I installed it on my Sprint 8330 last night. It took about 7-8 tries to get it to download, but the install went without a hitch. The new .138 cured one of my main beefs - and that was the delay when coming out of sleep mode. It used to be that there was an annoying 1-2 second delay when I would press the trackball or power key after it was sleeping, and now there is *instant on.* Makes the phone seem a lot more responsive, IMO. Seems like there is less delay with the trackball too. Other that that I have not noticed any differences, and the data throughput seems the same (according to mobilespeedtest.com, etc.)
    BY THE WAY: mine is a 8330 (not the 8330m)
    Are you sure? Because this update won't function on a non-m... the meid model radios are different than the esn model radios...

If your about and status screens match the highlighted sections below... you've actually got an 8330m
    04-21-09 01:53 AM
    Has anyone actually found a reason to update to this version? I updated my 8330m and don't notice a difference between .131 and .138.

What does .138 add to .131?
    04-23-09 11:20 AM
    I upgraded mine last night, no problems. Seems to be running a little faster so far (my BB)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 04:54 PM
    will this correct the signal jumping all over the place problem. I tried to put it in the phone but the DM said I had no blackberry software downloaded.
    04-28-09 12:44 AM
    Just finished upgrade....will be testing to see if any improvements....

04-28-09 07:54 PM
    I have an 8320 (T-Mobile) and my wife has the new curve 8900. I logged into her profile and downloaded the v4.6.1.114 OS from the T-Mobile site. Has anyone tried to upgrade their curve to this OS? I recently updated the OS for my 8320 to v4.5.0.81.
    04-28-09 09:39 PM
    Is this d/l for me ?

8330 Curve by Sprint OS = V4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.0.73)

Also when will the official update be ready to download & install OTA ?
    04-28-09 10:08 PM
    Is this d/l for me ?

8330 Curve by Sprint OS = V4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.0.73)

Also when will the official update be ready to download & install OTA ?
    press #4357* SEND if it talks about an MEID# this is for you(and you would have a 8330m).. if it says something about ESN# you have an 8330, and the other .138 sticky is for you.
    04-28-09 10:28 PM
    I did the upgrade yesterday to 4.5.0.138 on my 8330m and I seem to be having issues viewing pages on the internet now.

It looks like the style sheets setting is having some issues. With the style sheets disabled I am able to view pages but with our the graphics (looks like a standard WAP page) when the style sheets are enabled some pages will not load, pages that do load will not have links working properly, banners and other large graphics will start to load but will not fully load and look fuzzy.

I can not load the Mobile Gmail App

I can not find the Sprint Navigation app to load.

Has anyone had these issues? I did the update again and am still having problems.

Does anyone have a link to the .131 OS I am thinking of loading that back in the phone and then trying the .138 again

Any help will be much appreciated.
    04-29-09 09:33 AM
    ok, on my "About" screen, it just says 8330.

on my "status" screen, it says MEID.

is this the upgrade for my curve??
    04-29-09 10:52 AM
    Just want to verify that my Sprint Curve is compatible with this upgrade.
    Has anyone seen any noticable changes when they upgraded?
    Is this an upgrade to v4.5.0.138 or v4.5.0.205?

my Options --> About:

BlackBerry 8330m
    smartphone (CDMA)
    v4.5.0.131 (Platform 3.4.0.25)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Onael; 05-01-09 at 02:07 AM.
    05-01-09 01:55 AM
    Just want to verify that my Sprint Curve is compatible with this upgrade.
    Has anyone seen any noticable changes when they upgraded?
    Is this an upgrade to v4.5.0.138 or v4.5.0.205?

my Options --> About:

BlackBerry 8330m
    smartphone (CDMA)
    v4.5.0.131 (Platform 3.4.0.25)

Thanks in advance.
    You can install this OS on any carriers 8330m you just have to delete the vendor.xml file.

This OS is supposed to have fixed the backlight lag and the answer call lag.

This same build is also available for the ESN based 8330 and some people have had issues with the RF constantly switching from 1x to 1xev to 1XEV and the on screen call timer is missing.

This is an upgrade to 4.5.0.138.

05-01-09 03:05 AM
    You can install this OS on any carriers 8330m you just have to delete the vendor.xml file.

This OS is supposed to have fixed the backlight lag and the answer call lag.

This same build is also available for the ESN based 8330 and some people have had issues with the RF constantly switching from 1x to 1xev to 1XEV and the on screen call timer is missing.

This is an upgrade to 4.5.0.138.

word.

Thanks for the informative reply.
    05-01-09 03:07 AM
    just posting to get my post to 10 so can pm
    05-01-09 01:31 PM
    my question is this will I need to do anything once the update is finished ? it is running now im about 20 min into it just want to make sure I dont miss any steps I want everything to work as before thanks for any replies in advance.

LOL sorry about typo in the title, im so wetoddid

Well as I was afraid of I have lost all my apps that have been added purchased and free, I did a backup before I started the update so I ran restore and used my last update al it seemed to resore was some settings my background pic and my address book I need help getting those apps back thanks.
    Last edited by hdkilner; 05-11-09 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
    05-11-09 12:52 PM
    If you didn't back up your third part apps separately before the upgrade then I'm afraid you've lost them

Hopefully you saved the emails you received when you purchased the apps with the activation keys and you can just re-download them. If not you can log in to your account at the app stores you purchased them from and get your activation keys.

The free apps are easy just re-download them

A few things to do after a upgrade are to register in options/advanced options/host routing table press menu and select register now, from your email setup icon select service books then send service books, and a battery pull.

05-11-09 01:31 PM
    [QUOTE=paultyler_82;2339759]Are you sure? Because this update won't function on a non-m... the meid model radios are different than the esn model radios...

I have a new Verizon 8330 with MEIDs and it is not an "m". The "m" software will not load on my phone (I tried the USSC 138m and Sprint 131m) but the Telus 138 for ESN phones loads and functions just fine. So the MEID 8330s from Verizon must be acting as ESN phones as far as the software is concerned.

Has anyone else found this to be true?
    05-18-09 08:42 PM
    plan9z, there have been a few members who have had similar experiences to yours.

05-18-09 08:55 PM
    im slightly cautious of upgrading my OS, but im rather sick of the radio issue after data usage. can anyone definately say that after this update they dont lose their signal directly after using data? and/or the 1X after texting?
    05-19-09 12:42 PM
    [QUOTE=plan9z;2589780]
    Are you sure? Because this update won't function on a non-m... the meid model radios are different than the esn model radios...

I have a new Verizon 8330 with MEIDs and it is not an "m". The "m" software will not load on my phone (I tried the USSC 138m and Sprint 131m) but the Telus 138 for ESN phones loads and functions just fine. So the MEID 8330s from Verizon must be acting as ESN phones as far as the software is concerned.

Has anyone else found this to be true?
    I have the same issue. I have a new VZW 8330 with an MEID but when looking in options/about it states 8330 w/NO "M". I installed the sprint .131 update and haven't had any major problems. My only problem is it reboot's occasionally every day. I don't know why. So, I still don't know which update is appropriate for my phone? Can anybody tune me up? I'm so confused reading this entire thread. Help?? Please??
    05-20-09 07:55 PM
    Has anyone experienced problems with this new Curve 8330M from Sprint not displaying web images in color? I recently deployed 7 new Curve 8330M's in my organization and web pages do not appear in color? Text and links are in color, images are not. I was on the phone with Blackberry technical support for 1 hour and despite several different re-sets, we could not get this to work. It's only an issue with 8330M, software release 4.5.0.131, and they had never heard of this issue. My Sprint curve 8330 is also running this same sw release and doesn't have this issue? Any suggestions out there?
    05-22-09 10:31 AM
    I have the Sprint 8330m (OS 4.5.0.131) and my web pages come up normal.
    They look just like they do on the computer.
    I found this somewhere and is what I did, maybe it will help!
    >>>>Browser Settings: Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save. <<<<
    05-22-09 04:16 PM
    well i went for the update and all went well. regarding what i said earlier, i can confirm that this update fixed the issue where the signal would drop to nothing for a second after data usage. i still have the bug where it goes from 1XEV to 1X after sending a text. but im rather happy the signal issue is gone!
    05-23-09 10:30 PM
    Just did the update on mine, all went perfect thanks to the guide here.

I figured I'd try it now while it was still fairly new and not loaded with tons of stuff, in case it messed up.

I did the backup in case, but did not do the backup of the apps this time, as I have only a few. None of them were affected, though I did need to set Sprint GPS by entering some info, like when I first used the phone. I guess those settings would have been saved had I backed the apps up?

Are some apps wiped while doing an upgrade? After looking through this thread it seems some folks lost things, even though their upgrade went smooth.

**EDIT**
    ..and as for performance, it seems to be quite a bit quicker. I was noticing some 'lag' (for lack of a better word) when moving around icons on the desk top, but that seems to be gone now.
    Last edited by Jim W; 05-24-09 at 10:33 PM.
    05-24-09 10:25 PM
    Ok since ppl still seem to be confused about the difference in the 8330 and the 8330m... the 8330 is a normal esn... the 8330m has an MEID (which has been explained) a quick check is if you go to options and status... under DEC does it stat with a "268"

The difference... there were hardware issues with alot or the 8330's that originally were released so they pulled them off the market while RIM changed some of the circuitry in them and tried to enable the wireless update (still does not work quite right) they loaded the same software as the first 8330.... They have recently discovered that these devices with the MEID's do not always allow you to load applications onto the device.. .it tells you that nothing is compatible and some features that you have with BES servers do not always function.

I am not saying this is every device just a majority or them.

hope that answers the questions
    05-27-09 10:55 PM
188 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD