Okay I feel so dumb but I dont know what im doing wrong. I am following the directions exactly. i currently have v 4.5.0.81 on my blackberry. I downloaded the os and installed. deleted the vendor file. ran the Loader.exe file and it seems to be updating but when its done nothing seems to have changed. i took out my memory card thinking it might be something to do with that but when i ran everything again still nothing. i have a 8320 with tmobile if that matters.

Can anybody help
    07-24-09 07:55 PM
    I am running 4.5.0.163 (Platform 2.7.0.92). Is this worth the upgrade. Anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks
    07-24-09 08:14 PM
    Okay I feel so dumb but I dont know what im doing wrong. I am following the directions exactly. i currently have v 4.5.0.81 on my blackberry. I downloaded the os and installed. deleted the vendor file. ran the Loader.exe file and it seems to be updating but when its done nothing seems to have changed. i took out my memory card thinking it might be something to do with that but when i ran everything again still nothing. i have a 8320 with tmobile if that matters.

Can anybody help
    From your main screen, hold the alt key, and press E, A, C, E. You'll have the info on what OS is loaded, along with much more.
    07-24-09 09:51 PM
    Software For BlackBerry� Curve (TM) 8320 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.255 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.5.0.255
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.5.0.162
    Software Platform: 2.7.0.103
    File name: 8320EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel255_PL2.7.0.103_A4.5.0.16 2_Vodafone_Essar_Limited.exe
    File size: 88.77MB
    Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download Software
    07-25-09 09:32 AM
    that is the download info i see and i download that file and its just the desktop software...is this not the corret download?
    07-25-09 09:33 AM
    that is the download info i see and i download that file and its just the desktop software...is this not the corret download?
    The file you downloaded should have this name:

8320EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel255_PL2.7.0.103_A4.5.0.16 2_Vodafone_Essar_Limited.exe
    07-25-09 10:50 AM
    Ok, I just went through the entire thing, and verified after installing. The download is the correct software, so since a picture tells a thousand words, here's 8,000 to help you out:

Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-25-09 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Darn it, forgot select agree on the download
    07-25-09 10:51 AM
    Nice ABC's there BBW.
    07-25-09 10:57 AM
    awesome write up, i see where i was going wrong....i havent deleted the vendor xml file and was letting the desktop start up. so where is vendor.xml found at?
    07-25-09 12:58 PM
    Run a search on your PC, and delete any it finds. That's the easiest way.
    07-25-09 01:13 PM

Can anybody help
    anybody know what i might be doing wrong?
    07-25-09 08:23 PM
    From your main screen, hold the alt key, and press E, A, C, E. You'll have the info on what OS is loaded, along with much more.
    anybody know what i might be doing wrong?

Did you try this, to confirm you don't have the new OS installed?
    07-25-09 08:53 PM
    what if i forgot to the delete "vendor.xml" what will happen? im upgrading from platform2.7.0.78, can i still delete "vendor.xml" ?
    07-28-09 04:12 AM
    what if i forgot to the delete "vendor.xml" what will happen? im upgrading from platform2.7.0.78, can i still delete "vendor.xml" ?
    Nothing will happen till you delete the vendor code.
    07-28-09 04:21 AM
    so it wont install?

so i have to uninstall the DM and install it again and dl the OS again right?
    07-28-09 12:27 PM
    No. Just locate and delete vendor.xml, and it should install.
    07-28-09 01:54 PM
    after i installed os4.5.0 to dm5.0 i clicked finished but i checked the box that said "open desktop manager" then i went here to crackberry to see if i did it right, i guess not cause im not suppose to check that box, but i did, so after that, i went to search for "vendor.xml" and its nowhere to be found, i see my files as alx/axl or w/e.....
    07-28-09 04:19 PM
    after i installed os4.5.0 to dm5.0 i clicked finished but i checked the box that said "open desktop manager" then i went here to crackberry to see if i did it right, i guess not cause im not suppose to check that box, but i did, so after that, i went to search for "vendor.xml" and its nowhere to be found, i see my files as alx/axl or w/e.....
    I think your confusing some things. You download your OS, and install it on your PC. Then I think what you're talking about is CrackMem and the button to open Desktop Manager. Before you do that, select the OS and confirm. It will appear blue below the list. Then at a minimum would be having it delete the vendor.xml file. Personally I check everything off. Once you make your selections press execute, then it will give you a popup that it's complete. Then press the button for Desktop Manager, and the install process should begin automatically. I've had little success with version 5.0, but great success with 4.5/4.6 to execute an OS installation. When it starts, and if it doesn't press the Application Loader button, go through the check list that will come up after it initializes. Make sure what you want is installing and what you don't is not. Then hit the next button, and your installation will start. Do not interupt the process till it tells you it's complete. Don't even breath on your device. It will turn on and off several times while the process is executed. When it tells you it's complete, your device should restart one more time and then be operational.

The dog is done walking, and G_d willing I didn't miss anything. Pipe in if I did wnm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 06:57 PM
    Ok, it seems there are quite a few people who don't know exactly how to upgrade their OS.

My question is for the people that DO know. I would like to know about the upgrade itself. How is battery life? Better? Ringtones? Are they louder? Do things run any snappier? Any crappier? Thank you!
    07-28-09 09:04 PM
    What is the newest OS I can install on a Verizon Curve 8330...and is there a way to install it using a Mac without adding Windows and BBDTM? PocketMac is out of the question...it's horrible.
    07-28-09 09:25 PM
    I'm running this on a BB 8320 that's unlocked from tmobile! And so far so good! I'm also running BBB 5.0 with no issues as of yet!!!

07-28-09 11:10 PM
    bATTERY LIFE SUCKS DONT INSTALL THIS
    Last edited by jwomack; 08-03-09 at 10:54 AM.
    07-28-09 11:13 PM
    I think your confusing some things. You download your OS, and install it on your PC. Then I think what you're talking about is CrackMem and the button to open Desktop Manager. Before you do that, select the OS and confirm. It will appear blue below the list. Then at a minimum would be having it delete the vendor.xml file. Personally I check everything off. Once you make your selections press execute, then it will give you a popup that it's complete. Then press the button for Desktop Manager, and the install process should begin automatically. I've had little success with version 5.0, but great success with 4.5/4.6 to execute an OS installation. When it starts, and if it doesn't press the Application Loader button, go through the check list that will come up after it initializes. Make sure what you want is installing and what you don't is not. Then hit the next button, and your installation will start. Do not interupt the process till it tells you it's complete. Don't even breath on your device. It will turn on and off several times while the process is executed. When it tells you it's complete, your device should restart one more time and then be operational.

The dog is done walking, and G_d willing I didn't miss anything. Pipe in if I did wnm.

BBW,

By Jove, I think you've got it. I totally agree with using DM 4.6. Also, while CrackMem seems to simplify the process of starting DM and doing the update, I found on my last 3 updates that it is better to take some extra time and do things manually. After running CrackMem, I exit the program and do the update using the stand alone App Loader program.

On another note, Vista may require administrator rights to run the CrackMem/DM combo, and sometimes Vista doesn't remind you. DM just sits there staring at you stupidly.
    07-29-09 06:46 AM
    Ok, it seems there are quite a few people who don't know exactly how to upgrade their OS.

My question is for the people that DO know. I would like to know about the upgrade itself. How is battery life? Better? Ringtones? Are they louder? Do things run any snappier? Any crappier? Thank you!
    What OS are you currently running?

Battery life will be more a factor of what apps are always running and how much data time you use. I charge my BB every night. While on vacation I was running Phillies MLB with a 30 second refresh for an entire game and would still get a days worth of use from my BB.

I don't get the problem with ringtone volume. My seem pretty load, and according to my wife I pretty hard of hearing.

I do think things run a little faster.

The biggest improvement is WiFi/UMA. I now pick up WiFi where even my laptop doesn't find it.
    07-29-09 06:50 AM
    BBW,

By Jove, I think you've got it. I totally agree with using DM 4.6. Also, while CrackMem seems to simplify the process of starting DM and doing the update, I found on my last 3 updates that it is better to take some extra time and do things manually. After running CrackMem, I exit the program and do the update using the stand alone App Loader program.

On another note, Vista may require administrator rights to run the CrackMem/DM combo, and sometimes Vista doesn't remind you. DM just sits there staring at you stupidly.
    I think I've got all that covered here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/upgrade-guide-8100-step-step-z-188139/

And I welcome any input you might have.

07-29-09 06:52 AM
228 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD