Does anyone know if there is any word about RIM actually releasing an official OTA OS update for the 8900? I tried 4 times to download .199 even after deleting the vendor file. I am even skeptical to install a beta OS anyways because I am not too knowledgable about repairing my defice if the beta nukes my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 03:23 PM
    It isn't really based on rim if they want to release the official os update. It depends on the carrier itself.

03-24-09 03:25 PM
    Really? Well T-Mobile blows in many ways so it will probably be a while then haha.

03-24-09 03:27 PM
    ive never had to delete the vendor file.... why do we need to do that?
    03-24-09 03:34 PM
    Oh dear.
    03-24-09 03:39 PM
    Oh dear.
    My sentiments exactly.

cheezz
    03-24-09 03:41 PM
    My sentiments exactly.

cheezz
    When I say that I'm not belittling anyone...its just...funny?

Anyhoo...

Carry on.
    03-24-09 03:44 PM
    ive never had to delete the vendor file.... why do we need to do that?
    It is required anytime you load an OS released by a carrier other than your own on the BB.
    03-24-09 03:47 PM
    Really? Well T-Mobile blows in many ways so it will probably be a while then haha.

I have .168 on my phone and it works well with tmobile. but i will only up grade as per RIM's release of OS's.
    03-24-09 03:49 PM
    It isn't really based on rim if they want to release the official os update. It depends on the carrier itself.

There are official RIM OS releases that aren't yet approved by the carrier, but they ARE official releases

03-24-09 05:16 PM
    I'm just wondering if anyone really reads Kevin's Blogs about the new releases of OS's... or looks at the top sticky on the forum... and finally in the BETA OS forum.
    03-24-09 05:20 PM
    A beta OS usually (not always) has a null Vendor.xml file that will just install on any phone that it is intended for. I always delete it anyway.

I have posted the text below twice already today but I'll stick it up here to in case it helps anyone. If you have already seen it, please ignore it and move right along.

Many new members seem a little confused as to what they should do to upgrade their BlackBerry's Operating System (OS). Here’s what I do to upgrade my OS.

PC PREPARATION
    • Download the OS to my PC
    • Whilst it is downloading I remove any old OSs from my PC
    • Make sure that CrackMem is installed (link in my signature), it's free
    • Make sure that Desktop Manager 4.6 with no media manager is installed from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22. I have deleted 4.7 and will not use it
    PHONE PREPARATION
    • Connect my phone to the PC and sync to Outlook using Desktop Manager. This gives me a human readable copy of my valuable personal data.
      DO NOT miss out this step
    • Disconnect the phone from the PC
    INSTALLATION
    • Install the new OS on my PC
    • Use CrackMem to remove the vendor.xml file and any other modules that I do not want on my phone.
    • Run Desktop Manager
    • Connect my phone
    • Allow the upgrade to proceed automatically.
    • Ignore the interminable period when nothing happens. I know why it happens and it is OK. Just wait.
    • Wait until the upgrade and the Restore have completed.
    FINISH UP
    • Set any Permissions that are required (AutoStandBy for example)
    • Reset my Profiles (annoying, but it happens every time).
    • Breathe a sigh of relief and check my File Free and start using my phone
    • Post on CrackBerry to say that the upgrade is initially god/bad/whatever.
    03-24-09 05:38 PM
    Ah! That's why .174 worked when I forgot to delete the vendor file! And here I thought CrackMem had done it automatically.

03-24-09 05:49 PM
    Ah! That's why .174 worked when I forgot to delete the vendor file! And here I thought CrackMem had done it automatically.

Nah, you gotta press da button.
    03-24-09 05:51 PM
    .174 worked because the vendor xml was there but just didn't contain any data. So essentially it was like the file didn't exist.
    03-24-09 06:05 PM
    I have 168 no problems with it at all. I heard 199 is out but I haven't tried it yet I haven't really seen feedback for it.

03-24-09 06:22 PM
    This is my first exposure to Crackmem. Very cool indeed. So you dl it and when you dl/install an OS you somehow delete stuff from it before you plugin the phone? How do you get Crackmem to communicate with the OS? I'd actually like to delete the stock wallpapers/pix and stuff but I've never been comfortable messing around inside the OS guts.
    03-24-09 06:27 PM
    CrackMem safely removes things from the OS files for you so you don't accidentally remove the wrong thing and screw up your phone. Pete really did an awesome job with the app and it is great.
    03-24-09 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD