I have been looking around and cannot find a straight answer to this question.
    On the T-Mobile website they say, "A Blackberry Data Service is required." but on checkout, without choosing a data plan it allows me to purchase the phone. T-mobile store reps have constantly told me that I MUST buy a data plan service, and the phone is not sold without it, and won't work without it.
    Can someone please clarify all of this for me.
    08-02-09 06:50 PM
    You don't have to buy a data plan, this will limit what you can do with your blackberry such as using anything that needs data like BlackBerry messenger. You should be able to get online using WiFi in a hotspot location or via a router at your home.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/uma-setup-how-206217

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 07:00 PM
    I'm not going to give you hard time for not searching, , but this thread has a number of links and other information about running without a data plan. Good luck.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/89...a-plan-160704/

08-02-09 07:04 PM
    I have been looking around and cannot find a straight answer to this question.
    On the T-Mobile website they say, "A Blackberry Data Service is required." but on checkout, without choosing a data plan it allows me to purchase the phone. T-mobile store reps have constantly told me that I MUST buy a data plan service, and the phone is not sold without it, and won't work without it.
    Can someone please clarify all of this for me.
    Last month T-Mobile decided that in order for you to get the BB at a discounted price they would subsidize there loss by requiring you to maintain a data plan for your contract term or you could forgo the data plan commitment and pay full retail for the phone.
    08-02-09 07:44 PM
    I'm not going to give you hard time for not searching, , but this thread has a number of links and other information about running without a data plan. Good luck.
    Thanks! I should have mentioned I'm new here...
    What a relief. i just can't wait to get my hot little hands on the 8900, trying out the keyboard yesterday, made me fall in love, it's really easy to use and tactile!
    08-02-09 09:38 PM
    Get that 8900 and welcome to crackberry. This site rocks.

People here are generally awesome and patient with us newbies. Try searching and looking through the stuff, especially the 101 lectures.

Believe it or not our questions are not unique little snowflakes, but then again most people here will answer questions in ernest and help when they can.

You will be addicted.
    08-02-09 10:10 PM
    I work for T-mobile. Obviously the phone will work without a data plan but as of june 3rd we are not allowed to sell any blackberries without a data plan except for the pearl flip. I was also told a week ago that if wifi is used on the phone you would be charged for data but this hasn't been confirmed yet by myself because I haven't worked with a manager since I was told that and I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow .
    08-02-09 10:18 PM
    The only thing I'm concerned about is that perhaps T-mobile might automatically add the data plan to my phone without my knowledge, and use some law from the 17th century against me.
    08-02-09 10:42 PM
    I work for T-mobile. Obviously the phone will work without a data plan but as of june 3rd we are not allowed to sell any blackberries without a data plan except for the pearl flip. I was also told a week ago that if wifi is used on the phone you would be charged for data but this hasn't been confirmed yet by myself because I haven't worked with a manager since I was told that and I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow .
    There is noway a carrier can charge a customer for using date via WiFi on their device. Please quit saying things to scare people. The phone can even be used via a WiFi connection with no SIM card in the device.
    08-03-09 12:11 AM
    Has anyone successfully purchased a Blackberry 8900 on T-Mo without a data plan? i was talking to a rep today and he said, It's possible that T-Mo will automatically add it. SO CONFUSLLLEEDDD!
    08-04-09 03:58 PM
    I think they will add the plan..... If you read the terms and conditions before you buy I am sure it is in there somewhere.

08-04-09 05:12 PM
    It used to be that you didn't have to get a data plan for a BlackBerry or any smartphone for that matter on T-Mobile. Now you do. So unless you buy an 8900 at the retail price from T-Mobile which is a ripoff or buy one from a third-party such as people on the CB BST section, you will have to get a data plan with the device. So if you got the device with a 1-year contract or a 2-year contract and got the subsidy, you have to have the data plan for the duration of the contract. That's the way it is now.
    08-04-09 05:50 PM
    its worth getting it tho... trust me... anybody here will tell you the same thing...
    08-04-09 06:59 PM
    It stinks yes but T-Mobile requires that you get the data plan for your berry. If you intend to get the phone at a discount price and get the mail-in rebate, you need the plan.

You can always change your phone selection later to some dumbphone and then remove the data plan. T-Mobile can't do anything when you do that.
    08-04-09 07:50 PM
    I have indeed successfully ordered the phone without a data plan, but with an unlimited Texting plan, which apparently counts!
    08-04-09 09:22 PM
    It stinks yes but T-Mobile requires that you get the data plan for your berry. If you intend to get the phone at a discount price and get the mail-in rebate, you need the plan.

You can always change your phone selection later to some dumbphone and then remove the data plan. T-Mobile can't do anything when you do that.
    They will, I would assume, charge you a cancellation fee if you do that.

I have indeed successfully ordered the phone without a data plan, but with an unlimited Texting plan, which apparently counts!
    Just keep an eye on your bill I hope it works out for you!!
    08-04-09 09:38 PM
    i bought an 8900 and the tmobile representative said that they dont sell them without the data plan its mandatory...so i bought it got a discount and then i didnt want the data plan since i dont use it...and then i went back to get rid of it and they wanted to charge me 200 bucks to get rid of it..and then a week later my brother went and got it removed and they didnt charge me anything...and i love it without the plan internet is useless to me...i own a laptop and an ipod touch so why would i need internet?? anyways i hope they dont end up charging me lol
    08-04-09 09:51 PM
    They will, I would assume, charge you a cancellation fee if you do that.

Ugh, really? That must be new. I always heard if you changed your phone selection you could remove it and T-Mobile wouldn't know the difference. I mean, they haven't ever been like AT&T, looking over IMEIs and making sure everyone had the data plan.

You're probably right though.
    08-04-09 09:53 PM
    i bought an 8900 and the tmobile representative said that they dont sell them without the data plan its mandatory...so i bought it got a discount and then i didnt want the data plan since i dont use it...and then i went back to get rid of it and they wanted to charge me 200 bucks to get rid of it..and then a week later my brother went and got it removed and they didnt charge me anything...and i love it without the plan internet is useless to me...i own a laptop and an ipod touch so why would i need internet?? anyways i hope they dont end up charging me lol
    Why would you even get a BB if you dont wanna use a data plan! You wont even enjoy tha full features of tha phone!! Its useless without one!!!
    08-04-09 09:53 PM
    Why would you even get a BB if you dont wanna use a data plan! You wont even enjoy tha full features of tha phone!! Its useless without one!!!
    Without full features? Yes. Useless? Of course not.

If I had Wi-Fi everywhere, you can bet I'd drop the data plan. You can always download a client to get fast pull email when you're within Wi-Fi. Internet and some apps also work too.

People should be able to use the phone they want in the way that they want...if they don't want to pay more per month and are willing to sacrifice some features, that's their choice.
    08-04-09 09:56 PM
    That is a different discussion for a different thread. Please let's not get into this again, it is covered in countless threads already. Thanks.
    08-04-09 10:09 PM
    Well.... I agree 100% with that, but you have to pay full retail to do that if you don't want a data plan... You can always threaten to pay the $200 and leave an I would suspect they might let you drop the data plan at that.

With out the BB data plan you wouldn't have some of the features but for some that want the 8900 as a status symbol that would be fine with them

08-04-09 10:12 PM
    tmobile tripping
    08-04-09 11:13 PM
    Ive pretty much been able to remove the data plan on any phone Samsung Behold, T-Mobile G1, Blackberry 8900, and more. I always tell the CSR that im going to give the phone to my sister and so i tell them to remove it, and they do it without fees. When you sign the contract its only for the Voice Plan NOT the Data or MSG plan. It would be if you wanted to remove the text msg... if your kid txts too much.

Plus I know of my friends at ATT who dont even have a data plan for their iPhone, because they are surrounded by WiFi everywhere. So all they have is a family plan with 3 iPhones and no data plan.

- Alvin
    08-04-09 11:13 PM
    well i just got my 8900 yesterday, and i didnt pay full price. the tmobile rep said either get a data plan for blackberries or or simply get unlimited texting. i just got the plain tmobile texting and everything was just fine. hope that helps.
    and also, i dont know if i can use blackberry messenger just with this texting plan. can anyone enlighten me on that?
    08-04-09 11:54 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD