Hey guys!

I just bought a used 8900 off eBay and should be receiving it this week!

It is T-Mobile branded, but unlocked.

Some general questions...

- I have an unlimited data/text plan from AT&T, but I have heard that there is a separate "BlackBerry" plan - what exactly won't I be able to do w/o the BB plan?

- Is there a good, free GPS App for the 8900?

Anything else I should know about my 8900?

Thanks!
    08-11-09 10:00 AM
    You won't get a browser, no push email, no data.
    08-11-09 10:07 AM
    There is GoogleMaps but I don't think it will work w/o a blackberry data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 10:12 AM
    08-11-09 10:20 AM
    So even if I already have a data plan, I still can't use the internet on the BB? That doesn't make sense...What exactly wouldn't work? Is it that I could not install the browser, or it literally won't connect to the internet?

(sorry, I'm new to all this stuff)
    08-11-09 11:20 AM
    im also a new blackberry user on pay as you go but have been advised to get a blackberry bolt on from my carrier o2 which is 5 pound a month. does the same thing apply as with alphaberry about not being able to use browser, push email, bbm etc or would i be able to use these with blackberry bolt on with 02? thanks
    08-11-09 11:41 AM
    If you do not get a Blackberry data plan then you will find that most apps will not work. Also you will not get push email or be able to use Blackberry Messenger. You can still find 3rd party apps that will work via the WiFi connection but that will be limited to the range of the WiFi Hotspot and you will also have to invest some time finding out which apps will work and then configuring those apps. I do suggest that you get a data plan but if you do not want to get one then you need to start doing your research now.
    08-11-09 12:09 PM
    What is the cheapest BB Plan I can get that has unlimited text/data?
    08-11-09 12:26 PM
    With AT&T the unlimited text is a separate option and that is $20 right there. I think the BIS plan is around $35, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Just check there site and its all listed there.
    08-11-09 12:35 PM
    I see that AT&T lists a "BlackBerry Personal" and "BlackBerry Personal Bundle" options.

The Personal one is unlimited data for $30/month and the Personal Bundle is $50/month for unlimited data and text

Right now I'm on a family plan where I have a $10/month unlimited data and a $30/month unlimited text for all the lines on the Family Talk Plan. = $40 total

So, I'll either have to just get the $30/month BB Personal Plan and keep the Family Unlimited Text $30/month (so $60 total), OR, cancel the Unlimited Family Text and get the BB Personal Bundle.

So either way I'll be losing money on this...either $10/month or $20. Ugghhhh why does AT&T have to make this so complicated?
    08-11-09 12:57 PM
    You're not really "losing money" as you put it, instead you are gaining Blackberry features. If I were you, would keep the $30 family texting option since that covers more than one phone (I am assuming), drop the $10 data you have on there now and add the $30 BIS add-on. It is going to cost more for a Blackberry data plan regardless of the carrier you are with, that is just how it is.
    08-11-09 01:04 PM
    Unlimited blackberry data plan from AT&T (BIS) I believe is $30/month. Plus any texting plan you wish to get.
    08-11-09 01:10 PM
    Thanks for the help aristile; that's probably what I'll end up doing.
    08-11-09 01:11 PM
    Just thought of something...

My old SIM card (the one I'll be putting in my BB) says "3G" on it because my old phone (LG Vu) had 3G, so will it work correctly in my 8900 or will the 3G thing screw it up?

Anyone know?
    08-11-09 01:25 PM
    Just thought of something...

My old SIM card (the one I'll be putting in my BB) says "3G" on it because my old phone (LG Vu) had 3G, so will it work correctly in my 8900 or will the 3G thing screw it up?

Anyone know?
    The SIM card will be fine. If it does give you problems (which it shouldn't) then you can just go to the store and get a new one.

No problem on the help and you are welcome.
    08-11-09 01:42 PM
    alphaberry, if you don't want to pay the cost of the BB plan but get a phone with similar features, I would spring for an unbranded Nokia E71. That phone is great, it ran with the Bold in its time. The E71 is the size of the 8900 and is very thin. The unbranded E71, not the E71x that AT&T sells will work with your $10/month data. That E71 goes for $275-$300 brand new (the E71, not the E71x).
    08-11-09 01:49 PM
    Too late Godzilla.

I guess this will teach me to do more research next time.
    08-11-09 01:53 PM
    aphaberry,

Drop the $10 plan and add the $30 or $35 plan. I can tell you that you WILL get your money's worth with a BB plan. As you have time, browse these forums. There are more things to do with these new BB's, then you could ever imagine.
    08-11-09 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD