Hi, I just recently left NYC and have used a windows based phone on verizon (samsung i-760) through my company. i think the phone is discontinued but was not a horrible phone, very versatile. I previously used a treo wx, and loved the QWERTY keyboard that was always in plain sight.

I would like to switch over to the blackberry world, i am now in san diego. I was waiting for the bold, but the problem I have is ATT has one to zero bars of coverage at my home. So i am once again forced to verizon who has great call quality here, and i don't think i like the storm. I want a keyboard available 24/7...

so here is my question currently verizon offers the 8330, 8830 as well as the 8703....im not sure if i should just get a cheap phone and pray that the new curve 8900 drops soon ? alhtough praying hasnt helped much in the past :P...here is whats important to me on the phone

1. i loved google maps on my windows based device, and being new to the san diego area i think this is key...does verizon offer the GPS unlocked ? and is google maps available for these devices ? how does it compare to the windows mobile version.

1.5 battery life, my wm6 device dischagred by 9pm on a workday, i have had coworkers with older blackberries who said they didnt charge their phone for 2 to 3 days...battery life is key and one of the reasons im staying away from the storm.

2. I use AIM and MYSPACE....both have mobile versions (m.myspace.com) and (ebuddy) i know recently myspace has released blackberry software any comments, i tried the myspace app on the iphone and its sexy. how does BB compare ? and is AIM push enabled or even available , i always had the problem of having aim turn off one me during phone calls or high memory usages on the WM6 device. i would like aim to be always one with minimal battery drain if possible. otherwise theres always ebuddy

3. I would like to use it as a mp3 player i dont need a huge ammount of space, but my ipod broke during my transition to California. but would be great for the gym. ALSO its not a deal breaker but do these allow MP3 ringtones ?

4. I use wikiepdia quite a bit to look up fun facts during arguments on the road, in the bar.. anywhere away from the office. Im pretty sure wiki has a mobile enabled site and this shouldn't be a problem ??? The web experience i understand isnt as desirable on these phones compared to the bold or the storm ? but can i access most sites ? any comments ? and are these phones 3G ? i understand verizon uses a EVDO network but the storm claims to be 3G? I also hear opera mini is what i should be using ?

5. I read news sites also on the road, CNN and RSS feads...i guess i could use googles mobile reader for RSS ?

6. my WM6 device tethered free of charge to my laptop via bluetooth or usb, this also isnt a deal breaker but would be great if it worked on the blackberry.

7. youtube has been a great feature i discovered on the iphone and bold, do these older devices has any type of support ?

I have purchased a iphone and a bold to play with and the iphone is just a toy, the bold is a very sexy phone and if it was available on verizon my life would be simple. I am bringing both back today as i said ATT just doesnt have service where i live in north san diego. Any and all input would be great, im basically trying to decide between the devices verizon has they seem to be pretty similar and it really seems to be between the 8330 and the 8830... PLEASE HELP

thanks in advance
    12-02-08 12:21 PM
    I would go with the 8330 Curve...
    12-02-08 12:44 PM
    I love my CURVE.. I vote for the 8330.
    12-02-08 12:50 PM
    I'd go with a Curve 8330. The reason is because the 8830 to me feels too clunky. The keys are hard to read and spaced too closely together. I played with one of my co-workers ones yesterday and was reminded why I didn't get it. The 8830 just feels bulkier and took big and heavy compared to my curve. Plus the Curve has a camera and more memory IIRC.

Besides all that there is the new version of the 8830 coming soon, well Q1-Q2 of 2009 so maybe you would want to wait if you're considering the 8830. The curve still is a fantastic phone though.
    12-02-08 01:13 PM
    The 8330 is great. Why not try them out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 01:18 PM
    the only advantage i see with the 8830 is that it's a gloabal phone. if you are not allowed to have a camera at work then the 8830 would be good for you too.

otherwise, 8330.
    12-02-08 01:19 PM
    I have had both and greatly prefer the 8330 Curve. Size, keyboard are the primary reasons. Two factors to consider though with the 8830. One is if you travel internationally the 8830 has that capability and the Curve does not. Second is if you work in sensitive area's where camera's are not allowed. Again the 8830 does not have a camera and the Curve does. Either way over time you will enjoy the move away from the WM smartphones.
    12-02-08 01:21 PM
    any comments on the software google maps / GPS unlocked ? AIM ? myspace ? mp3 ringtones ? free tethering ? thanks again!
    12-02-08 01:22 PM
    any comments on the software google maps / GPS unlocked ? AIM ? myspace ? mp3 ringtones ? free tethering ? thanks again!
    GPS locked. have to subscribe to VZ Nav for $9.99. About VZ Navigator

AIM, you can download deom BlackBerry and it uses DATA. http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/doe...essages-99468/

You can have mp3 ringtones.

tethering is not free. it's $30 extra when added to an Unlimited Wireless Email plan for BB. BroadbandAccess Connect: Quick Start Tethering Guide

i have the wiki app and it's great!

* i don't use myspace so i can't answer that. i think there is an app.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-02-08 at 01:37 PM.
    12-02-08 01:24 PM
    1: No, GPS is locked on verizon (may change one day? who knows). I have heard the storm has it unlocked, but i'm not 100% about that.

1.5: i've gone 3-4 days between charges, it all depends on usage etc.

2: I use both AIM and myspace apps also, and haven't had a lot of problems. myspace app is new so it has it's bugs, but mostly it's pretty sweet. I use the AIM client directly from the blackberry web-site, none of the third party stuff and it's excellent and doesn't increase battery drain by much

3: Not sure about the 8830 but the 8330 I know has a SD slot so you can add several gigs of space for music etc to it, also there are some pretty good media apps out there to use if you like. and yes, I use several MP3's as my ringtones.

4: Most web-sites I go to I can see pretty well with no problems, and a lot of places now have mobile sites also. Opera mini would help you out if the default browser doesn't display like you want it to.

5: No Clue. There are several apps out there, but not sure on that one.

6: I believe verizon charges extra for this. I have an air card through my company, so i've never tried tethering.

7: i've watched vids on youtube before, never been a problem.

Each of the devices have different features. I chose the 8330 personally, and love it. I take a lot of pictures for work, so I got the 8330 cause of the camera and so forth. It's really all about preference.
    Last edited by tehmonkeh; 12-02-08 at 01:29 PM.
    12-02-08 01:25 PM
    Ok in reading I think you need a more in-depth response:

1. Google maps is available for the curve but you'll have to input your beginning and ending addresses and what not. It doesn't do turn-by-turn gps though just navigation so you'll have to go step by step yourself when navigating with it.

1.5 I can chat on jivetalk for about 30-45 minutes a day, send/receive about 50-75 e-mails/text messages, browse Viigo, and all that stuff and make about 30-40 minutes in phone calls and still have about 30% battery by the end of the day. Mind you I charge over night and unplug the phone from about 4am and charge it at about 10pm.

2. There is AIM mobile available for free using Data not text messages but there is also a program JiveTalk/BeeJiveIM that you have to pay for and can link all of your chat accounts all into one. Up to you. The BB MySpace mobile app is pretty good. Much better compared to the Facebook app by far.

3. Yes you can get 8gb microSD cards for the phone. I personally have a 16gb card and i'm going to be adding in a lot of songs onto that myself. Yes you can use MP3 ringtones. Just place them into the ringtones folder of the microSD card you'll be using.

4. Yes, there is Wapedia. These phones run on the CDMA 3G technologie and trust me it is worlds faster then EDGE. Blackberry Browser is fine IMO. Opera is more for rendering pages in HTML and zooming in which I never liked.

5. They have CNN Mobile and RSS feeds can be accessed through Viigo (which is an excellent program!)

6. Tethering cost an extra $15 or $45 I believe...I don't remember because I don't use that feature myself.

7. The curve is able to use m.youtube.com but only if you upgrade to 4.5 OS...I think don't kill me if I'm wrong haha

After all this I'd say you'd need to get yourself a Curve
    12-02-08 01:26 PM
    you can view youtube videos with 4.3 or 4.5 with a VZW 8330.
    12-02-08 01:34 PM
    guys have been great! i discovered crackberry.com chasing the storm, and since the storms disappointing release i have continued to follow this site. i cant wait to become a blackberry user, i always felt like i had a big toy in my hand with the WM6 device even tho it was functional. it was just so bulky and it slid out like sidekick. i was embarrassed at time replying to txt messages or emails at meetings, from a distance it did look like a sidekick and just felt silly. also WM6 crashes way to much, and just not a robust operating system. I will go play with the curve a little later today at the verizon store! anybody have a guess if the new curve 8900 or the bold will be available on verizons CDMA network anytime soon? im guessing it all just speculation...and thanks again for your guys responses!
    12-02-08 01:38 PM
    My vote is for the curve 8330!!!!

12-02-08 01:44 PM
    I love my CURVE...Hey did you try SPRINT?
    12-02-08 01:59 PM
    I used to have an 8830 and now have an 8330. I say definitely go with the 8330.

1. As far as web browsing goes, the Blackberry browser is very capable and will load just about any website. (IMO).

2. As far as Wikipedia goes; They have a mobile website and its mobile.wikipedia.org but it will also load just fine if you don't like the mobile site and use wikipedia.org. On the other hand, there are dedicated applications for wikipedia you can load onto your BB.

3. The Blackberry is very efficient on power consumption. It will last me about 3 days with low usage and 2-5 bars of signal , and 2 days with heavier usage and 2-5 bars of signal.

Good Luck!!
    12-02-08 03:30 PM
    If you are waiting for the 8900, I would get a used curve so u don't restart the vzw contract. Once the 8900 comes around you can get it at the sale price. And that's if it comes around

12-02-08 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD