I got a curve 8530 3 days ago. My first question is how can I turn off the keyboard from lighting up, when the device screen is on. I don't want the keyboard light to turn on when I'm using the device because it wastes battery.

And my second and most important question is, why is the battery life so poor? My curve battery get's me through one day, and all I do is SMS, facebook, and IM. I don't use it 24/7 during the day either. I've had to charge it every night! Do I have to give the battery time to be "broken in"?
    06-06-10 08:12 AM
    Set how long backlighting remains on
    1. On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.
    2. Click Screen/Keyboard.
    3. Set the Backlight Timeout field.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save
    06-06-10 08:17 AM
    Yes, theres a good thread by the admins on here about the new 8530 batteries. Also, make sure that the wifi app is turned off when not in use; other wise this will kill the battery quickly. I had the same problem with mine in the beginning, and it also depends on how much you're using it. I use mine a lot and usually have to charge it almost every night sometimes every other.
    06-06-10 08:19 AM
    Congrats on your new purchase!

As for the keyboard back light - I do not believe you can turn that off, nor would you see significant battery increase by being able to do so.

For the battery - after a little while the life will increase, that is true. The batteries don't last as long as they did on previous models. Getting through the entire day is pretty good, and charging it at night is not a bad thing. Topping the battery off instead of letting it die is always the best option for your device.

One great thing about the BB battery - you can never over charge it!
    06-06-10 08:20 AM
    Thank you! That is good news, that you can never over charge the battery!
    06-06-10 08:43 AM
    I got a curve 8530 3 days ago. My first question is how can I turn off the keyboard from lighting up, when the device screen is on. I don't want the keyboard light to turn on when I'm using the device because it wastes battery.

And my second and most important question is, why is the battery life so poor? My curve battery get's me through one day, and all I do is SMS, facebook, and IM. I don't use it 24/7 during the day either. I've had to charge it every night! Do I have to give the battery time to be "broken in"?
    Making sure to close out each time helps with the battery too. I have
    Quick Pull which is a soft battery pull app without pulling a physical
    battery pull. But I try to do that too a couple times a month
    Cleaning the cache memory regularly and the event log too also
    helps with battery life. I get almost two days But I also don't
    mind having to chrg up the BB. I don't know why that is such an issue
    It is a phone. It will need to be charged and your use determines it
    Enjoy your BB. Check out the tips on this site your battery life
    WILL increase with use as well. Welcome to BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 08:26 PM
    While I realize the patience required might be difficult for new BB users (I know it was for me!), I found that breaking it in "correctly" really helped my battery and its ability to hold a charge. I fully charged it, and then used it and let it run down COMPLETELY. I repeated this a couple times, and now my battery is holding a charge all day and into the evening with plenty of reserve, instead of it dropping to 60% by noon. BB batteries & shoes - break them in right and you'll be a happy camper.
    06-07-10 08:27 AM
    Well put Papa, But i would suggest doing that at least 3 times,, draining it completley till it wont turn on and then keeping it off while you charge it. You will find that it will bring the battery to life quite dramatically. I dont do facebook (pretty stupid if you ask me) but adjust your back light timer and how long your phone stays on after your done using it. My battery will last up to 72 hours with minimal taklking and texting..
    06-07-10 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD