So my wife and I are new blackberry owners, and we got the Verizon Curve 8330's, silver for me, pink for her. My question is about the OS. I updated our phones last night via the blackberry desktop, and ended up with version 4.5.0.138, but I'm seeing in the stickys that there is a higher version. Do I have to manually update to that version, or is there something I'm not catching here? I don't think they are 8330m's as I don't see an "m" behind the 8330 on the about page. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-13-09 06:40 PM
    I am actually looking into this same thing right now. I have the silver she has the pink as well. I agree i dont remember seeing the "M" after the label. I would say for now to leave at the x.x.x.138 becasue it appears to be stable and working great. I cant remember what it was before that. This update we got might be the only approved update by verizon right now so we might not see the x.x.x.160 for some time then.

I will let you know what i find out when i get some answers myself.
    08-13-09 06:51 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for replying. Hope you're enjoying the phones as much as I am. I actually like the pink one too because of all the chrome around the screen and main buttons.
    08-13-09 06:56 PM
    Posted by BlackNGray in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.160 is the newest for the 8330.

.138 is the newest from Verizon.

so it looks like my guessing was right. The x.x.x.160 is from BB newest
    and the x.x.x.138 is the newest verizon will support.

Personaly i would leave it at where it is at i know i will.
    08-13-09 06:59 PM
    Heheh yes the pink one is awesome becasue of the nice white buttons and what not. I know i love my phone wonder how i ever lived without it!!! I use it for its full capabilities at all times. they are great phones and i would def get another berry when the time comes again......

Awesome. Thanks for replying. Hope you're enjoying the phones as much as I am. I actually like the pink one too because of all the chrome around the screen and main buttons.
    08-13-09 07:01 PM
    While you can use any os with any bb(device specific...it has to be for the 8330 in your case) .138 is the latest release for vzw and it seems that the vzw 8330 has issues with .160.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 07:07 PM
    Thank you grandpa dan for the post... I will stick with .138 for now till i can see what is going on with the others. Most likely keep it till the next official vzw release comes out.
    08-13-09 07:11 PM
    IMO you've made the right decision. When you're a bit more comfortable with how the OS is laid out and the installation process look into loading up one of the hybrid OS out there. A few members here have used what RIM has released and made some very stable,quick and bug free hybrid OS's that are highly recommended.
    In the meantime, sticking with your carriers official supported release is the way to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 07:23 PM
    Thanks for the answers everyone. I figured since I saw that the .138 was the official verizon release, that it was the best I would get for now.
    08-13-09 08:36 PM
    If you head to verizon's SW update page you can find the current version. The site is vzam.net/blackberry
    Last edited by AaronWasHere; 08-14-09 at 12:09 AM. Reason: I can't spell lol
    08-14-09 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD