So I'll be getting a Sim Only Blackberry Contract Tariff in the UK.

The Contract is what the image is above^^.
    Link to it.

500MB UK Data for Blackberry.
    Does that Include things like BBM & Standard GPRS/WAP Browsing?

Thanks
    Restrictive.
    Last edited by Restrictive; 10-31-10 at 07:11 AM.
    10-31-10 06:59 AM
    So I'll be getting a Sim Only Blackberry Contract Tariff in the UK.

The Contract is what the image is above^^.
    Link to it.

500MB UK Data for Blackberry.
    Does that Include things like BBM & Standard GPRS/WAP Browsing?

Thanks
    Restrictive.
    From the page you linked to
    BlackBerry tariffs also include unlimited messaging, email and Wi-Fi
    10-31-10 07:47 AM
    I just want to make Sure BBM is included in it.
    I dont want to get it to find that that hasn't been included.
    I wish they were much clearer.
    As Unlimited Messaging could mean SMS since you get unlimtied Text.

In these Contracts is GPRS Included???
    Just when I'm on the move I may want to use it.
    10-31-10 07:57 AM
    I just want to make Sure BBM is included in it.
    I dont want to get it to find that that hasn't been included.
    I wish they were much clearer.
    As Unlimited Messaging could mean SMS since you get unlimtied Text.

In these Contracts is GPRS Included???
    Just when I'm on the move I may want to use it.
    Yes, BBM and other blackberry services are included. I'm on that O2 SIM Only contract

Also GPRS is included, while i'm on a bold 9700 if I switch to 2G it will use GPRS (or EDGE in some areas). Web browsing works fine

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention. If you make an account and order through here: O2 CashBack: Free Maximum CashBack 15% / £60.00 then you will get �25 back.
    Last edited by ixa; 10-31-10 at 10:11 AM.
    10-31-10 09:51 AM
    Yes, BBM and other blackberry services are included. I'm on that O2 SIM Only contract

Also GPRS is included, while i'm on a bold 9700 if I switch to 2G it will use GPRS (or EDGE in some areas). Web browsing works fine

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention. If you make an account and order through here: O2 CashBack: Free Maximum CashBack 15% / £60.00 then you will get �25 back.
    Oh thanks for letting me know.
    I'm pretty much sorted now!
    Just contemplating whether 500MB will be enough for me but I think it will be!
    Glad that GRPS/Edge is included in the price, its my first contract you see, so I'm not too much in the now how of things like this!

Another quick question.
    It seems WIFI eats in your 500MB Limit, is that true?
    If so that would be a shame, I would have used WIFI to preserve that limit when at home.
    10-31-10 10:54 AM
    i am about to do the same changeover to the 600min 12mth plan.

i spoke to a rep last week who told me that i had used an avg 40mb per month over the last 17 months. that was on a 8900.
    o2 say that most users dont even reach 500mb a month of data, one of the reasons they lowered. i've heard anyone complaining too much about the new lower bandwidth.

as for wifi, dont quote me, but that doesnt make sense if it eats into ur 500mb limit. i use wifi at work and home. hopefully some else can clear that up?
    10-31-10 11:34 AM
    Hopefully it doesn't.
    Ixa may be able to tell us!
    10-31-10 01:10 PM
    It seems WIFI eats in your 500MB Limit, is that true?
    If so that would be a shame, I would have used WIFI to preserve that limit when at home.
    Sorry it took so long to reply, forgot to check the thread again.

It sort of does. When you connect to WiFi, it'll establish a connection to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) using the WiFi instead of your carriers network.

So things like BBM and other apps that rely on and/or just connect to the internet through BIS will still use your data allowance because traffic sent through BlackBerry servers isn't free.

Other apps may connect directly to the internet using your WiFi and won't use up your allowance. In your browser on OS 5 you can switch it to 'Hotspot Mode' where it uses your wifi instead of BIS thus not using up your 500MB data. If you leave it in Internet Mode, even while connected to WiFi I think it still uses BIS and your allowance.

In OS 6 the browser automatically switches to Hotspot mode

I think thats all correct, I hope so anyway

-iXa
    11-03-10 10:05 AM
    thanks for 'hotstop mode' tip, never knew that
    will be good for when i hand down 8900 to my sister and get the 9800 to replace hehe.

Even if apps do eat into 500mb, over EDGE i used FB, whatsapp, twitter, heavyily and google maps occasionally - which avg amounted to only 45mb per monthly, according to the rep i spoke to.

hope to get torch this weekend if i like it :|
    11-03-10 10:43 AM
    Sorry it took so long to reply, forgot to check the thread again.

It sort of does. When you connect to WiFi, it'll establish a connection to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) using the WiFi instead of your carriers network.

So things like BBM and other apps that rely on and/or just connect to the internet through BIS will still use your data allowance because traffic sent through BlackBerry servers isn't free.

Other apps may connect directly to the internet using your WiFi and won't use up your allowance. In your browser on OS 5 you can switch it to 'Hotspot Mode' where it uses your wifi instead of BIS thus not using up your 500MB data. If you leave it in Internet Mode, even while connected to WiFi I think it still uses BIS and your allowance.

In OS 6 the browser automatically switches to Hotspot mode

I think thats all correct, I hope so anyway

-iXa
    Thank you.
    So things like the browser doesn't use up your allowance whilst on Wifi.
    I'm fine with that, as I'll be mostly using Wifi for things like that.

I'll remember to switch to Hotspot Mode!

Hoping to get it all sorted this week.
    Just waiting on O2...
    11-03-10 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD