snakester9 figured it out earlier. Read thru the earlier posts by him. Apparently the newer DMs create a hidden VENDER.XML

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 09:36 AM
    Where can we find and delete this hidden VENDER.XML file?
    08-04-09 10:43 AM
    Try this.

Got it figured out! If anyone else has the same problem as me and has had 4.7 DM or above installed at some point in time, take a look at this thread:

forums.crackberry.com/f135/why-won-t-my-os-update-i-deleted-vendor-xml-file-120048/

and that should solve all your problems. The autoupdater built into the DM software is sneaky, and it puts a separate vendor.xml in a hidden folder on your hard drive. Once I got rid of the second "virtual" vendor.xml file, my berry was more than happy to go to .138!

Kinda hard to find the info cuz it was in the Storm forum, but I figured I'd give it a shot and it worked! Sorry about the plaintext link, when I tried to linkify it it threw some random garbage in the URL and wouldn't let the page load.
    Last edited by Onael; 08-04-09 at 05:18 PM.
    08-04-09 10:52 AM
    Where can we find and delete this hidden VENDER.XML file?

Unfortunately I didn't think to look where it was before I deleted it. I was just so darned happy I figured out what was wrong that I just deleted it.

Just search your computer (advanced search under vista) and make sure you check to search hidden files and folders, for vendor.xml Make sure it's actually in a Research in Motion folder (a few other apps on my computer used vendor.xml files that were unrelated to BB) and delete it. Uninstall BB Desktop Manager, and when you reinstall it MAKE SURE to NOT install the auto updater. Reinstall the OS, if you can disconnect from the internet before you run DM, and if all's gone well you should be told that an update is available for your phone.
    08-05-09 12:57 AM
    I downloaded this 4.5 software update last night. All is well, and the phone is running a bit smoother/quicker. However, there is one problem -- the "alt" and enter keys no longer lock my phone

Any ideas on how to get this trusty shortcut back? I've already accidentally called my gf this morning, and left her a loud/static-filled message )
    Thanks!
    08-05-09 10:33 AM
    I would just like to thank everyone for all their hard work and information. I am set to upgrade the OS from .131 to .160 on my Sprint 8330m tonight. With all the information you guys provided I am hoping/expecting a smooth transition .

Thanks again!
    08-05-09 02:45 PM
    I downloaded this 4.5 software update last night. All is well, and the phone is running a bit smoother/quicker. However, there is one problem -- the "alt" and enter keys no longer lock my phone

Any ideas on how to get this trusty shortcut back? I've already accidentally called my gf this morning, and left her a loud/static-filled message )
    Thanks!
    I never used that feature (I've got a magnetic holster) but if it works as you described it may be a bug in .160. If I hit ALT+ENTER on the home screen (I use bottom dock btw) it boots the program I have the cursor over, however if I bring up the full icon list with the BB button, and then hit ALT+ENTER, it locks the phone.
    08-07-09 01:11 AM
    I've been running .160 on my 8330m now for about a week. It's running great except the GPS. I could get a lock in about a minute but then it won't keep the lock. It keeps dropping and locking and then dropping again. I installed Garmin again since that fixed it last time but it didn't seem to help the problem on .160.

Anyone having the same problem?
    08-08-09 12:04 AM
    How Can I Debrand 8330M ?

08-10-09 04:42 AM
    I've also been having GPS issues from the start with my USCC 8330m I got as a replacement for my old 8330. It was preloaded with .138 and takes FOREVER to get a GPS lock and keeps dropping it. Anyone have any experience with making a hybrid os to switch out GPS firmware stuff?? Can you even do that??
    08-11-09 06:43 PM
    just thought id share with everyone that i called sprint today to find out picture mail and i found out that the 8330m is alost different from the 8330 cuz it can recieve picture mail , so i decided to to a lil experiment . i was running the 4.5.0.160 for the 8330 , i copied the java files from the 4.5.0.138 for the 8330m ...... and re loaded back the OS using the app loader , now i know ud technically be downgrading your phone BUT you can now recieve picture mail , when u get the link instead of seeing that stupid message about ur cookies being disabled , you ACTUALLY SEE THE PICTURE !!!!! so far its runnin great , the only think is now is to find out what files i need to get back the call timer cuz it gone ( only sad thing ) but hey its a step in the right direction , just thought i share
    08-11-09 06:54 PM
    should i even bother downloading?
    08-12-09 05:31 PM
    I am going to give my 8330m a week to see what I need to do...
    08-22-09 07:34 PM
188 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD