why is this? if it would just stay on roaming, it would be fine. it keeps switching back and forth from sprint to roaming which makes it pretty much impossible to talk on inside. what should i do?
    09-13-09 08:32 PM
    Several options, change carriers, get an Airave, get a cellular repeater/amplifier. All options cost $$$.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 08:50 PM
    Somethin in your apartment must be blockin the signal!
    09-13-09 08:54 PM
    I had the same prob when I was using a 8350i with sprint/nextel. I then changed for that reason to the 8330m and (((BAM))) service everywhere . I'm on mobile so I can't see what handheld you have but I know that was the problem for me

09-13-09 09:10 PM
    If you can see if a another phone does the same thing?? You might have sprint reprovision or update phone to be sure you are getting all the towers...
    09-13-09 09:22 PM
    If you can see if a another phone does the same thing?? You might have sprint reprovision or update phone to be sure you are getting all the towers...
    3 of my friends have sprint, and none of them work here. other providers do work, though.

i have a sprint 8330. not sure what the m stands for or if i have it
    Several options, change carriers, get an Airave, get a cellular repeater/amplifier. All options cost $$$.

which is the cheapest?
    Last edited by skynyrd465; 09-13-09 at 10:13 PM.
    09-13-09 10:08 PM
    i have a sprint 8330. not sure what the m stands for or if i have it

which is the cheapest?
    Check your Options, About screen. Your device is listed on the first line.

The cheapest might be the Airave if you can convince Sprint customer service/retentions to give it to you free since you have no service. Drawback to the Airave is it is ony good for 1X, no EVDO support on Airave.

09-13-09 10:17 PM
    if your building was built with metal studs then that could be effecting the signal inside. Like it was suggested above you might want to look into the range extender option.
    09-13-09 10:26 PM
    This is fairly common for apartments. One carrier will work, the other wont.

Normally a combination of 2 things:
    1) The building: The building design is the big one. You figure a lot of stuff is going on inside those walls (pipes, sound proofing slightly between apartments, and most likely a lot of metal wall studs). This is all going to hamper your signal no matter what to a degree.

2) Cell tower location: Combine this with number one. In addition you have the location of your nearest carrier cell towers. If you have a tower thats lets say 5 miles away on the opposite side of yoru building it's going to be pushign it as 7miles is the average towers "decent" limit. Then you ahve whats in between you an the tower, etc.

Most likely you have a bad combo of the two. Other carriers may not have it as they are going to have diff cell tower locations, and most likely are in a different direction, or higher population of towers in your area.

As mentioned above a booster type situation is your only "safe" bet outside changing carriers, or apartments.
    09-13-09 10:34 PM
    You might be able to talk Sprint into giving you the Airave free. So just call them up and tell them you don't get service in your apt. and you need to be able to use your phone in your apt. They might hook you up.
    09-13-09 10:36 PM
    guys dont forget, Sprint only operates on the 1900Mhz PCS band. CDMA phones using this frequency have a tougher time penetrating walls/buildings than 800Mhz phones, like some AT&T devices. just the way it is. try using ur phone closer to windows to see if reception improves. my old Motorola iC902 operating on Sprint would barely have one bar, if that, im my works lockerroom and basement. my AT&T phone gets full reception in the same spots.
    09-14-09 02:41 AM
    You might be able to talk Sprint into giving you the Airave free. So just call them up and tell them you don't get service in your apt. and you need to be able to use your phone in your apt. They might hook you up.
    just tried that. the lady was a ***** about it and said that i would have to pay $50 for it. i said there's no way i'm paying for something that i don't even know works. maybe i should try to call back and get another agent on the line. the only thing this lady told me was to go to the sprint store to get them to look at it. yeah, big help, especially seeing as 3 of my friends have sprint, and none of their phones work either. maybe i can get someone at the sprint store to give me the free airrave. ugh, this is so frustrating. i really don't want to pay the $150+ to cancel my contract, especially since i am getting a 25% discount on my plan, but i really need to be able to use my phone in here. is the airrave definitely worth $50? she said that she would waive the $5/mo fee, but she couldn't waive the $50 equipment fee since i'm in the coverage area. what's my play? sorry for the big block of text
    09-14-09 11:19 AM
    she said that she would waive the $5/mo fee, but she couldn't waive the $50 equipment fee
    If I were you, I would have taken it. Pay $50, and get $60/year service for free? No brainer.
    Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. Sell it on craigs list.
    09-14-09 12:14 PM
    skynyrd, FYI you need a wireless broadband router for the Airave to work.
    09-14-09 02:43 PM
    everyone i know that has sprint has issues when they come to my house. if they stand outside on the porch they get full signal, step inside the house no signal at all...i think its kinda funny. i have no signal issues with at&t when i'm home.
    09-14-09 07:59 PM
    Apartments and houses are odd things.

When I had a T-Mobile prepaid or any of my friends who had AT&T came over...they couldn't get a signal in my place. Break out the CDMA phones from Verizon or Sprint, and you're good to go!

Seems like cell signals of all kinds are a real dice-roll when it comes to "will they?/won't they?".

I would've probably given the Airave a shot. Whatever you end up doin', I hope you get it sorted...I know what a pain that is!
    09-14-09 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD