Hello!

I am a new BB user, and I just wanted to post some questions, and I would really appreciate any info. I just bought a BB 8900 from eBay. The phone came with a t mobile sim card.

1. First what should i do with that sim card? I took it out since it has a pin lock. I just want to know if i am getting billed for that sim card?

I have read a lot of horrible stories about people getting billed thousands of dollars, and I cant afford to get billed a thousand bucks. Heck i cant even get billed a hundred right now! Anyways, I am planning to unlock the phone and put a prepaid sim card on the bb.

2. My second question is if say i do not put a sim card on there, is there anyway someone may ever bill me for using the internet. See i can use the internet using wifi, but i cannot turn off my data service because then the wifi wont work (i know weird but apparently people are experiencing the same thing).

3. Say i did put on my sim card on the bb. Is there anyway they charged me if i go over my minutes for using the internet?

3. When u click on app world, it says "data service not operational". But when i click on facebook, it is all good. Any idea why? I read somewhere that you can only access some apps if you have bis or bes. True? if so is there any way around it?

Some will probably say why i bought the damn thing if im not going to have data plan. Heck i dont know either. I just figured i needed a new phone (my old phone i bought in 2003... yeah i know). Sorry if the questions seems very stupid.

CHEERS!!! Thanks again. Any info about how to make a bb without dataplan badass wild be super awesome.
    08-04-10 07:45 AM
    All that i can asnwer is
    3) You have to have a data plan for the internet through BIS or BES
    4) App world is probally run through the BIS and can not be run through wifi
    (may be wrong but trying to help)
    08-04-10 08:05 AM

I am a new BB user, and I just wanted to post some questions, and I would really appreciate any info. I just bought a BB 8900 from eBay. The phone came with a t mobile sim card.

1. First what should i do with that sim card? I took it out since it has a pin lock. I just want to know if i am getting billed for that sim card?
    Since the SIM you removed is PINLOCKED, it's useless to you, so no charges will be charged to you. So unless you take over an existing account, there is no way to get charged for an account that belongs to someone else. But if you took over an existing account, you'd know it, and at that time it would be your account.

2. My second question is if say i do not put a sim card on there, is there anyway someone may ever bill me for using the internet. See i can use the internet using wifi, but i cannot turn off my data service because then the wifi wont work (i know weird but apparently people are experiencing the same thing).
    As long as you are able to access Wifi without a SIM card in the phone, you won't have to worry about charges.

3. Say i did put on my sim card on the bb. Is there anyway they charged me if i go over my minutes for using the internet?
    Since you plan to use prepay, there is no way to go over you prepaid amount. Once you reach the prepaid limit, you have to pay more, to continue to keep using the phone. At least that is how it has been for all my friends that have prepaid accounts.

But as you know, if you have a post paid account, you will be charged for anything on your account that is not setup as unlimited, be that voice, text or data, that is NOT Wifi. So you go over on data, that is not Wifi, you will be charged. So make sure you know what you are paying for, and what you are not paying for, before using anything that is pay per use.

4. When u click on app world, it says "data service not operational". But when i click on facebook, it is all good. Any idea why? I read somewhere that you can only access some apps if you have bis or bes. True? if so is there any way around it?
    Simple answer:
    Some apps are made to work with Wifi only and other apps must have a Blackberry Data Plan to work.

Some will probably say why i bought the damn thing if im not going to have data plan. Heck i dont know either. I just figured i needed a new phone (my old phone i bought in 2003... yeah i know). Sorry if the questions seems very stupid.
    Some might wonder that, most won't care, because you bought the phone to use it the way you want to use it.
    08-04-10 03:27 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply... Since i cant use app world, does that mean i cant download any apps? I can still download apps from my computer and upload it to my bb right? See im still waiting for the data cable to be shipped.
    08-04-10 03:53 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply... Since i cant use app world, does that mean i cant download any apps? I can still download apps from my computer and upload it to my bb right? See im still waiting for the data cable to be shipped.
    You can download over the air (OTA) from any number of websites, like the Store here on Crackberry, or the maker of the apps, will often offer their own sites as an alternate option for downloading apps. But any app that is only setup for download through App World only, will be sadly not something you will be able to download, until it's offered else where.

And yes some apps may be downloaded to your computer and installed to the device that way.
    08-05-10 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD