I know there are different methods, physically removing the battery, "3 finger" reboot, etc....

But what about turning off the device and turning it back on? i.e. Auto On/Off.

Would this not accomplish the same thing?
    08-12-09 11:56 AM
    No, it doesn't do the same thing. Physically removing the battery from the device is the best thing you can do and that cannot be replicated.
    08-12-09 12:11 PM
    No. Turning it off is really just putting it in a low power state.
    08-12-09 12:11 PM
    Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the prompt replies!

Now to see how hard it will be to remove the Innocase II!
    08-12-09 01:00 PM
    Does anyone know if the app QuickPull really does exactly the same as a battery pull? Or is it still not a 100% hard reset it does?
    08-13-09 05:52 AM
    Quick Pull is good to use. I compare it to your pc. Reboot = Quick pull or Battery pull, Log Off = turning the phone icon and Sleep = lock button on the top.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 06:00 AM
    So forgive another noob question, but what does a battery pull actualy do?

08-13-09 06:48 AM
    Completely resets the device thereby solving any number of issues. Bit like rebooting your PC does!
    08-13-09 06:54 AM
    Quick Pull is good to use. I compare it to your pc. Reboot = Quick pull or Battery pull, Log Off = turning the phone icon and Sleep = lock button on the top.

But Quick Pull IS NOT = Battery Pull!!! Quick Pull = Soft Restart, but not as good as a Battery Pull.
    08-13-09 08:13 AM
    But Quick Pull IS NOT = Battery Pull!!! Quick Pull = Soft Restart, but not as good as a Battery Pull.
    It does more than a Shift-Alt-Del I believe but maybe not as much as a proper battery pull then.
    08-13-09 08:17 AM
    It does more than a Shift-Alt-Del I believe but maybe not as much as a proper battery pull then.
    Sorry, but I disagree with part of your statement.... Quick Pull is nothing more than a program that starts a soft restart (Shift-Alt-Del)... which is the part I agree with you - it is still not as good as a proper battery pull.
    08-13-09 08:26 AM
    Sorry, but I disagree with part of your statement.... Quick Pull is nothing more than a program that starts a soft restart (Shift-Alt-Del)... which is the part I agree with you - it is still not as good as a proper battery pull.
    Their description is quite misleading in that case - they say it "Simulates a “battery pull” to free memory and increase performance.":
    Steelthorn Software » QuickPull Pro (v3)
    08-13-09 09:04 AM
    I always thought quick pull was the same as a battery pull, just more convenient, now I know better, thanks!

Might be worth it to remove quick pull to conserver memory and just use shif-alt-del...
    08-13-09 09:07 AM
    I always thought quick pull was the same as a battery pull, just more convenient, now I know better, thanks!

Might be worth it to remove quick pull to conserver memory and just use shif-alt-del...
    I think that is a great idea.

And to DomConway... The Key word is Simulates... it's still not a battery pull... not sure how many different ways I can say the same thing... Alt+Shift+Del is the same thing as a SIMULATED battery pull, QuickPull does nothing but put a little more overhead on your OS to do a Simulated Battery Pull. It still needs the operating system to be there to start something to make your device restart... where as a battery pull leaves nothing behind... it starts your device with nothing in the memory except a clean OS load... therefore it is totally fresh... again, nothing is as good as a battery pull!!!
    08-13-09 09:28 AM
    I wasn't disagreeing with you fatboy, I was just pointing out that Steelthorn's blurb is misleading in that case.

Something else slightly related that I've been wondering - if you use the Turn Power Off icon, you get two choices - "Turn Off" and "Full Power Off". What is the actual difference between these?
    08-13-09 09:34 AM
    I wasn't disagreeing with you fatboy, I was just pointing out that Steelthorn's blurb is misleading in that case.

Something else slightly related that I've been wondering - if you use the Turn Power Off icon, you get two choices - "Turn Off" and "Full Power Off". What is the actual difference between these?
    Turn Off is like putting your device in a Hibernate mode, except it does not even listen for calls or messages... pushing the Red Phone symbol turns it right back on.

I just tried the "Full Power Off"... never used that option before, but that seems to do the exact same thing, except it almost looks like it does a little more when it's "Powering Down", but it's still takes only a second to power up.

Either way you are not getting any phone calls or emails until it wakes up... I use the "Auto On/Off" under Options every night to have my device go to sleep, which is nothing more then the "Full Power Off", but mine wakes up a minute or two before my alarm goes off.

Hope this helps... even though I'm not totally sure if there is any real difference between those two options... but I'm not a RIM programmer.
    08-13-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD