Upgraded from 4.2 to 4.5, after upgrading DM to 4.6.
    On computer, I use Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2003.
    Upgrade went perfect.
    But here are the problems:
    1-Cannot sync anymore with computer. After reading contacts from device, sync shuts down automatically.
    2-Cannot back up device on computer.
    3-Within 8 hours after upgrade, battery lost 40% charge, from a fully charged battery, while I was sleeping.
    4-Within 8 hours after upgrade, free memory went from 22MB to 13MB, while I was sleeping.

The apps I use other then what comes with the device are:
    CNBC
    The Street.com
    NYTimes
    Wall Street Journal
    CNN
    NYC Traffic Camera
    WorldMate Live
    PowerOne
    BeamBerry

How can I tell if apps are running in background? Can anyone offer advice? Thanks a million in advance. Could not find anyone else using similar apps in searching.
    10-12-08 07:54 AM
    To see what apps are running

Hold the ALT key with the ESC key at the same time

Esc key is the one on the right side of the trackball..
    10-12-08 08:01 AM
    Thanks so much. Only 4 apps working. How do I close Push to Talk? I have never used it.
    10-12-08 08:17 AM
    That I dont know, all I can think of is open it, then menu and close, but Ive never used it or had it open, so Im not sure

You will have 4 or 5 default things always open, home screen, phone, browser, messages etc, those will always be there, but just make sure you always close out of your apps

Did you re-register your device?

Options, advanced, then host routing table.. I did that and also deleted my service books for email and resent also right after muy upgrade..

Did you do a battery pull also? that will help with the memory

Also.. memory cards are a great thing to have if you havnt already.. I have my ringtones and pictures stored on there, and you will need one to get the video recorder to work.. media cards dont store apps however, but will free up files with the media part..

I was told, and also noticed myself, after a couple days the memory will become more stable, I did notice that with mine, but now its settled down alot. You also have more memory with the upgrade too

as far as not being able to back up.. that might be a DM issue not being compatilble with your new OS.. Im not 100% sure, and I hope someone can verify that..
    10-12-08 08:23 AM
    Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the quick response.

In the last 15 minutes I have lost 10% battery strength, and 2MB memory.

I went to the host routing table and found the same thing typed about a dozen times. I still clicked menu and re-registered.

I do a battery pull about twice daily to keep memory from draining too far.

I have a 1GB media card. I don't do the itunes thing or the game thing. I only save a few videos, and many documents on the media card.

I am hoping that I don't have to go back to 4.2 as this voice recorder works great when going to the grocery store, etc.

I haven't been able to sync or back up since upgrading DM versions.

Thanks again for your help.
    10-12-08 08:43 AM
    Hmmm.. sounds as if something is running and using the battery,

If you have time, I would personally uninstall the apps, then reload them one by one, or take them off one by one and see if any of those are the culprit.. kinda, process of emlination..
    You havnt got facebook have you?
    10-12-08 08:50 AM
    I am too old for facebook or myspace.

Also, with this new OS, do I still need BeamBerry to see MS Word, Excel, and PDF Files?
    10-12-08 08:53 AM
    I found Push to Talk. I turned it off. What does the little light blue dot on the upper right of the home page mean?
    10-12-08 08:55 AM
    I think the lil dot is something to do with the push to talk thing, Ive read something like that before, although not sure, can you post a screen shot?

As far as beamberry and your MS word, Im clueless to that, I have NO clue..
    10-12-08 08:58 AM
    Yeah, look at this link.. its a PTT thing

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/blu...e-screen-7640/
    10-12-08 08:59 AM
    I found Push to Talk. I turned it off. What does the little light blue dot on the upper right of the home page mean?
    Your bluetooth is on

That's your battery drain.

Turn it off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-08 09:02 AM
    Okay, thanks again Rachel. I sure hope this battery thing settles down soon. Not at home, no charger available. Getting me nervous, as this BB is my only communication with the outside world.
    10-12-08 09:06 AM
    Hi Jstiner,

How do I turn off BlueTooth? I don't use that either. This upgrade is making me very nervous.
    10-12-08 09:07 AM
    YW, I hope everthing settles down for you, I really like the New OS, and thankfully I havnt had one issue.. gl
    10-12-08 09:08 AM
    Hi Jstiner,

How do I turn off BlueTooth? I don't use that either. This upgrade is making me very nervous.
    Options, bluetooth.. then you can enable or disable..
    10-12-08 09:09 AM
    BlueTooth is Disabled. Still can't get that blue dot off screen. PTT is off too.
    10-12-08 09:13 AM
    Battery pull?
    10-12-08 09:14 AM
    it does sound like you have PTT or bluetooth or some other app munching up your memory and battery power reserve. Turn off bluetooth and the other apps that are running and see how that does. I just upgraded to 4.5 and it works fine, but I'm using Vista and Outlook '07.

As to your sync issues, I'm not sure. there may be CICAL files interfering. good luck.
    10-12-08 09:15 AM
    Take a look at that PTT link, that is a way to remove it if you dont use it.
    10-12-08 09:15 AM
    I went to that PTT link. Is there another way to get this dot off the device, as I will have to wait to get home tonite to do this?
    10-12-08 09:30 AM
    As far as I know, thats the only way..

Does it still appear with a battery pull?
    10-12-08 09:32 AM
    Yes. I have also deleted all my apps that I had downloaded off the web. I am minutes from throwing this thru a window.
    10-12-08 09:36 AM
    Strange this now is that when I check to see what apps are running, PTT is not on the list, but that damn dot is still there.
    10-12-08 09:38 AM
    No clue, other than that link for tonight..
    10-12-08 09:42 AM
    I use the auto On/Off feature overnight, that will stop whatever is causing your battery drain through the night.

During the day, I have

It is normal for BlackBerry to use memory in normal use, as long as the file free memory stays above the Device Memory Limit, it does not cause a problem

Check your settings in Media Manager / Options. After the update, you can select the lowest setting, 5 Mb. Earlier verisons have a 12 Mb setting that should be used.

PTT is a AT&T only feature, if you choose to remove it, the best way is CrackMem.

link to follow...
    10-12-08 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD