i have the curve 8900 which has the original os on it but lately i've been hearing of all these upgrades, mu question is what will this do to my phone, i don't wanna download something that is gonna cause damage to my phone
    06-28-09 05:20 PM
    Read, read, read... read the BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com... also read the Upgrade/Downgrade Procedures in my signature below... then read the OS thread you are considering....

Again, read, read, read!!!! Then you make the call on what OS to use.
    06-28-09 05:32 PM
    i upgraded my 8900 to .250 and it's been working just fine. if u have applications downloaded in ur device they will probably wont work but easy solution... install them again and u'll be ok.
    p.d. follow "fatboy97's" instruction in how to do it correctly. good luck!
    07-05-09 02:59 AM
    Updating your OS for your service provider
    is the safest and most reliable. The links
    and program have been approved and
    tested to work with a specific device.

Things get risky when people update
    OS that are on a different service
    carrier, leaked versions, or hybrids.
    *hybrid-a programmer that mixes and
    matches OS versions in an attempt
    to improve performance.

Your service provider can't help you
    with troubleshooting issues you come
    across and you'd also void your warranty.

P.S upgrade at your own risk

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 05:51 PM
    Upgrading the OS does not void your warranty.
    07-05-09 06:16 PM
    Technically it does if it isn't a carrier approved OS. But I've noticed at least with At&t this is something they don't enforce.
    07-05-09 06:20 PM
    That's just a mis-conception that people have.
    07-05-09 06:25 PM
    Technically it does if it isn't a carrier approved OS. But I've noticed at least with At&t this is something they don't enforce.
    LMOA!!!!

07-05-09 07:08 PM
    LMOA!!!!

Not sure on whats so funny?
    In my WinMo days I had a unapproved At&t ROM on my HTC 8925 tilt. When I took it to a service center. They refused service because of this very reason.
    07-05-09 07:24 PM
    We're talking about Blackberries here, not some Windows phone.
    07-05-09 07:31 PM
    We're talking about Blackberries here, not some Windows phone.
    Wow thanks I didn't know
    07-05-09 07:40 PM
    No problem and you are welcome.
    07-05-09 07:42 PM
    Xpimp is right. Techinally it is. But the carriers hardly enforce it.

The phones are going to become refurbs anyway and will be reverted back
    during the refurb process to the original OS anyway.

That is the point he was making.
    07-05-09 07:47 PM
    guys relax, u r all right....a non official OS voids the warranty so if u need to send ur blackberry back u have to reinstall the official OS and warranty up and running again. So dont need to fight.
    07-05-09 07:52 PM
    i have the curve 8900 which has the original os on it but lately i've been hearing of all these upgrades, mu question is what will this do to my phone, i don't wanna download something that is gonna cause damage to my phone
    I would download the 4.6.1.250 update on your Curve 8900. Everyone I've heard that has it on their phone likes this version very much. I know I like it.

Just remember to delete the "vendor" file.

You can find very good directions on how to update your phone here on the forums.

And don't be afraid to upgrade it like some of these guys. Its very simple. Just make sure you back up your device before you do it. You can always go back to the original version. Check out the link in aristile's signature - "Upgrade/Downgrade Procedure".
    Last edited by Willie2Short; 07-05-09 at 08:26 PM.
    07-05-09 08:23 PM
    so totadly true about the .250 version. i upgrated 2 weeks aga and so far im loving it. i was thinking about trying the 5.0.0.100 version, any tips?
    07-05-09 08:26 PM
    so totadly true about the .250 version. i upgrated 2 weeks aga and so far im loving it. i was thinking about trying the 5.0.0.100 version, any tips?

I'm right there with you, man. I have been tempted to try 5.0.0.100. But I have a feeling a new version 5 beta will be in a week or two. So I'll wait I think.
    07-05-09 08:36 PM
    I felt just like you guys. I had upgraded to .250 a while ago and it was working good, however there were a few glitches that I have encountered that other people have also expressed (such as when you start dialing a number, the screen will spontaniously jump back to the home screen). I JUST upgraded to OS 5.0 .100 today and I have to say I am pretty impressed. After a couple hours of usage, excluding phone calls, it seems to be working pretty well. It doesn't seem to lag as much as the previous .250 (not that it lagged that much but on occasions). Theres just more to do with 5.0 and there are more options available which is nice. Yes, facebook doesn't work on 5.0 but I wasn't using it much anyway because it is kind of limited so I'm not dissapointed. Also, Windows live messenger isn't supported. But, I never really used that much either. From what I have seen so far, OS 5.0 is awesome and I haven't had any problems yet. Theres really no risk to upgrading to it either. If worst comes to worst and there is a problem, just downgrade to .250. Hope this helps with your decision!

By the way, does anyone know what the "vendor" file is for and why I should delete it?
    07-05-09 08:56 PM
    yeah but i want to see how the new BBM looks like, have u seen it?
    07-05-09 08:56 PM
    I felt just like you guys. I had upgraded to .250 a while ago and it was working good, however there were a few glitches that I have encountered that other people have also expressed (such as when you start dialing a number, the screen will spontaniously jump back to the home screen). I JUST upgraded to OS 5.0 .100 today and I have to say I am pretty impressed. After a couple hours of usage, excluding phone calls, it seems to be working pretty well. It doesn't seem to lag as much as the previous .250 (not that it lagged that much but on occasions). Theres just more to do with 5.0 and there are more options available which is nice. Yes, facebook doesn't work on 5.0 but I wasn't using it much anyway because it is kind of limited so I'm not dissapointed. Also, Windows live messenger isn't supported. But, I never really used that much either. From what I have seen so far, OS 5.0 is awesome and I haven't had any problems yet. Theres really no risk to upgrading to it either. If worst comes to worst and there is a problem, just downgrade to .250. Hope this helps with your decision!

By the way, does anyone know what the "vendor" file is for and why I should delete it?
    yeah! i dont think i will be upgrading to the v5.0, i use my Facebook all the time and MSN is always on, so thanx. i havent have any problems with the dialing or any other thing so will keep this .250 for a little wile more.
    07-05-09 09:02 PM
    I just recently upgraded to 5.0 myself and so far I only ran into 2 problems:
    1-When I try to watch a video I recorded the video freezes a second into it but the sound still plays

2-the help options bring up an error screen

But I have noticed that my battery life has improve which is always a big plus.
    Does anybody know what the gears option is under the browser options?

07-05-09 09:37 PM
    can u explain ur question about the browser? dont get it
    07-05-09 09:47 PM
    I have encountered those same problems as well. But, I'm willing to look past those since the battery life is increased and I just like the overall OS better.

Pikelon: The BBM that comes with the unoffical OS 5.0 is bbm version 4.7. It is still an update from what comes with .250 but it is not the new BBM 2 that everyone is waiting for. Version 4.7 is pretty cool and it looks a lot like the BBM2 screenshots but there are no profile pictures for yourself and each of your contacts. For 4.7 there are also more options for group messaging and such.

Does anyone know about this "venue" file that some users are saying to delete from your phone once completeing an upgrade?
    07-05-09 09:48 PM
    Gears option is a setting not yet supported, thus why you are not able to add websites under the option. If I had to guess I would say its an option to for you to choose certain sites that you visit often so that it stores those websites and "gears" them to load faster, or something of that sort.
    07-05-09 09:54 PM
    Well I just got the 8900 a few days ago, just wanted to know how old this os is I have (4.6.1.206). It runs fine for me and very pkease w/ it just wanted to know how old it was

07-05-09 09:55 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD