I am a noob and a bit overwhelmed by all the recent rumors and what have you

I need to decide on a new bberry phone and have been struggling between 8900 on TMB or the upcoming Niagara on Verizon

I am currently on verizon and like their coverage in my area best. I really NEED/WANT two things from my phone ;

1) GSM capability due to more international travel
    2) Tether to latop... I have no internet at my house and use the bberry to connect my laptop

The disadvantage for TMobile seems to be their shoddy coverage in my area (Nor*Cal) and the fact that they don't have G# network and hence even if I can tether my laptop it would be slower than tethering a Verizon Naigara (? not sure ?)

Disadvantage of Verizon (besides that I have to wait for anew phone) is that they charge me for using GPS capability in phone. Also I think the Niagara is a little bit bigger than the 8900?

I don't care about WiFi. My work covers my cellphone bill but I'd hate to explain that I want to have them pay $15 a month for non-work related GPS on my phone. They gladly pay for my tethering though Verizon though.

Am I missing something here?
    06-04-09 12:34 PM
    I am a noob and a bit overwhelmed by all the recent rumors and what have you

I need to decide on a new bberry phone and have been struggling between 8900 on TMB or the upcoming Niagara on Verizon

I am currently on verizon and like their coverage in my area best. I really NEED/WANT two things from my phone ;

1) GSM capability due to more international travel
    2) Tether to latop... I have no internet at my house and use the bberry to connect my laptop

The disadvantage for TMobile seems to be their shoddy coverage in my area (Nor*Cal) and the fact that they don't have G# network and hence even if I can tether my laptop it would be slower than tethering a Verizon Naigara (? not sure ?)

Disadvantage of Verizon (besides that I have to wait for anew phone) is that they charge me for using GPS capability in phone. Also I think the Niagara is a little bit bigger than the 8900?

I don't care about WiFi. My work covers my cellphone bill but I'd hate to explain that I want to have them pay $15 a month for non-work related GPS on my phone. They gladly pay for my tethering though Verizon though.

Am I missing something here?

I'm a little confused, you say you want GSM capability, which the Niagara [now known as the Tour] has, but then you're talking about having to pay extra for GPS, which is a different thing entirely.

If you like Verizon, and their coverage is best in your area, this seems like a no-brainer - go for the Tour. It's a tad bigger than the 8900 (it's between the 8900 and the 9000/Bold), but not noticeably much.

As for GPS, if you definitely needed that, there's an extra $10/mo charge on Verizon to use their VZNav.

hope that helps.
    06-04-09 12:41 PM
    With newer devices you don't have to pay VZW for GPS functionality. Only if you use their VZNav do they charge you.

At least... GPS is unlocked for the Storm. But I recall reading somewhere that that would be the new norm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 12:44 PM
    With newer devices you don't have to pay VZW for GPS functionality. Only if you use their VZNav do they charge you.

At least... GPS is unlocked for the Storm. But I recall reading somewhere that that would be the new norm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Cool. i didnt know that. On my current pearl on verizon I can nto seem to use the GPS capabilities without paying Verizon for it (something that is not worthwile for me)
    06-04-09 12:47 PM
    I'm a little confused, you say you want GSM capability, which the Niagara [now known as the Tour] has, but then you're talking about having to pay extra for GPS, which is a different thing entirely.

If you like Verizon, and their coverage is best in your area, this seems like a no-brainer - go for the Tour. It's a tad bigger than the 8900 (it's between the 8900 and the 9000/Bold), but not noticeably much.

As for GPS, if you definitely needed that, there's an extra $10/mo charge on Verizon to use their VZNav.

hope that helps.
    - GPS is nice but not really needed.

- Didn't even relaize the Niagara is now the Tour... I hope I am not the only one that is just lost in this deluge of new models and variations

- Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
    06-04-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD