I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 with Sprint. I was having problems with my microphone and speaker (not to mention pretty beat up from being in my pocket and used for a year). Anyways went to cash in on my insurance plan at a Sprint store and they gave me a new (or refurbished) shiny phone, same model. I had backed up my phone using the Desktop manager right before bringing it in, so I ran all the updates and restored everything once I got home.

I want to reinstall my applications. Got my internet working, downloaded Opera Mini.. and now looking to get the Gmail application restored. It's the app I have used the most and it worked flawlessly before this.

I went in the Opera browser to Google's website, then selected Gmail to download the application, and got this message:

"Sorry, the Gmail application does not work on your 8330. However, you can access Gmail on the go by using the web version.

Get instant access to your Gmail for free on the go. Carrier charges may apply."

Why can't I use this any more on my phone? Hoping maybe there's a way to download an older version or trick it with a version from another phone. I realize I can use the web version, but much prefer the app. Has anybody found a workaround for this problem?

My version is v4.5.0.131 (Platform 3.4.0.25). Assuming this is the latest upgrade authorized by Sprint so far (the Desktop manager has no newer updates for me)
    08-18-09 08:18 PM
    Try using the BB browser when selecting the download instead of Opera.
    08-18-09 08:22 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I also think I might have solved my own problem.. noticed the same message when I tried getting Google Maps, so I tried finding the mobile download page via my desktop - and sent myself a text message link. It now allows me to download it. Problem solved (I think).

Strange how Google told me explicitly that these wouldn't work for my device, but perhaps it was because I was using Opera.
    08-18-09 08:29 PM
    Yeah you have to do downloading from the bb browser or at least I have to and everytime I use a separate browser and I want to download something it opens up the page in the bb browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 02:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD