Hey guys,

I used to browse these forums a lot when I had my 8300 (did some OS upgrades and such), but when I got my 8900 I was so busy with school that I didn't have time to play around with my phone. ANYWAY, I was looking at some threads on OS 5.0 and all i can say is "wow" upgrading used to be easy haha, now there are programs such as BBSAK and I don't even know what it truly does.

ANYWAY, question is I'm on OS 4.6.1.114 and I want to upgrade to anything higher, preferably OS 5.0. I want something stable, I don't really care for the newest things. I only use my BB to text, make calls, media player, and for the calender, no internet, no wifi use (haha, I usually carry my laptop with me so I don't need anything else).

is there anyway I can download the software on my macbook and try to upgrade or does it have to be on a PC?

Do i really have to download BBSAK or other programs to upgrade or can I just use BBDM and deleting the vender files?

any help will be great! thanks
    06-09-10 02:07 AM
    I have a mac and was trying to upgrade my 8900 for the longest, and it wouldn't work - since the OS that you download to upgrade is usually in a .exe file, it can only be used with a PC. Also, everytime I tried to use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to back up my BB, it would wipe my phone and say "No OS detected" .. I got fed up trying to make it work with the mac and just gave in to using the PC computer we have in the office.

It's actually a piece of cake to do an upgrade .. I use OS 5.0.0.509 and I love it! It's not the latest, but it works amazing. Very smooth, very fast and a HUGE improvement from 4.6.

What to do: Download the 5.0.0.509 OS to your desktop on a PC (if you choose to use that OS, but any would be the same steps) .. Then plug in your BB to the computer, go to the folder of the OS on your computer (My Computer > C Drive > Program Files > Common Files > Research in Motion > Application) and then double click on "Loader" or "Application Loader" .. it will back up your BB and install the new OS all on it's own. No need to use that BBSAK or whatever, I don't even know what that is. The whole process of updating took about 15 mins ... Not including download time to the computer.
    06-09-10 03:42 AM
    thanks for the info!

I tried doing exactly what you said but I ran into a problem. I ran the Loader.exe and everything was going fine until I came to an application loader page that would not let me continue unless I selected to "add" an app. anybody know a fix?
    06-09-10 01:18 PM
    alright just installed OS 5.0.681
    06-09-10 02:47 PM
    Glad you got it going! lol sorry all late .. So how you liking the new OS?
    06-09-10 02:59 PM
    Glad you got it going! lol sorry all late .. So how you liking the new OS?
    Haha thanks man.

I love OS 5.0, its like a completely new phone to me, its a lot faster and I love the threaded SMS, I'll prob update again once I've used it for about a week but I haven't had any problems so far.

2 things do bother me though,

the top buttons don't work only the lock puts the phone to standby
    and
    I don't like how the LED indicator goes off after 15 min, I woke up to having 4 new texts but I didn't know until i actually checked my phone
    06-10-10 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD