Hi

I have just bought the 8900 (used) from eBay and I'm having a few setup problems.

First of all it is unlocked and I am using my own vodafone sim..

The first is that try as I might I simply cannot setup a blackberry email address. When I looked for help on the internet all the sites told me to select the 'setup email' option but, no option exists on my phone at all, and I've looked everywhere!

Secondly, when I first turned it on it asked me for a password. Now, I cannot get rid of it. Everytime the phone goes blank or I lock it I HAVE to enter the password again before I can use it.

I have been to the password section in options but the enabled/disabled option doesn't do anything. It certainly won't let me disable it.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by Darwinian; 06-05-10 at 10:39 AM.
    06-05-10 10:14 AM
    Hi

I have just bought the 8900 (used) from eBay and I'm having a few setup problems.

First of all it is unlocked and I am using my own vodafone sim..

The first is that try as I might I simply cannot setup a blackberry email address. When I looked for help on the internet all the sites told me to select the 'setup email' option but, no option exists on my phone at all, and I've looked everywhere!

Secondly, when I first turned it on it asked me for a password. Now, I cannot get rid of it. Everytime the phone goes blank or I lock it I HAVE to enter the password again before I can use it.

I have been to the password section in options but the enabled/disabled option doesn't do anything. It certainly won't let me disable it.

Any ideas??
    Sounds like the phone has some sort of IT policy, so you need to reset the phone to factory condition which will clear up the password issue and also show the email set-up option. You could also install a newer os 5.0, but you have to wipe the device completely first b4 installing new os. Here's instructions on os 5 installing:

Instructions for installing new os:

1. Back up all important info and any 3rd party apps from device using DM (info) & BBSAK (3rd party apps).

2. Uninstall previouse os from pc, then install newly downloaded os onto pc. (After installing you will be prompted to restart pc)

3. Delete vendor xml file in c: program files/ common files/ research in motion/apploader

4. Run BBSAK and connect device to pc. Wipe the device completely using BBSAK.

5. Wiping device will take about 2-5mins and device will initialize and show white screen which will say reload software 507.

6. Click reload os on BBSAK while phone is still connected, and follow reload or os install instructions.

7. Restore all backed up info and apps once os install is completed using DM & BBSAK.

Entire process should take no less than an hour depending on how much you have to back up and restore.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 11:52 AM
    That's great.. One question. How do I do #2?
    06-05-10 12:17 PM

Go to setup folder > setup wizard > Email setup
    06-05-10 12:20 PM
    I don't think you have any other Operating Systems installed on your PC.

Though to uninstall go to > my computer > look for uninstall or change a program ( usually located at the top of the Window ). Look for BlackBerry Device software and if you didn't find any, this means that you don't have any installed
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 06-05-10 at 12:28 PM.
    06-05-10 12:26 PM
    The only option that gives me is.. I want to use a work email with a Blackberry Enterprise Server".

Which is useless as all says is that I may be able to use a wifi based email address :S
    06-05-10 12:26 PM
    yeah it is useless.

Go for the Wipe
    06-05-10 12:50 PM
    If this is your first BB then chances are that you may not have an os installed on your pc. If that's the case download the latest os 5.0 from the 8900 sticky. Install in your computer and follow step #3 - #7. If there is already an os installed on the pc, then go to control panel, then to add/remove software and uninstall whatever os is on the pc and then install the newly downloaded os 5.0 and then follow step #3 - #7. Hope that helps. Good luck dude!

06-05-10 05:23 PM
    Find out your carrier's blackberry internet service site, like my carrier is Rogers and their site is, rogers.blackberry.com (no www.), and thats how I set up my email cause just like you, "I want to use a work email with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" is all I see in the setup wizard.

And when trying to disable a password, go to Options > Security Options, and select disabled then go back, and then it will ask you to enter the password in order to disable it. Or if you're on OS (operating system) 5, go to password and do the same.
    06-05-10 06:57 PM
    Many thanks everyone.. Still working through it but things are a bit better
    06-06-10 06:06 AM
    Many thanks everyone.. Still working through it but things are a bit better
    You're welcome dude!

06-06-10 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD