Hi all, just wanted to say hi and intro myself to the forum! First time BB user and forum poster so go easy Been sifting through the wide amount of knowledge on the forums even before getting the Curve and it's well worth it.

I must say that reading all the problems on trackballs, wi-fi, e-mail, bricking the phone, disassembling the device, short battery life, poor camera, poor performance etc. NEARLY got me out of buying this great device. All that info is seriously overwhleming! Sometimes, the less you know, the better

Right, so far, so good. Quickly, in spending a bit of time with it:

PROS:
    - Photos on the internet do NOT do it justice, this thing is SLICK!
    - Battery life is thankfully so much better than what a lot of ppl were saying it was. 75% and been going since 11pm last night, til 8.30pm today. Of course, I'm not a heavy user as you guys are, and haven't set it up for everything I need just yet.
    - Trackball works great! Really responsive and you can set the sensitivity.
    - Very quick but, it does slow down a tad bit in sub-folders.
    - Videos and the screen itself is VERY slick.
    - Speakerphone is extremely loud and clear.
    - Camera is fantastic really. GSMarena was saying it's such a disappointment etc. but have a look at the pics posted in some of these threads. They're gorgeous!

CONS:
    - Wobbly keyboard rumors turned out true BUT I can live with it!
    - BB is hard to set-up, without forums like these available, but Nokia's are no-brainers for e.g.

Can I get some help as well please? I can't find a thread relating to this.
    Under Setup>Setup Wizard>E-mail Setup>
    the next screen is supposed to say "select an email setup option"
    - I want to create or add an email address
    - I want to use a work email account with BES

My device only give the 2nd option (BES) not the first. What's wrong with my device?

Second question (sorry!). I've searched the forums for Wi-Fi and the 'Compete WiFI How-To' thread but I can't troubleshoot my device. I've done all of the above including resending the log book and doing a battery pull etc. and my device can connect to the Wi-Fi but it shows a _ white bar even though it's connected (green). Any solutions? I've read that changing OS can work.

Any help much appreciated!
    07-01-09 07:45 AM
    You'd need a bb email and data package with your provider

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 08:59 AM
    You'd need a bb email and data package with your provider

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm a bit confused, I know I definitely would need a Blackberry data plan if I'm using BIS and the push e-mail function, but from what I gather from the forum, you can get pull e-mail function just using a normal SIM card without any plans (e.g. on a prepaid SIM with 50MB worth of data included for arguments sake). The problem is that it doesn't have an option in the device where it should be (according to the online manual).

Also, been playing around more with the WiFi connection, and it's rather unusual, it only works when I've got my SIM card out of the device. Seems like the SIM setting is clashing with the WiFi settings but I'll have to tweak it around further. It may even just be that pulling the battery is causing the WiFi to work again.
    07-01-09 11:57 AM
    I'm a bit confused, I know I definitely would need a Blackberry data plan if I'm using BIS and the push e-mail function, but from what I gather from the forum, you can get pull e-mail function just using a normal SIM card without any plans (e.g. on a prepaid SIM with 50MB worth of data included for arguments sake). The problem is that it doesn't have an option in the device where it should be (according to the online manual).
    You need a third party app specifically written to get your email across your Wifi connection to get any email service without a Blackberry Data Plan.

Also, been playing around more with the WiFi connection, and it's rather unusual, it only works when I've got my SIM card out of the device. Seems like the SIM setting is clashing with the WiFi settings but I'll have to tweak it around further. It may even just be that pulling the battery is causing the WiFi to work again.
    Wifi can and does work with or with out a SIM card... Go into Options > Mobile Network > I believe your Data Services should be Off, but your Connection Preferences should Wi-Fi Preferred... check those two settings.
    07-01-09 12:17 PM
    You need a third party app specifically written to get your email across your Wifi connection to get any email service without a Blackberry Data Plan.

Wifi can and does work with or with out a SIM card... Go into Options > Mobile Network > I believe your Data Services should be Off, but your Connection Preferences should Wi-Fi Preferred... check those two settings.
    Thanks for clearing the first question up. In other words, GPRS is not able to get emails pulled to the device and a Blackberry Data Plan is necessary correct (without a 3rd party app)?

Checked all the WiFi settings, and did what you suggested again. No good still. Still trying to tweak around with it, I don't see how it can work for a while and then not work again.

P.S. Thanks for all the How-to's that you made, very helpful indeed! Can I just make a suggestion as an alernative method to add in the 'How-to upgrade new OS', that the use of Loader.exe (located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) instead of using the Desktop Manager works much better and seems quicker too. The DM finds it really hard to distinguish between the OS you're running, and I wasted nearly 2 hours installing and re-installing the OS and re-downloading the OS again. Just a suggestion.
    07-01-09 12:47 PM
    Thanks for clearing the first question up. In other words, GPRS is not able to get emails pulled to the device and a Blackberry Data Plan is necessary correct (without a 3rd party app)?

Checked all the WiFi settings, and did what you suggested again. No good still. Still trying to tweak around with it, I don't see how it can work for a while and then not work again.

P.S. Thanks for all the How-to's that you made, very helpful indeed! Can I just make a suggestion as an alernative method to add in the 'How-to upgrade new OS', that the use of Loader.exe (located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) instead of using the Desktop Manager works much better and seems quicker too. The DM finds it really hard to distinguish between the OS you're running, and I wasted nearly 2 hours installing and re-installing the OS and re-downloading the OS again. Just a suggestion.
    Check out the Wifi link in my signature. That has a lot of good into in it.

And personally I prefer the Loader.exe instead of the DM method on upgrading my OS.
    07-01-09 12:53 PM
    Check out the Wifi link in my signature. That has a lot of good into in it.

And personally I prefer the Loader.exe instead of the DM method on upgrading my OS.
    Checked out the link to Wifi previously, really good info.

Tweaked out the settings again, and Data services needs to be On for browser to work. Wi-fi only wants to work properly when the GSM network is switched off, when using Wi-Fi preferred setting. Can't find any other way around this so far and the white _ is still there under WiFi Connections even though its connected. I'm using .250 btw.
    07-01-09 12:58 PM
    if you have a text msg plan, you can forward gmail onto phone through "email forwarding" option. can read a few sentences of it but cant reply, but at least it doesnt require data plan
    07-01-09 01:03 PM
    Right think I've got this WiFi issue sorted. There's a few bookmarks in the browser, Blackberry Bookmarks, Wi-Fi Services, and Carrier's Bookmark. If you click on a bookmark saved in the Carrier's Bookmark, it reverts back to GPRS, otherwise entering in a URL or clicking on a Bookmark under Blackberry Bookmark or Wi-Fi services uses the Wi-Fi connection (if you had set Wi-Fi preferred under options).
    07-01-09 01:09 PM
    Yes, the bookmarks use the browser configuration settings that were there when they were saved.
    07-01-09 01:16 PM
    Yes, the bookmarks use the browser configuration settings that were there when they were saved.
    Yeah, a bit unusual for me, as I'm used to saving bookmarks just as is, and whatever connection I use, will be used to connect to that bookmark regardless of how it was saved. Personally not a fan of this feature, but the important thing is that it works I suppose
    07-01-09 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD