I have been unable to get NFC to work with my first defective 9350 and my new functioning 9350. I've seen youtube videos of NFC working for the new bolds and the 9360, but I haven't seen any with the 9350 or 9370.

I was wondering if anyone else has succesfully used NFC with their 9350 or 9370.

-Chris
    01-02-12 01:22 PM

Is it enabled on the phone?
    RIM doesnt even list NFC for the phone on their website.

do you have the option to turn it on in the connection manager?
    01-02-12 01:59 PM
    Yea I do have the option and it doesn't work when it's on.

It's strange because all the nfc menu and settings on my phone are identical to those on the bold and 9360. Plus they advertise NFC capabilities in the sprint manual for the phone.

-Chris
    01-02-12 02:53 PM
    Yea I do have the option and it doesn't work when it's on.

It's strange because all the nfc menu and settings on my phone are identical to those on the bold and 9360. Plus they advertise NFC capabilities in the sprint manual for the phone.

-Chris
    Exactly what are you trying to do with NFC? Use the smart tags application?
    01-02-12 05:27 PM
    Yes I want to use smart tags using the nfc technology if possible. I know I can scan barcodes using the camera, but I thought I could read them using nfc technology like shown here:

or at the end of this video

01-02-12 06:15 PM
    Yes I want to use smart tags using the nfc technology if possible. I know I can scan barcodes using the camera, but I thought I could read them using nfc technology like shown here:

or at the end of this video

Oh yes you can do that, you'll need NFC tags (can find them on ebay) and you'll need to program them,

Another way through smart tags is to make our own smart tags.

For example, If I go to the smart tags application, press the blackberry key, then select create tag, I can create a smart tag.

Now its not as easy as it looks because in any OS prior to 7.1 we have to manually input the "code"

After you select "Create tag" you'll see 2 boxes, the first box is the description box, basically you just label your smart tag so you know what it does, second is where you input the code

For example, lets say I wanted to create a smart tag that would allow me to send a text message to a particular number I would write sms:1234567890

*1234567890 Is a random number, that is where you will input your number,

CASE: Lets say my friend wants to send an SMS to John through NFC for whatever reason. Lets say John's phone number is 416 000 0000. My NFC smart tag should be written like this, Description is anything, say "Text John" and in the second box the URL field, I would write sms:4160000000. When my friend says he wants to text John, both phones should have NFC turned on, I would open up my smart tags application, my tags will all be listed, I select on the smart tag I want, in this case its the "Text John" tag we made, then we hold the phones back to back, depending on the security settings we may get prompts saying "Do you want to text John etc" accept and then the other phone will automatically go to the SMS application and will address a message to John, then my friend can go about it normally by typing out that sms he wanted to type out.

In case this caused any confusion, here is a link directly from BlackBerry (RIM)

01-02-12 07:43 PM
    I'm a little confussed about this lol.why would you want to text someone rite beside you? I mean you have to put the phones back to back before you can text each other! Or call them. I'm sure I'm just don't understand how it works.
    01-02-12 08:44 PM
    I'm a little confussed about this lol.why would you want to text someone rite beside you? I mean you have to put the phones back to back before you can text each other! Or call them. I'm sure I'm just don't understand how it works.
    I just used the texting as an example, you can also set it up to go to a webpage, or call a specific number etc, with some programmable NFC tags, you can set them to lock the phone, activate the speaker phone, activate the camera, mobile payments etc.
    01-02-12 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD