaning towards the Curve, due to the keyboard mostly. After trying it briefly, the Storm's "clicking" touchscreen does seem to be slower than the standard QWERTY keypad. I found my self going to the next key when my other thumb still had the screen pressed down. Yes, with some training it would be almost as fast as the curve for typing, but it will never be quite as fast or smooth.

Had I not had issues with the discount Telus was giving me, I'd probably have a Curve right now. However, I am thinking about buying out my contract and going to Rogers to get a Bold for what equates to another $200 when all is said and done.

More comments the Curve/Storm welcomed though!
    12-29-08 08:13 PM
    I've seen lots of posts' on here about people getting a Storm and not liking it after a while and just switching back to the Curve.
    12-29-08 08:18 PM
    The Bold is really nice. I had it for about 3 weeks and had to return it due to a coverage issue w/ the carrier, but that phone is great.

12-29-08 08:26 PM
    I have to agree with most of the previous posts, although the Storm is an awesome phone (i've had the opportunity to take it for a test drive), there is just something about the Curve. I guess it might be the actual keyboard, it type ridiculously fast on it. Don't get me wrong the Storm is an awesome phone and a phone that is a BB and a touch screen in one, wow, what a concept. However, the Curve has everrything you can possibly need in a phone with out needing to be extra flashy and i like that!!

I recommend the Curve, you wouldn't be disappointed.
    12-29-08 08:42 PM
    I have to agree with most of the previous posts, although the Storm is an awesome phone (i've had the opportunity to take it for a test drive), there is just something about the Curve. I guess it might be the actual keyboard, it type ridiculously fast on it. Don't get me wrong the Storm is an awesome phone and a phone that is a BB and a touch screen in one, wow, what a concept. However, the Curve has everrything you can possibly need in a phone with out needing to be extra flashy and i like that!!

I recommend the Curve, you wouldn't be disappointed.
    (highlighting added by yours truly)

Having had a Curve for the last 6 months and recently switching to a Storm, I will respectfully disagree . . . but my needs may be different than many.

The CDMA Curve offered by US and Canadian carriers is for North American use only. It won't work (with very few exceptions) elsewhere.
    12-29-08 08:52 PM
    What is it about the Storm that you prefer over the Curve? How do you find the messaging on the Storm to be, in comparison?
    Last edited by lethaldose; 12-29-08 at 09:23 PM.
    12-29-08 09:19 PM
    I had a Curve before my Storm. And I will tell you right now, I type just as fast, if not Faster, then on my Curve. The curve is nice but the storm packs a lot more. Better camera quality and the touch screen is simply amazing on this piece. Both phones are nice. But I would go with a Storm.
    12-29-08 09:21 PM
    I had the storm and I jus couldn't do the touch screen so I bought a curve and love it

12-29-08 10:36 PM
    See if Telus has or will have the Curve 8900 that would be the winner for me. I did actually get the Bold last week though and love it. I was also considering the Storm but too much conflicting information on the net to feel confident with that phone.
    12-29-08 11:26 PM
    The Storm pisses me off at times, but you would have to pay me to go back to the Curve. No contest. Once you get used to typing you'll be fine. The Storm just brings so much more to the table.
    12-29-08 11:42 PM
    I have the Storm and so far I love it. I am a new bb user and is learning a little bit more everyday
    12-29-08 11:43 PM
    I also have to agree with the majority. I had my Curve for about 6 months, and LOVED it! But being a tech junkie, I just had to have the Storm. I've had it for almost 3 weeks now, and I'm disappointed in its performance. I've done software updates, and still there are too many bugs and glitches that I don't like. I also can't type as fast on the touchscreen keyboard...the Curve was much easier to type on. I'm a big texter, so typing speed is important to me. I'm seriously considering returning my Storm and going back to the Curve.
    12-29-08 11:46 PM
    Anyone knows how to get a user Manual for the 9530?
    12-29-08 11:50 PM
    What is it about the Storm that you prefer over the Curve? How do you find the messaging on the Storm to be, in comparison?
    The primary advantage of the Storm is that it's a true World Phone, even more so than the 8830WE. And while I can't type as fast on the Storm as I could on my Curve, I've only had the Storm for less than a week now. My speed is steadily increasing, though, and I expect that I'll be able to approach my performance on the Curve with time.

I would probably have not considered a switch to the Storm if my overseas travel was not expected to increase next year, but it looks like I will be spending a fair amount of time in Europe. Having a single device that offers both domestic and overseas connectivity is a big advantage for me.
    12-30-08 12:06 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD