Hi

About 6 weeks ago I went out, dropped my phone and the next day I noticed the ringer wasn't working. I pulled the battery after I had no idea what else to do and the ringtones/notifications worked again. However about every 5 or 6 days the same thing happens and I have to pull the battery. I also noticed that when I check the ringtone options whenever the ringtones fail the BB says "invalid ringtone, please choose anther ringtone"...could it be that the loudspeaker is loose? It's not busted because it works most of the time and a battery pull seems to solve the issue..

Just now I had to pull the battery again to get the ringtones sounding...

Any advice is much appreciated

Jen
    07-28-10 08:12 PM
    Take the memory card out, and while you at it, clean it with a clean pensil eraser and put it back in. It sounds like it got loose from the impact. Though I'm not sure why a battery pull fixes the isuue
    07-29-10 05:09 AM
    Great! Thanks! I just tried to see if that will work...I'll let you know if the problem returns
    07-29-10 04:49 PM
    Hi,

I tried what Ahmed said but it didn't solve the issue permanently...what else can I try?

Thanks!
    08-03-10 03:24 PM
    Is the little hold down tab for the memory card broken or deformed? All I can think of is that when you pull the battery and then press it back in, you are pushing down on the memory card contacts.

Maybe try and flex the card holder down, so that it keeps more pressure on the card itself. Just don't deform it so much that you can't get the card back in!
    08-04-10 05:07 PM
    Hi,

The little tab is fine. When I took out the memory card and put it back in the card clicked in nicely. The battery is so far from the memory card though so they can't be related.

I'm still thinking it's speaker related...
    08-05-10 02:29 PM
    The speaker is piece of hardware though, so either it works, or it doesn't. It may be the "sound card" of the phone board that stops sending output to the speaker, but if that is the case...a new phone may be in order.
    08-05-10 04:06 PM
    It's weird that a battery pull solves the issue though...I think I'll take it to a tech next week...I have to pull the battery again since now it's not outputting sound
    08-05-10 09:30 PM
    from the media player it says "device media processor is busy" and in red "Error Playing"

mmmmm any ideas?
    08-05-10 09:32 PM
    I found this from "mrmw"...I think I'll give it a go...

This is the problem--and yes, here is the cure
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
    Just remove voice dialing if you don't use it and you'll never have the problem.
    The voice dialer is part of the symptom, but not the cure.

I have chased this to ground and up a tree.

The cause and the cure are now known. Notwithstanding all prior posts, deleting the playlist, accessing the voice dialer, doing a battery pull, changing or formatting the micro sdhc card-all temporary fixes. All transient.

The root cause are corrupted address book and calendar database components.

The cure is to wipe your device, reinstall the operating system, selectively restore databases and restore your address book and calendar ONLY from exported CSV files, NOT from backed up databases.

Here are the steps:
    1. Use Desktop Manager Synchronize facility to run CSV backups of your address book and calendar (see Crackberry instructions at other links); AND from Desktop Manager Main Menu run a full database backup.
    2. Back up 3rd party apps (see Crackberry instructions at other links)
    3. From Blackberry.com, download and install to your computer the latest Carrier/Model specific operating system
    4. Download and install Blackberry Swiss Army Knife (see Crackberry instructions at other links)
    5. Use Blackberry Swiss Army Knife (see Crackberry instructions at other links) to:
    --wipe your system
    --load your Operating System
    --restore 3rd party apps
    6. Use Desktop manager to selectively restore ONLY these database components (see Crackberry instructions at other links):
    --Browser bookmarks
    --Browser Options
    --Phone call log
    --Service Books
    7. Use Desktop Manager Synchronize to synchronize your Address and Calendar CSV files back to your phone.

Voila. Fixed.

Repeat: The cause is corrupted address book and calendar database components.

PS--it's possible in (6) above that you may be able to restore other database components in addition to those listed. If you do, and you don't get database corruptions, it would be good to post here.

What pointed me to the address book as the culprit is that the voice dialer, when it opens, immediately scours the address book. That was the clue, together with the transient fix effected by opening the voice dialer.

And here is how we chased the cause to ground and up a tree:
    --low level wipe and operating system (Sprint 8330 4.5.0.175) install
    --No errors
    --restore 3rd party apps
    --No errors
    --Restore Databases, all, using Desktop Manager
    --ERROR returns. Sigh.
    --low level wipe and operating system install
    --no errors
    --restore 3rd party apps
    --no errors
    --restore (as in -6- above) Browser bookmarks, phone call log, service books etc
    --no errors
    --restore address book and calendar (as in -7- above) from CSV files NOT from databases
    --no errors.

Cheers.
    08-05-10 09:50 PM
    I almost panicked, but then remembered Crackberry. Now my ring tones all all valid.

Thanks
    09-09-10 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD