I recently got 8520 curve

I am trying to do the following things.. but no success

1) theme installation- using desktop manager when i try to install jad file i get error that file is not compatible with your device.
    Can anybody help me with a working link and steps to install theme using desktop manager or memory card installation as i dnt have data plan.

2) I need oxford english dictionary- installed one but when i try to type any letter for example A it brings the selection to next line instead of typing A. keyboard layout problem.
    pls. let me know how to fix it or if possible pls. provide the link for compatible version.

3) Wifi- I am able to connect to wifi. but when i try to open website using browser it does not use wifi, it uses data option and deducts money. If i close data plan option then i get error that radio or data plan is off hence wifi won't work.

pls. suggest how can i get rid of this problem; tried everything but no success.

Your help on the said matter would be highly appreciated
    Last edited by vishal11in; 06-10-10 at 06:22 AM.
    06-10-10 05:56 AM
    with the theme,I think you should use .alx instead of .jad
    06-10-10 06:02 AM
    Theme - put files and jad in a folder on your SD. Use file manager to access jad, and the theme will install.

Dictionary - I use Dictionary.com's. It's free and it works.

WiFi - if set right it should autimatically connect. Since you are able to, I suspect an OS issue. There's a WiFi forum you can look at. Great sticky at the top.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 06:12 AM
    Theme - put files and jad in a folder on your SD. Use file manager to access jad, and the theme will install.

Dictionary - I use Dictionary.com's. It's free and it works.

WiFi - if set right it should autimatically connect. Since you are able to, I suspect an OS issue. There's a WiFi forum you can look at. Great sticky at the top.

I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

thanks.

I guess dictionary.com need you to be connected to internet since i do not have data plan it would not be a good option for me.
    Can you suggest any other option for the same.

i will try the theme suggestion of yours and update the thread accordingly.

As far as wifi is concerned will check the thread
    06-10-10 06:18 AM
    with the theme,I think you should use .alx instead of .jad
    Tried one .alx file but got the same error.
    can you provide me with a link to try the same.
    06-10-10 06:20 AM
    Dictionary.com is available through AppWorld, so you should be able to get it. You'll need to be on WiFi to use it though.

At CrackBerry, I bring good search to life.
    Click Here To Be Banned*If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

06-10-10 06:22 AM
    Dictionary.com is available through AppWorld, so you should be able to get it. You'll need to be on WiFi to use it though.

Click Here To Be Banned*If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

i am not connected to wifi most of times, any other option like jar file. i have one file which is around 5mb when i try to install it, i get error after some time that not enough memory.
    06-10-10 06:28 AM
    Trying to obtain and operate smartphone features on a BlackBerry w/o data, is difficult at best.

Click Here To Be Banned*
    Drive a PwnCakes Hybrid. It'll keep your Onyx purring.

06-10-10 06:36 AM
    Its sometimes best to DL themes using the OTA. Sometimes trying to use the .jad file or other files something are missing and the theme wont install completely, it may say it does but it still wont run. And also make sure the themes is compatiable with your phone model and OS system,,, (thats most important)

Welcome to CB vishal
    06-10-10 08:20 AM
    Its sometimes best to DL themes using the OTA. Sometimes trying to use the .jad file or other files something are missing and the theme wont install completely, it may say it does but it still wont run. And also make sure the themes is compatiable with your phone model and OS system,,, (thats most important)

Welcome to CB vishal
    OTA is going to be one heck of a trick, considering the OP has no data plan, and WiFi issues.

06-10-10 08:51 AM
    The problem here is that jad/alx files only work when you have the COD files for those.

Try OTALoader, you give it the jad's url and it will download all needed files for instalation. Then you put that into the SD and install.

If you turn Data off, you turn all data off. Bad place to put the option, I agree, makes people think it only turns the network data off. Set your browser to Hotspot and avoid apps that do not give you an option to connect using Wi-Fi at all costs (that leaves hmm.. 80% of the apps out?).

Good luck!
    06-10-10 09:12 AM
    The problem here is that jad/alx files only work when you have the COD files for those.

Try OTALoader, you give it the jad's url and it will download all needed files for instalation. Then you put that into the SD and install.

If you turn Data off, you turn all data off. Bad place to put the option, I agree, makes people think it only turns the network data off. Set your browser to Hotspot and avoid apps that do not give you an option to connect using Wi-Fi at all costs (that leaves hmm.. 80% of the apps out?).

Good luck!
    i only want to use wifi for net surfing on curve.
    06-11-10 01:58 AM
    I installed two new themes on my bb.
    Everything went fine as far as installation is concerned..but when i go to themes i do not see them threre.

Tried battery pull but no luck.
    pls. advise.
    06-12-10 12:53 AM
    i only want to use wifi for net surfing on curve.
    The previous answer still applies.

I installed two new themes on my bb.
    Everything went fine as far as installation is concerned..but when i go to themes i do not see them threre.

Tried battery pull but no luck.
    pls. advise.
    You must install themes considering:

- That they must be 8500 series themes;
    - That they are built for your OS (if you have 4.6.1, don't even try 5.0 themes.);

If they do not show under Options > Themes, you overlooked both things.

Check the Themes board, you'll find great themes (and most for both 4.6.1 and 5.0) there.
    06-12-10 09:18 AM
    I was just going throgh the Wifi how to guide and notice that the below mentioned step does not exist in my 8520 os 4.6.

Pls. advise as i have been struggling with wifi issue for the past 10 days.

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).

Also, Can some upload the picture of connected/active wifi connection.
    As my wifi shows the connection name and - mark instead of tick mark under the manage connection > wifi
    Last edited by vishal11in; 06-18-10 at 02:17 AM.
    06-18-10 02:10 AM
    if u can see you ssid beside your carrier name, means you already connected to your wifi. should be like this

carriername - wifissid

in manage connection, the wifi box will need to be tick if you want to enable wifi.
    06-18-10 02:33 AM
    if u can see you ssid beside your carrier name, means you already connected to your wifi. should be like this

carriername - wifissid

in manage connection, the wifi box will need to be tick if you want to enable wifi.
    Manage connection status

Tick mobile network on Tick mark
    Tick wifi Broadcom -
    unchecked bluetooth - status off

i am connected to wifi, it shows broadcom but there is no tick mark at the end like mobile connections has.
    06-18-10 03:24 AM
    Themes must be .alx or maybe download via ota...
    06-18-10 09:56 AM
    Themes must be .alx or maybe download via ota...
    i guess , you got it wrong, i am having wifi issue.
    06-18-10 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD